Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cyber(nota)truck even more Not a truck than I first thought

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thing is looking more and more like a young man's toy and nota truck.
I think the rollaway bed (Notavault, the only vaults I know with water in them have dead people in them) cover is one of the greatest fails in bedcovers that I have ever noticed. I expect that thing to be more negative as owners have to deal with it. And it ain't a damn tonneau cover. Look it up if you think you know I am wrong. Elon calls a turd a jewel and so many fools start making turd jewelry.
It was a royal f-up for God Elon to think that something that has more moving parts than the rest of the vehicle would be good.
I expressed some concerns that the rollaway door would be waterproof early on. And no one agreed with me. Several "sources" scoffed at the idea that it would leak.
The whole rollaway bed cover is a fail. It stops the bed from being useful to store stuff in because it isn't even going to protect it from the rain. It can't be used in true "Tesla camp mode" because the geniuses engineered it so there is no way to sleep in it. It isn't set up to get the HVAC into it. And if it did have HVAC going to it the air would leak out through the idiotic rollaway bedcover. And even if someone did then they'd really think they were in a coffin once they closed the rollaway lid. It would be dangerous... imagine having to get out of it in a hurry....and is there a manual crank for the bedcover? Think about it. Elon didn't.
It'd be best to think it was engineered to be a turd on wheels except for all the sharp edges.
So the score card is:
First Roadster Hard fail
Model 3 Great EV. Strong on the E not so not on the V. It is butt ugly, and looks like... an average car with duck lips.
Model X Niche product (And our second sign that elon's mind and staff cannot design a car for functionality.
Model S. A success in all things hidden. And an acceptable body in both function and look.
Cyber(nota)truck... So much good research and engineering that would be great for any car, but not a damn thing special in the truck area, especially considering functionality. Anyone getting a Cyber(nota)truck does not get a truck. It is a play toy. A thing to get so people will look at you. Anything that is great about it would be "great" in any previous or future car...not a truck.
Repeatedly the design teams at Tesla fail to deliver. Everything great about Tesla vehicles is done on the engineering side. Mainly electrical engineering and software.
When separating the drivetrain and software from the rest of the vehicles it is obvious.
Tesla has not excelled or even lead by any degree when it comes to physical design and functionality. period.
Is anyone else confused? So far, I think I've read the Cybertruck can't be considered a truck because the tonneau isn't waterproof. I'm not a "truck guy," so this is a genuine question: are all truck covers waterproof and is that a core feature?

Is anyone else confused? So far, I think I've read the Cybertruck can't be considered a truck because the tonneau isn't waterproof. I'm not a "truck guy," so this is a genuine question: are all truck covers waterproof and is that a core feature?
Yes you are confused. I have Not heard or read anyone claiming that the definition of a truck includes a "waterproof" bed. Just the opposite is true. By definition, a complete definition, A pick-up truck is sold with an "open" bed. By promoting the cyberNOTAtruck as having a safe "enclosed" "vault" the manufacturers eliminate it from the Pick-up Truck category. ANd NO, just because it has a very piss-poor, leaking, heavy, trunk cover that can be opened so stuff can be put in it and left open doesn't qualify it as a truck. The vehicle is not sold in any other way but with the turdneau cover, and it is advised to keep the trunk area closed to improve aerodynamics and attractiveness.
Plain, simple, and obvious, The roll top desk feature is about as stupid an idea can be. It is huge in terms of its weight. And it does very little that is positive. And it hinders the use of the vehicle for much more useful purposes like those that could be used if the cabin had a "pass-through" function. The two biggest would be to store and haul and secure larger items such as surfboards, fishing rods, kayaks, paddleboards, and many construction tools and materials.

No one has discussed how absurd the "feature" ruins the Cyberturd.

Here's something Tesla is not proud of at all!
They have not given the weight of the Turdneau cover and its housing, motor, gears, and braces. With weight such one of the main issues with cars and EV's in particular If The turdneau cover created a weight improvement over other covers (or not having the stupid thing even a part of the design!) the Sales branch of Tesla would have a PowerPoint slide showing it.
But no one at Tesla is fool enough to even check if that is a possibility. They probably are actively trained to deflect any inquiry into the added weight of the Trudeau cover, and how much it hampers efficiency.

Reactions: TessP100D
Here's something Tesla is not proud of at all!
They have not given the weight of the Turdneau cover and its housing, motor, gears, and braces. With weight such one of the main issues with cars and EV's in particular If The turdneau cover created a weight improvement over other covers (or not having the stupid thing even a part of the design!) the Sales branch of Tesla would have a PowerPoint slide showing it.
But no one at Tesla is fool enough to even check if that is a possibility. They probably are actively trained to deflect any inquiry into the added weight of the Trudeau cover, and how much it hampers efficiency.

Doesn't matter......... you can stand on it, that's innovation.

The Tailgate should have its own thread also, the Fanbois are now saying Legacies are stuck in the past with Tailgate steps and should just add air suspension. One of the Fanbois even said it's real easy to reach over the side of the Cybertruck to get crap out that you dont need a Tailgate step lmao.....are these people blind?

The Tailgate should have its own thread also, the Fanbois are now saying Legacies are stuck in the past with Tailgate steps and should just add air suspension. One of the Fanbois even said it's real easy to reach over the side of the Cybertruck to get crap out that you dont need a Tailgate step lmao.....are these people blind?

Image 6.jpeg

Reactions: TessP100D
Yes you are confused. I have Not heard or read anyone claiming that the definition of a truck includes a "waterproof" bed. Just the opposite is true. By definition, a complete definition, A pick-up truck is sold with an "open" bed. By promoting the cyberNOTAtruck as having a safe "enclosed" "vault" the manufacturers eliminate it from the Pick-up Truck category. ANd NO, just because it has a very piss-poor, leaking, heavy, trunk cover that can be opened so stuff can be put in it and left open doesn't qualify it as a truck. The vehicle is not sold in any other way but with the turdneau cover, and it is advised to keep the trunk area closed to improve aerodynamics and attractiveness.
Plain, simple, and obvious, The roll top desk feature is about as stupid an idea can be. It is huge in terms of its weight. And it does very little that is positive. And it hinders the use of the vehicle for much more useful purposes like those that could be used if the cabin had a "pass-through" function. The two biggest would be to store and haul and secure larger items such as surfboards, fishing rods, kayaks, paddleboards, and many construction tools and materials.

No one has discussed how absurd the "feature" ruins the Cyberturd.
lol what..?

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
My F150 has a cover and it is waterproof - mostly. A tiny bid of water gets in, but I can rely on things staying dry. The Tesla engineers had what 5-6 years to design it. And yet they still couldn’t get it right. That’s the point.

Reactions: jebinc and T3SLAROD

Those fanbois that are saying that never owned a truck… there’s that

My F150 has a cover and it is waterproof - mostly. A tiny bid of water gets in, but I can rely on things staying dry. The Tesla engineers had what 5-6 years to design it. And yet they still couldn’t get it right. That’s the point.

Basically they could have done the same tonneau cover without covering the whole back

Last edited:
I thought point was whether we can call it a truck. 🙊
Btw, since we want to be pedantic about labelling, I don't think you can call your F150's cover "waterproof" given your description. Can we call it a truck though? 🤷‍♂️

• Funny
I thought point was whether we can call it a truck. 🙊
Btw, since we want to be pedantic about labelling, I don't think you can call your F150's cover "waterproof" given your description. Can we call it a truck though? 🤷‍♂️

Sure, it comes without a Tonneau cover giving the the Owner the option to cover the bed or not.

But you might be right, can we call it a Truck since it’s the best selling Vehicle not just truck in America 🤔

Sure, it comes without a Tonneau cover giving the the Owner the option to cover the bed or not.

But you might be right, can we call it a Truck since it’s the best selling Vehicle not just truck in America 🤔
I bet it really grinds your gear that the lightning sales have dropped off and no one is paying attention to it. I can tell it occupies a lot of your headspace.

• Funny
Reactions: Yelobird and jebinc
I bet it really grinds your gear that the lightning sales have dropped off and no one is paying attention to it. I can tell it occupies a lot of your headspace.

Not really, I have no investment in Ford and am not a die hard fan.

Tesla Fans are really trying hard to justify the mid pack specs but keeping coming up short…

As of now the F-150 is not only the best selling vehicle in America but also the best selling EV Truck in America.

Speaking of attention, that’s what really occupies CT buyers or else they’d be looking at better EV Trucks like the Rivian or Lightning…. Hmmmmm

I really don't understand the anti CT threads particularly here on TMC. Don't get me wrong I don't like the CT and will not trade my Lightning in for one. BUT the criticisms just seem over the top. Bordering on hate. It's just not that bad.

I can't even imagine why folks thought the tonneau cover would be water proof. None of the after market tonneau covers are waterproof. NONE. They are not marketed as a replacement for a camper cover. And the amount of water that gets in is minimal. Just not an issue for the entire truck world before now. In fact real truck owners are laughing. (Read they thought it wouldn't leak???) The CT is no different and is actually an improvement over the aftermarket rolling covers. You don't lose bed space with a box at the rear of the bed. And it comes with the truck!

The disappointment over what we thought we'd get (I do have a reservation) is real but then were the hell were you guys when they switched everything on my Plaid +? No quad motor, no 500 mile range, price increases etc. This is truly not a new turn. We've been here before. And will this truck work for a lot of folks, sure. Is it the best truck ever made. I don't think so, but you know what it doesn't matter what I think. What matters is what the guys and gals putting their $ down think. Will the CT market change over the next couple of years? Yeah perceptions will be drastically different after a year or so of production. I just don't get why all the negative threads e.g. Not a truck, Cyberturd etc.

But to say it's ugly etc is like criticizing someone's kid because he/she is not a pretty as yours. Just seems mean spirited. If you don't like it don't buy one.

I really don't understand the anti CT threads particularly here on TMC. Don't get me wrong I don't like the CT and will not trade my Lightning in for one. BUT the criticisms just seem over the top. Bordering on hate. It's just not that bad.

I can't even imagine why folks thought the tonneau cover would be water proof. None of the after market tonneau covers are waterproof. NONE. They are not marketed as a replacement for a camper cover. And the amount of water that gets in is minimal. Just not an issue for the entire truck world before now. In fact real truck owners are laughing. (Read they thought it wouldn't leak???) The CT is no different and is actually an improvement over the aftermarket rolling covers. You don't lose bed space with a box at the rear of the bed. And it comes with the truck!

The disappointment over what we thought we'd get (I do have a reservation) is real but then were the hell were you guys when they switched everything on my Plaid +? No quad motor, no 500 mile range, price increases etc. This is truly not a new turn. We've been here before. And will this truck work for a lot of folks, sure. Is it the best truck ever made. I don't think so, but you know what it doesn't matter what I think. What matters is what the guys and gals putting their $ down think. Will the CT market change over the next couple of years? Yeah perceptions will be drastically different after a year or so of production. I just don't get why all the negative threads e.g. Not a truck, Cyberturd etc.

But to say it's ugly etc is like criticizing someone's kid because he/she is not a pretty as yours. Just seems mean spirited. If you don't like it don't buy one.

Some of it is just making fun of all the garbage we heard for 4 years about this thing. Even leading up the reveal some of this fan boys thought they would still get 500 miles, $39k, pass through window, endless towing miles……That’s it. Again, not a big deal.

Every manufacturer has forums where owners criticize their product, this seems to be the only forum where if you say anything bad about Tesla you are automatically a “troll” “hater” “paid shill” “shorting T$LA stock”.

Some of us want a better product that we know Tesla can deliver.

as the market leader Tesla is in the position to “change the game.” Instead they present CT in its current state. It’s not hate but rather disappointment. Myself and others are willing to pay a premium for game changing product. Plaid was that, CT is not.

Stay here for a while… you will get it. The Cyberturd is a disaster. Nothing that Elon promised.