Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck and FSDb

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've just learned that the Tesla cybertruck at this time does not have autopilot. One speculation is that it is because the CT's steer by wire innovation. Thinking about this further it could be autopilot software is more complicated because of CT's variable turn ratio. That is just driving down the straight away road the steering ratio is small but when making sharp turns the ratio is larger. This is what makes CT's ability to completely turn around ability without the normal hand over hand manipulation of the steering wheel possible. So my question to software control designers is how much more complex and difficult is it to write autopilot software with this added feature of variable turns ratio steering?

I've just learned that the Tesla cybertruck at this time does not have autopilot. One speculation is that it is because the CT's steer by wire innovation. Thinking about this further it could be autopilot software is more complicated because of CT's variable turn ratio. That is just driving down the straight away road the steering ratio is small but when making sharp turns the ratio is larger. This is what makes CT's ability to completely turn around ability without the normal hand over hand manipulation of the steering wheel possible. So my question to software control designers is how much more complex and difficult is it to write autopilot software with this added feature of variable turns ratio steering?
Every variable in this equation is known given it is a drive by wire. Totally doable.

Reactions: Nack and scottf200
There seems to be some confusion on this topic. As others have said, the cybertruck doesn't even have autopilot at the moment. Elon has stated that fsd on cybertruck is currently lowest priority.

The 6 month delay is misquoted from Elon talking about hw4 cars pre cybertruck release:

Personally, this is a man that promises the world is constantly 2 weeks away. Actual smart summon, robotaxis, actually working autowipers(the most elusive tesla tech), etc. He says fsd for cybertruck is lowest priority and doesn't even speculate a time frame. I'd guess it will be a while. Probably a year at the earliest and not before normal teslas get ui v12, and maybe not before fsd beta v12 goes wide.

If you love fsd, I'd wait on getting a cybertruck. Who knows if they will discover the cybertruck needs additional hardware to get fsd working safely. Remember everything that was promised for plaidium cars but never delivered to the first models? (Steam, rear Bluetooth, auto rotating screens (which wasn't a promise but still missing)) I know fsd would be a worse missing feature than those things but experience has taught us to never buy a tesla for what is promised in the future. Instead for what it has now.

It doesn't even have ap now. So, make your own informed decision.

At least Tesla is not trying to rip-off CT owners for vaporware!
Once they get thru the Foundation order you can be sure FSD will be an option to purchase (and many did when making their "reservation").

Via: Tesla FSD Cost and Price Increase History

KfY2oOZ.jpg