Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck Baja

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Here you go. First video of one on extremely mild off road. Crappy articulation, spinning tires, creaky frame. :oops:
that's embarrasing. Either wrong tire choice (but why wouldn't they use off-road tires for that terrain?) or the vehicle just struggles badly going up a dirt hill with small rocks. The Creaky frame/ flexing body is something entirely else. Hope the doors still close after that....

last but not least - they are testing off-roading ~1 months before delivery ? shouldn't that have been tested years ago?

that's embarrasing. Either wrong tire choice (but why wouldn't they use off-road tires for that terrain?) or the vehicle just struggles badly going up a dirt hill with small rocks. The Creaky frame/ flexing body is something entirely else. Hope the doors still close after that....

last but not least - they are testing off-roading ~1 months before delivery ? shouldn't that have been tested years ago?
I think the hill is paved with loose dirt, you wouldn’t hear tire screech on dirt. They look like AT tires to me and I think ~34-35’s.

My bet is a combination of: #1 mostly the air suspension that limits articulation which makes it more likely to have 1 or 2 wheels off the ground or have little weight on them therefor making slip way more likely, the air sprung Jeeps have this issue as well. #2 little to no off road testing or benchmarking. #3 large rims/low sidewalls. #4 super heavy truck. #5 Teslas history of marginal traction control systems. #6 massive instant torque of EV motors

I think the hill is paved with loose dirt, you wouldn’t hear tire screech on dirt. They look like AT tires to me and I think ~34-35’s.

My bet is a combination of: #1 mostly the air suspension that limits articulation which makes it more likely to have 1 or 2 wheels off the ground or have little weight on them therefor making slip way more likely, the air sprung Jeeps have this issue as well. #2 little to no off road testing or benchmarking. #3 large rims/low sidewalls. #4 super heavy truck. #5 Teslas history of marginal traction control systems. #6 massive instant torque of EV motors
sounds about right. Funny how GM did that testing before launching the Hummer EV and Rivian did the same with the R1T. Both do very well offroading.

With a software-configurable traction control system, and ordinary/expected hardware design changes following early prototypes as mfg-line-assembled Release Candidate vehicles become available, it is totally normal for any manufacturer to be fully characterizing a number of traction/suspension/ride/power-use/energy-use/tires/etc. during this phase of the product development lifecycle.

Instead of "embarrasing", it's merely characterization of diff RC vehicles with diff setups (incl highway tires, as on some of these). The engineers will use that data to set up the v1 release version of the software. Cause, inevitably, some Cybertrucks will be driven on steep hills of various types with non-off-road tires and air suspension in various states. Also, I would expect to see many tweaks of such vehicle control parameters month to month after Cybertrucks are delivered to initial public users late this month; and beyond software tweaks, I would not be surprised if new "modes" of vehicle operation might not become available later on as the public sends hundreds of these trucks through their paces in the wild. Tesla always does iterative design & development.

What would be off-kilter analysis would be to assume that Tesla is only testing "that" now, rather than "years ago", just 'cause you saw one RC Cybertruck make a single climb up one hill on one particular off-road test location with one particular vehicle configuration (suspension, air, ...) and tires. 🤷‍♂️

Cybertruck Guy disagrees with TFL on the Offroad capabilities of Cybertruck
Without even watching it

Because of the size, weight, suspension, no locking diff, etc., it's not going to be a great baja or off-road vehicle. It should be better than a standard 1/2 ton pickup. The Rivian is considered great for what it is, but still not Raptor/Jeep/purpose built vehicles. Doesn't mean it won't be able to handle some off-road terrains.

Edit: He agrees with me somewhat, especially with gearing (didn't talk about locking differential). He's saying it shouldn't be weighed against purpose built vehicles/trims and thinks it's closer to the HMMV, but believes it's the best "stock" off-roading vehicle, which is logical based on specs, but impossible to state until the actual reveal/review.

Last edited:
Without even watching it

Because of the size, weight, suspension, no locking diff, etc., it's not going to be a great baja or off-road vehicle. It should be better than a standard 1/2 ton pickup. The Rivian is considered great for what it is, but still not Raptor/Jeep/purpose built vehicles. Doesn't mean it won't be able to handle some off-road terrains.

Edit: He agrees with me somewhat, especially with gearing (didn't talk about locking differential). He's saying it shouldn't be weighed against purpose built vehicles/trims and thinks it's closer to the HMMV, but believes it's the best "stock" off-roading vehicle, which is logical based on specs, but impossible to state until the actual reveal/review.
The best stock off road vehicles I can think of (for different purposes) and my prediction is the CT (or Rivian) will not be close to any of them bone stock. Jeep Wrangler (rubicon), for bronco (Sasquatch and raptor), ford f150 raptor, Toyota Land Cruiser, Toyota Tacoma TRD pro, MB G550, ram TRX, ram 2500 power wagon, Colorado ZR2

I was thinking I should give an opinion of what the CT will be able to do off road.

My guess is it will be comparable to most standard consumer trucks (ridgeline, Santa Cruz, non “off road” versions of f150/250, ram, Silverado, tundra, …). It will do just fine on grass, dirt/gravel roads, light mud, boat ramps, so what the vast majority of truck owners consider off road.