Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck towing Airstream

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you make up the majority of the range that you lost going uphill on the downhill side? Towing through West Virginia and picking up range on the Downhill side would be amazing. Same with I 24 going through Tennessee.
No. For in the mountains You gain back, up to about %25 what you use going up and going up you use 2x-3x what you do on flat ground. When I drive to Fish the resurrection I go over 3 passes. And in my 3 average 25-30% more then I use driving on flat. Towing will be similar. My bet is Up and down (like you mentioned) you will use 30-50% more than on flat ground.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Those are amazing views. I love driving through areas with views like that.
Just get in the Car and drive on the Backroads.
Find a Restuarant where the locals eat out in the middle of nowhere.

If you search the Internet for 'scenic lookout drives in usa' you will find some amazing places.

The only issue with EVs, it is often difficult to find a charger near a lookout location,
so you are limited to about half your range distance from a charging station.

And often you will be off any Cell coverage in the case you might run out of power,
unless you get a Starlink antenna or a new phone with sattelite service.

I am am considering getting some solar panels so I would be able to chrge a little bit while doing a day hike trip.

Note: Estimated 8 miles for a day of charge with this basic setting.​

Last edited:
No. For in the mountains You gain back, up to about %25 what you use going up and going up you use 2x-3x what you do on flat ground. When I drive to Fish the resurrection I go over 3 passes. And in my 3 average 25-30% more then I use driving on flat. Towing will be similar. My bet is Up and down (like you mentioned) you will use 30-50% more than on flat ground.
You will use way more energy (battery range) going up hill. Way more.

Difference with an ICE is you can refuel quickly (not a 45 min SC stop every <2hrs). And you can carry gas cans when traveling to more remote places while camping.

I’m sick of 8-9 mpg towing with my LX570, I was hoping for a 500 mile truck so I could get 150-200 towing. Silverado EV with its >200kwh battery is looking better and better.

Unfortunately the CT just isn’t there for towing a camper, that is unless you only camp within 50 miles of your house.

There is absolutely no need to stop for 45 minutes at a Supercharger.

The Silverado EV? Well, let's see if it actually makes it into mass production. And it really isn't going to make that much difference. If you don't like sitting for 2 hrs at a Supercharger, you're going to hate the 3 hrs in the Silverado EV.

Towing with the Cybertruck does indeed have a few challenges, but they can be mitigated to create a good experience. I've towed with my Model Y and still had a good trip.

The Silverado EV? Well, let's see if it actually makes it into mass production. And it really isn't going to make that much difference. If you don't like sitting for 2 hrs at a Supercharger, you're going to hate the 3 hrs in the Silverado EV.

Towing with the Cybertruck does indeed have a few challenges, but they can be mitigated to create a good experience. I've towed with my Model Y and still had a good trip.
Tesla claims up to 40% in 15 min. So let’s say 80% in 30-45 min real world conditions plus the time it takes to pull off the road you are on, possibly disconnect the trailer, possibly hook back up, get back on the road,… so now I’m saying at least 45 min.

You really think the Silverado won’t make it? Fleet trucks will switch over as a no brainer due to cost savings from EVs and government incentives. The company my buddy works for already has >50 delivered. With 250 total on order.

No. Why do you think that the Cybertruck has 340 miles of Interstate range?
And since they all have A-T tires on it, they aren't that high yet, only about 317.

And think, you are towing something that is heavier than the truck and significantly taller than the truck.

Any ICE truck is going into single digits hauling this thing. Sure, you may get 300 miles on a tank, but it's going to cost north of $100 to fill it back up.

It’s not any cheaper to charge back up

Oh brother…. Just get a 3/4 ton diesel

Reactions: tradosaurus
Tesla claims up to 40% in 15 min. So let’s say 80% in 30-45 min real world conditions plus the time it takes to pull off the road you are on, possibly disconnect the trailer, possibly hook back up, get back on the road,… so now I’m saying at least 45 min.

You really think the Silverado won’t make it? Fleet trucks will switch over as a no brainer due to cost savings from EVs and government incentives. The company my buddy works for already has >50 delivered. With 250 total on order.

I saw nearly 50% in 15 minutes. And 80% is more like 45 minutes. At 0-30% at a 250kW Supercharger, you are charging between 1000-500 mph. Above 50%, you drop to below 500 mph.
I can drop and later hitch in less than a cumulative 5 minutes.

I was surprised to see the Chevy is allowing dealer orders starting last week. So maybe there is hope. But there has been lots of issues with the Ultium platform and Mary no longer seems interested in pure EVs.

Oh brother…. Just get a 3/4 ton diesel

Except for a larger towing capacity, there is nothing that makes me want a 3/4 ton diesel and there's plenty of reasons why I don't.
Driving a 3/4 ton as a daily driver is just stupid and sitting the 3/4 ton next to the trailer, only to be used when trailering is only slightly better.

Renting one makes sense, but then unless you drive another vehicle, you have to drive the damn thing around once you get there.

And I really hate watching fuel pumps pass $100, and truly abhor them passing $200!!!!

Silverado EV with its >200kwh battery is looking better and better.
It fails charging so often it’s a chore to live with.

2-2.5mi/kWh - not towing. On the oe street tires.
1:1 while towing, like the Hummer/CT/X/R1S&T

Attachments

• IMG_6471.jpeg
    IMG_6471.jpeg
    683.1 KB · Views: 7
I believe that Tesla is ramping up the number of pull through chargers at their Supercharger facilities. In the past, people towing heavy loads, for long distances was tiny. As the markeplace changes they will put in more configurations as well as longer charging cables.

Believe they are also going to offer SuperCharger cable extenders, as more non-Tesla owners will want to plug in, and they often have their charge ports in the wrong places.

We will also begin to see more on the Highway mega chargers for Commercial trucks. They will probably have chargers on both sides, to cut their charging times in half

Currently Tesla has shown that their vehices are pretty good towing...for relatively short distances. Diesels, in big trucks are still the go to choice for heavy towing over long distances. Buyers can be pretty selective to get something heavy duty enough to handle their commercial and fun stuff towing.
There is still a significant market for vehicles capable of towing a boat to a nearby lake or a camper up to close by Mountain communities. For them, a sturdy EV might still be the best choice.

I have towed several times with my X. IT worked out perfectly for me to bring a golf cart to San Diego, or pull a trailer load of construction material home from Home Depot. Often one vehicle is not the best for several applications, but it can still get the job done.

Except for a larger towing capacity, there is nothing that makes me want a 3/4 ton diesel and there's plenty of reasons why I don't.
Driving a 3/4 ton as a daily driver is just stupid and sitting the 3/4 ton next to the trailer, only to be used when trailering is only slightly better.

Renting one makes sense, but then unless you drive another vehicle, you have to drive the damn thing around once you get there.

And I really hate watching fuel pumps pass $100, and truly abhor them passing $200!!!!
I’ve had tons of 3/4 D, and 1 ton D - Dulies. Not stupid. Bitchen the word you were looking for.