Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla doesn't have the desire nor the manufacturing capability for too many variants. I think Tesla has shown us that they like 2 variants per model. I do think that will expand a bit w/ the CT as I said.

Dual motor small pack (loss leader and will go the way of the $35k M3)
Dual motor large pack (Long Range)
Tri motor large pack (Performance)
Quad motor larger pack (Plaid)

So 3 actual variants. There will be tiny variations in the interior/accessories between the variants.
I don't think it makes sense from a production perspective for 3 different motor setups - it seems to complicated for little gain. I can see a dual and a quad perhaps. Or a dual and a tri. I think the single motor variant will have dated itself from inception to being impractical - like the Model S 40 and 60's...

I don't think it makes sense from a production perspective for 3 different motor setups - it seems to complicated for little gain. I can see a dual and a quad perhaps. Or a dual and a tri. I think the single motor variant will have dated itself from inception to being impractical - like the Model S 40 and 60's...
I definitely agree that the single is DOA. We shall see but I do think that Tesla will want to cover a similar price range as Ford which they could do w/ only dual and tri-motor options. But then I also think that Elon will not let GM keep the crown of most powerful/quickest truck so they will have a quad-motor Plaid version. Depending on how late they are they may start with the dual and tri and then introduce the quad later.

But they could abandon tri motor all together and just have:
Dual motor small pack
Dual motor large pack
Quad motor small pack (and/or non carbon sleeved motors)
Quad motor large pack (Plaid)

We shall see! Eventually ;)

I definitely agree that the single is DOA. We shall see but I do think that Tesla will want to cover a similar price range as Ford which they could do w/ only dual and tri-motor options. But then I also think that Elon will not let GM keep the crown of most powerful/quickest truck so they will have a quad-motor Plaid version. Depending on how late they are they may start with the dual and tri and then introduce the quad later.

Dual motor small pack
Dual motor large pack

I suspect we'll only see 2 models in the first year or more. Once they get production up over 3000 trucks a week they'll start branching out more.

What truck comes first probably depends on battery supply. If they have a lot of 4680 cells, they will likely launch with a high performance quad motor truck (Plaid or LR). If cell production is still tight, then they push out the dual motor with ~300 miles range. Took about 9 months to get up to 2,000 Model Ys a week. They aren't pushing out 4 variants when they only have 1000 trucks a week going out the door.

I'd simplify further and go with just one power train, with different battery sizes and trim levels. Any electric is going to be more than fast enough for a truck buyer. Other factors (payload, towing, range, off road capability) are the greater priorities for owners.

I'd simplify further and go with just one power train, with different battery sizes and trim levels. Any electric is going to be more than fast enough for a truck buyer. Other factors (payload, towing, range, off road capability) are the greater priorities for owners.
Some chunk of users are going to want more than what the dual motors will provide. If they are going to deliver their towing goals and performance goals, they will need tri or quad motors.

For a lot of people, dual motors will be just fine and they won't want to pay more for the quad (or tri).

Unless Tesla can find some way to ship the quad motor for the same cost as the dual motor, they will ship both.

I think in some ways the Cybertruck will be easier/quicker to assemble than a MY or MS. For instance, they can spend time now perfecting the stamping process and then just pre-stamp thousands of trucks without motors and batteries - much like Ford does with the F-150 Lightning - there are a lot of zombie truck bodies waiting for the crucial components, but final assembly is lightning fast(sorry for the pun).

Reactions: Ogre
I think in some ways the Cybertruck will be easier/quicker to assemble than a MY or MS. For instance, they can spend time now perfecting the stamping process and then just pre-stamp thousands of trucks without motors and batteries - much like Ford does with the F-150 Lightning - there are a lot of zombie truck bodies waiting for the crucial components, but final assembly is lightning fast(sorry for the pun).
It was more or less designed to be easy to assemble. If it’s not easier to assemble then the Modek Y they kind of screwed up.

Dual motor small pack
Dual motor large pack

I think this hits the mark.

Only possible reason for a single motor is to try and get the "Low cost" option. the issue is every time to change the manufacturing process it adds cost. having 2 battery packs and 2 motor configurations creates 4 solid models. Make a 300 mile range model as the base a 500 mile extended range for the 2 motor large pack. then the Quad motors will be something like 260 mile range with crazy acceleration and a 460 mile range with really impressive acceleration each with the same packs but adding motors and performance will cost money and range.

Reactions: strider