Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cyclists?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got to see what I’m about to order. And I have to say I am disappointed about the space available to load bikes. I race road, cross, MTB and fat bike.
There is a larger metal brace that hangs so low you can’t get a bike in. No way it will hold a 29er or a fat bike :(
I realize it’s a sedan but I had heard you could lie down back there. I didn’t realize the metal body was that intrusive.
It will be the X for me and I don’t like the looks of it compared to the model 3.
I have used hatchbacks in the past however my favourite bike transport was the diesel VW wagon and the Focus wagon that replaced it.
Will Tesla build a sport wagon?

Finally got to see what I’m about to order. And I have to say I am disappointed about the space available to load bikes. I race road, cross, MTB and fat bike.
There is a larger metal brace that hangs so low you can’t get a bike in. No way it will hold a 29er or a fat bike :(
I realize it’s a sedan but I had heard you could lie down back there. I didn’t realize the metal body was that intrusive.
It will be the X for me and I don’t like the looks of it compared to the model 3.
I have used hatchbacks in the past however my favourite bike transport was the diesel VW wagon and the Focus wagon that replaced it.
Add a hitch and then you can easily carry a few bikes. Model_3_Hitch (1).JPG

Reactions: billh13850
Keeping our Subaru Outback for the same reason (and can't afford 2 Tesla's right now - lol). Can get the road bike in the 3 with a wheel off but not super practical. Wish it were an hatchback, like the S but smaller. I guess the Y is the vehicle that I'm best suited to.

Reactions: billh13850
I get my Colnago in my 3 but have to take the front wheel off. Also have to remove the front wheel on my 6 seat X as well. I have a Yakima rack for my X when I need to transport more than one bike. Heard you could add a hitch on the 3 but I did not research much as I am not really in the need of one.

I load my road bike in my M3 multiple times a week and don't need to take the front wheel off unless I'm putting a bunch of other stuff in the trunk. When I'm loading the bike, I do put a towel over the bottom of the trunk opening to avoid scratching the car when sliding the bike in.

With that said, I previously had a MS, and with the hatchback it was much easier to get the bike (or even two bikes) in.

I get my Colnago in my 3 but have to take the front wheel off. Also have to remove the front wheel on my 6 seat X as well. I have a Yakima rack for my X when I need to transport more than one bike. Heard you could add a hitch on the 3 but I did not research much as I am not really in the need of one.

I’m done with removing wheels. Just open it up and load it. I realize you could load any bike if you disassembled it though.

Keeping our Subaru Outback for the same reason (and can't afford 2 Tesla's right now - lol). Can get the road bike in the 3 with a wheel off but not super practical. Wish it were an hatchback, like the S but smaller. I guess the Y is the vehicle that I'm best suited to.

Ive done very little reading about the Y. But I assume t should allow the loading of a bike or two?
Removing wheels is a pain with a dirty bike and thru axles. Often you need to clean the bike before pulling the axle out as it is mud and ice encrusted.
Sedans are sedans though. I told my wife tonight it won’t be the model 3. I wonder what the pricing on the Y will be?

Ive done very little reading about the Y. But I assume t should allow the loading of a bike or two?
Removing wheels is a pain with a dirty bike and thru axles. Often you need to clean the bike before pulling the axle out as it is mud and ice encrusted.
Sedans are sedans though. I told my wife tonight it won’t be the model 3. I wonder what the pricing on the Y will be?

You know very little about a vehicle that doesn't exist and you believe it will load a bike or two....?

Put my road and 29" MTB in regularly. I throw down a packing blanket to protect the interior then put in the bike. I don't know what kind of skewers you have but it takes me no time to remove and reinstall my front wheel. It's actually quicker on the MTB than the road bike and mud is not a bother. I also use a SeaSucker Bomber Rack to put three bikes up on the roof.

Ever heard of a bike rack?