TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

D owners - Can you hear both motors whirr upon acceleration?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Tuan, May 30, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Tuan

Tuan Member

At first, I thought I heard the front, but i think it's the rear. I don't trust my untrained ears. A friend of mine said he heard both motors emitting different pitches.

2. Khatsalano

Khatsalano Member

I can hear both in my D. The pitch is the same, but the front one is closer to our ears and seems less insulated, so I can hear it more, especially on deceleration. For comparison, go drive an S60 or S85. I test drove an S85 and it's definitely quieter.

That said, I don't think my mission is to have a soundless car. I think the sound of electric whirr is integral to the EV experience. Hearing increasing volume of a warp-drive sounding thing as you apply power to your spaceship is very satisfying.

- K

3. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913

Having owned both an RWD and a D, I can definitely make out the distant whirr/whisper of the front. It's very subtle. I like the sound.

4. Electric700

Electric700 Active Member

Love it :cool:

5. Tdriver

Tdriver Member

Brand new 85D........I can only hear a slight whirr if the radio is not on.

6. chriSharek

chriSharek Member

That's my wife's answer to everything. If you hear something rattling, just turn up the radio! She drives a Jeep Wrangler without doors . . .

7. stevem

stevem Member

Yep, I can hear the same thing.... only when the car is very quiet.

8. NoMoDinos

NoMoDinos Member

Same here! Mostly the front, though. One of the most beautiful sounds in the world to my ears :)

9. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

I definitely hear them both. It works better for listening if you mash the pedal really fast.

10. benjiejr

benjiejr Technogeekextraordinaire

I hear the whirr but I can't say for sure where it's coming from. It's only really noticeable if I have the radio off or if I really get on the accelerator. It sounds like how cars from the future sound in the movies and I actually enjoy it!

11. AMP85D

AMP85D Member

I traded in my previous Model S for the P85D and I can definitely hear the whir from the front and rear on the D. It's most noticeable when the radio is off.

12. Stiction

Stiction Member

Same here. Faint. When punching it a sound like going to warp!
    Telsa: don't change a thing...

13. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

I can only hear the front motor. Back seat passengers have said they can only hear the rear.

14. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

Same here (hear!). I enjoy the sound. My next door neighbor has a Cobra....man that thing is LOUD!....I had him drive the D two weekends ago...he loved the sound....Probably he could actually hear his thoughts for the first time ever.

15. Solarwind

Solarwind Member

I hear a very light whine up to about 50 mph under acceleration them nothing until 130mph, then a definite audible hum. I think both are from front? not sure.