Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damaged Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not junk. Both rear struts blown out and leaking oil, excessive corrosion and coat peeling. 2018, 30k Miles.

PXL_20220414_125308375.jpg
PXL_20220414_125321366.jpg
PXL_20220414_125444192.jpg
PXL_20220414_125452056.jpg
PXL_20220414_125708422.jpg
PXL_20220414_133153701.jpg
PXL_20220414_133319639.jpg

If you've seen me post on these forums, you've probably seen me say "buy once, cry once", or something of the sort. Just trying to save all of you the headaches and cost associated with fixing something like this.

@MasterC17 You're not wrong at all, and the rusted fork looks sketch, but shouldn't any adjustable suspension setup subjected to what that car's been through get some regular cleaning and TLC?

Letting all that build up seems like not a good idea even for higher end road focused/friendly coilovers...

@MasterC17 You're not wrong at all, and the rusted fork looks sketch, but shouldn't any adjustable suspension setup subjected to what that car's been through get some regular cleaning and TLC?

Letting all that build up seems like not a good idea even for higher end road focused/friendly coilovers...
I do not disagree that the owner probably should have done a better job in terms of preventative measures, but my 2018 LR RWD with double the mileage driven in the same conditions shows comparably minimal wear and tear/corrosion on stock components. They are also not blown out.

I suppose you could forgive either the blown shocks or the corrosion, but not both, especially not for the price point these are at.

I was honestly just shocked at the condition they were in given the age and mileage. I don't think it is unfair to expect more from these.

Furthermore, I think it is important to remember that a lot of people are looking for a bolt-in, set it and forget it solution. The majority of people modifying their cars aren't looking for added headaches. Maybe that's just my perception?

I have no dog in this one, but that looks more like the seals blew out and sprayed everywhere, not like a slow leak running down the strut that an occasional cleaning would 'fix'.

Coils do not last forever, the seals do wear you know? However the way those coils were treated is abhorrent. Those are anodized alu and painted steel, it's not gonna last winters and being abused like that, geebus!
I am well aware the seals wear. I suppose I should have clarified they should not be leaking at all given the age/mileage on the dampers. Different story if they had 100k on them. And yes, they have seen winter abuse, but there's plenty of people with coilovers in similarly nasty environments.

I am well aware the seals wear. I suppose I should have clarified they should not be leaking at all given the age/mileage on the dampers. Different story if they had 100k on them. And yes, they have seen winter abuse, but there's plenty of people with coilovers in similarly nasty environments.
Yea and when they are treated like *sugar* they look like that. It's your issue for choosing a type of coil that is not suited to being crapped on and uncared for in winter climates. You should of looked at the stainless inox KW's or other.

Yea and when they are treated like *sugar* they look like that. It's your issue for choosing a type of coil that is not suited to being crapped on and uncared for in winter climates. You should of looked at the stainless inox KW's or other.
Thanks for your feedback. I don't see anywhere in the web description where it says these coilovers are not designed for cold climates.

Can anyone else provide photos of any other aftermarket Coilovers for the Model 3 that are leaking or corroded like these? Redwood, MCS, KW, BC Racing, MPP - did I miss anyone? I would be curious to see if anyone is having these problems with other solutions. The point of forums is to discuss and share these types of concerns and knowledge, is it not? I feel like I've been quite transparent with my experiences from several vendors.

Thanks for your feedback. I don't see anywhere in the web description where it says these coilovers are not designed for cold climates.

Can anyone else provide photos of any other aftermarket Coilovers for the Model 3 that are leaking or corroded like these? Redwood, MCS, KW, BC Racing, MPP - did I miss anyone? I would be curious to see if anyone is having these problems with other solutions. The point of forums is to discuss and share these types of concerns and knowledge, is it not? I feel like I've been quite transparent with my experiences from several vendors.

• Funny
Reactions: dfwatt
Here's a post I did about cleaning my stainless coils. They've been in use a decade.

Not junk. Both rear struts blown out and leaking oil, excessive corrosion and coat peeling. 2018, 30k Miles.

View attachment 793897View attachment 793898View attachment 793899View attachment 793900View attachment 793901View attachment 793902View attachment 793903

If you've seen me post on these forums, you've probably seen me say "buy once, cry once", or something of the sort. Just trying to save all of you the headaches and cost associated with fixing something like this.
Who produced those? Inquiring minds want to know...

If you've seen me post on these forums, you've probably seen me say "buy once, cry once", or something of the sort.
Yes, but aren't you also saying that spending money isn't the way to determine product quality? The only way to know is to wait for a bunch of other people to buy and use something so that it becomes "proven"?

That's the problem with this attitude, is it means it's impossible to have any innovation in quality or cost in the market, as anything cheaper is considered crap and anything new is considered unproven.

Yes, but aren't you also saying that spending money isn't the way to determine product quality? The only way to know is to wait for a bunch of other people to buy and use something so that it becomes "proven"?

That's the problem with this attitude, is it means it's impossible to have any innovation in quality or cost in the market, as anything cheaper is considered crap and anything new is considered unproven.
Is it not fair to put the onus on the manufacturer to prove the quality of their product prior to a mass market launch? Are you saying that consumers should be the guinea pigs?

I mean, to be honest, I think Redwood did an excellent job of showing they were serious and they were building a quality product specifically for the Model 3 market. I certainly had never heard of them before, but I would have been comfortable buying their product.

Alternatively, some manufacturers like AP Racing have a reputation that precedes them. I wasn't concerned about quality when I bought the first AP BBK they sold (retail). And that kit has been fantastic.

And finally, some manufacturers I know are just going to be crap. Like if Megan Racing sold a Coilover kit for the Model 3.

Ultimately, my point is I think we have several good options for coilovers these days and if someone doesn't want to foot the bill and the aggravation of being the guinea pig then I don't see why we should hold that against them.

I bought the first retail set of MCS Coilovers. I think I've done my fair share of guinea pigging.

Ultimately, my point is I think we have several good options for coilovers these days and if someone doesn't want to foot the bill and the aggravation of being the guinea pig then I don't see why we should hold that against them.
Agree 100%, but I'm not the one yelling "BUY ONCE, CRY ONCE" as if it is always possible to know what will be a good product and what will not, and generically, the buy once cry once refrain is against the idea that you shouldn't buy the cheapest thing (cry once) not that you shouldn't buy new designs.

When did this buyer purchase these coilovers, what else was on the market, and what was the price of these against other options? If the answer isn't "lots of other options, many more expensive" then "buy once cry once" doesn't apply.

And finally, some manufacturers I know are just going to be crap. Like if Megan Racing sold a Coilover kit for the Model 3.
Because you have a lot of experience with Megan Racing products, or because they are not expensive enough? Is that just more complex products like coilovers or every single thing MR might ever sell?

Status
Not open for further replies.