Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Cam Error - Says Drive is full but it's nearly empty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It appears this doesn't apply to removable drives.

lol... i was about to correct you and say in windows 10, removable drives do not retain trash cans, so i was gonna ask are you on iOS?

Experiencing the same with a Samsung T5 500gb. Working fine for 3 months then started to fail with the latest updates. Are people formatting to FAT32 or EXFat now that we are supposed to have support?

I use FAT32 using this program to format, and haven't had that problem yet.
Ridgecrop Consultants Ltd
*knocking on wood*

however since i read this thread, i give my car a week tops before i start seeing the same problems you guys are, as my luck always plays out.

lol... i was about to correct you and say in windows 10, removable drives do not retain trash cans, so i was gonna ask are you on iOS?

I use FAT32 using this program to format, and haven't had that problem yet.
Ridgecrop Consultants Ltd
*knocking on wood*

however since i read this thread, i give my car a week tops before i start seeing the same problems you guys are, as my luck always plays out.

Are you on the 2020.8.1 software with MCU1 and AP2.5 - because that seems to be the common issue?

On that note - my drive is continuing to write for about 15 min each day before registering as "FULL". The next day the drive is good to record again - but for 15 min again. Rinse and repeat.

Reactions: Gt1948
I’m in a 2020 Model S Performance built 12/2019 so I don’t think it’s limited by MCU etc.

That's very strange then. If everyone here had MCU1/AP2.5 at least it could point to very specific firmware updates. As this thread doesn't appear very large - this doesn't appear to be affecting too many users. Just S/X owners. People who have gotten the infotainment update (S/X owners with MCU1/AP2.5 configuration) to MCU2/AP3 have seen these issues go away apparently. See post #3103 Tesla confirms infotainment system upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2 for $2500

"I got my USB Drive working again. Just plugged it in. Before I dropped it off, I got the “USB Full” false positive error that everyone is reporting (even on 2020.12), but when I just plugged it in after the upgrade, it works perfectly. Not too sure why as I had 2020.12 before and after the upgrade. Very happy that it’s recording both Sentry and Dashcam again. It’s the S500 - TeslaCam SSD Extreme from PureTesla if anyone is curious."

Would suggest its not related to the format of the drive.

Last edited:
Same issue here, TMS 2018 Mcu1 Ap 2.5.

Tried reformatting and it worked for a couple of hours before the same error came back.

In a Norwegian facebook group we are over 25 people saying we experienced this problem, just today. So its not that few that have this issue i would guess.

Appeared for me too after i didn't empty the recycle bin smoothly, thought it was my problem until it kept appearing even after i used disk utility to re-format. It would record for 10-15 minutes then show the "full, empty recycle bin" error everyone is describing. Tried multiple times with re-formating (FAT32) to no avail.

here's what i did that seems to make a difference:

I plugged it into the computer, manually deleted the "TeslaCam" folder. Emptied the recycle bin, then re-created the TeslaCam folder. Fingers crossed it's been working for about 3 days now. (both sentry and dash cam)

(S75D MCU1 on 2020.12.5)

• Informative
my wife's model 3 (jun 2019) just got this message today.....when she comes home, I will take out drive and empty it.....delete TeslaCam folder and try again......my Model S with 2020.12.5 seems to work ok, but tends to have spotty recording...it sometimes stops and starts recording so when I play back, there is a gap of time missing

There appears to be a bug that corrupts the USB drive partition at times. The sentry viewer is a great step forward but still early in release and seems to carry with it many of the earlier issues with which the Sentry function has always been plagued. It's just a viewer in other words.

It is still a good idea to simply re-partition the drive instead of worrying about hidden files, reformatting or emptying the trash. On a Mac this is easily done in Disk Manager, and with various Windows and Linux tools on other computers.

my wife's M3 is starting to have this issue......she is still on 12.1 because she is taking care of an older friend who cannot do for herself and there is no wi-fi around for her to get the update downloaded......when she is able to be home for a day of two will see if it will download and I will install.....hopefully it will work

Just as I was about to start a support ticket to request 2020.12.5, I see that my car is in the process of downloading it. Hopefully it fixes things up. I'm on 2020.8.2 currently. One odd thing that I noticed recently was that if I just left my drive plugged in with the error, maybe a day or two later when I take a drive, the error on the USB is gone. The error shows back up by the time that I return home though.

Just as I was about to start a support ticket to request 2020.12.5, I see that my car is in the process of downloading it. Hopefully it fixes things up. I'm on 2020.8.2 currently. One odd thing that I noticed recently was that if I just left my drive plugged in with the error, maybe a day or two later when I take a drive, the error on the USB is gone. The error shows back up by the time that I return home though.
12.5 fixed it for me... two days now, solid.