Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Cam issue on 2021 Model 3 LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weird thing I noticed today:

when in park, I get the sentry mode icon AND the dash cam icon with the red dot.

however as soon as I put it into drive the sentry mode icon goes away and the dash cam icon turns grey (no red dot, no x, just grey)
It’s probably not saved under your named profile and it’s saved in the Easy Entry. So turn on DashCam manually and adjust your seat and ensure it says Save where you profile name is and tap the Save tab.

A typical 64gb drive can hold around 5 hours of full HD video - so I think you are fine to just let it record continuously - that would be the safest option in my view -
I think you're correct. It shouldn't hardly waste any energy, right? Plus I just don't see how you can record 1 minute back when the dashcam is turned off, right? The manual says you can 'archive' TEN minutes (not 1) when you touch the dashcam icon while recording, meaning those 10 minutes wouldn't be overwritten. I tried doing the 1-minute trick today, and it didn't work. I either turned on the camera, or turned it off. I noticed at one time there was a 1 minute segment on the recording... BUT only about 5 seconds of footage, so it started recording right there, not the previous minute. Seems like to record anything past, it needs to be on before.

Weird thing I noticed today: when in park, I get the sentry mode icon AND the dash cam icon with the red dot.
Me too. Ha ha. But thinking about it, makes perfect sense. Sentry mode can only be used when the car is parked, so makes sense not to have it while driving :). And while we're in that subject, when it records something, where is the footage? Under the dashcam, or it'd appear under the sentry? Thx.

Oh, and thank you guys for all other replies on this subject; greatly appreciated.

Weird thing I noticed today:

when in park, I get the sentry mode icon AND the dash cam icon with the red dot.

however as soon as I put it into drive the sentry mode icon goes away and the dash cam icon turns grey (no red dot, no x, just grey)
I have the exact same issue. Also, cabin overheat is grayed out and the new games are in “waiting for update” finally. Netflix and Hulu cause the entire screen to reboot. Hoping they fix these issues soon.

Running into the same issue here, 2021 SR+. Dashcam will work for a couple days, and then will suddenly stop working out of nowhere. Sometimes it works after a unplug/replug, sometimes it'll work after a reboot, and sometimes it'll need a full format.

I've tested it with the included Tesla branded Samsung flash drive (128G), a 500GB Sandisk Extreme SSD, and Sandisk 128G Ultra fit flash drive. They all succumb to the issue eventually. This has to be a software issue.

I read on the partition USB thread over one of the sub-forums (forgot the name) that if you format the stick on your computer it works better. Forgot all the specifics, but go there, and it's the first 'sticky' thread on that forum. It also mentioned having to erase common error files that end up causing those issues like once a month or so. It might be that. Check it out, and let us know. Hope this helps.

ON 2020.48.30 for model 3 with AP3.0 - seems I cant get the dash cam the work at all. It might show for a minute and keeps disappearing.

I tried my new 256GB SDHC - it works fine in a PC but the car won't recognize or it says to format it - dashcam appears briefly and disappears. On my model S with AP 3.0 upgrade on 2020.48.30, the same SDHC Card setup is working wtihout issue. I tried exFat, in the car, exFat on teh PC and FAT32 iwth Rufus. Still a no-go

I think this is a tesla issue - hopefully will be fixed on next update??

Are you guys formatting through the car or from a laptop? For those encountering problems, have you double checked what you are doing against the latest Model 3 manual (10/29/20), Pages 74 - 75? There's mention of the flash drive speed as well to check against.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

I see general references to PC mentioned in a few places. Not sure what operating system those are on. I know at one point in time here on the forum people on Windows PC were having issues and they were resolved by downloading a third party utility formatting app and formatting with FAT32 through it because the later Windows OS formatting utility didn't support FAT32. If you are on that OS might want to try going that route to see if it helps.

We're on Macs here and have had no issues with formatting with MS-DOS FAT.

I've been using TeslaCam/Sentry since I guess end of 2018 when I got my car. My husband just upgraded his MCU and has been using a flashdrive in his 3/2017 Model S. It's a great feature to have. Just pulled his flashdrive to see how it was recording there and everything was working well. My Model 3 is on 2020.48.30 and so is his Model S.

Here’s a small related gotcha I found yesterday: I went to play the music from the USB stick I had plugged in in the centre console, and there was nothing there. Instead, lots of camera footage!

It turns out that when you tell the car to format the USB stick, if you have more than one plugged in, it doesn’t always know which one to format. :)

Hey guys, a question. Having a music USB stick in the center console of the new 2021 is a no-go, so I need to reconsider doing a partition on the OEM supplied Tesla USB stick with 128Gb. It used to be 64Gb in 2020, so I'm assuming the extra capacity is needed. But here's the problem: You can only format up to 32Gb on a partitioned USB stick, and that's with an app. So I'd have to leave 96Gb for music, when I only need 4.3Gb, so I was going to go with 10Gb. Now the question is how much space we need for the dashcam and sentry. I always have the dashcam on, in case something happens, but haven't recorded any 10-min segment yet. And haven't used Sentry yet either. There's a thread that says 32Gb is more than enough, but I want to hear from others, before messing with that. Thx.

ON 2020.48.30 for model 3 with AP3.0 - seems I cant get the dash cam the work at all. It might show for a minute and keeps disappearing.

I tried my new 256GB SDHC - it works fine in a PC but the car won't recognize or it says to format it - dashcam appears briefly and disappears. On my model S with AP 3.0 upgrade on 2020.48.30, the same SDHC Card setup is working wtihout issue. I tried exFat, in the car, exFat on teh PC and FAT32 iwth Rufus. Still a no-go

I think this is a tesla issue - hopefully will be fixed on next update??
New updates won’t fix it, I had the same problem with DashCam and Sentry mode, simply stop working. What the SC did was do a hard reset,

You can do it yourself or take it into Tesla so they can do it for you. This is what I had to do to reset the Ohmmu battery error also.

Tesla Model 3 Hard Reset | Mountain Pass Performance

Hey guys, a question. Having a music USB stick in the center console of the new 2021 is a no-go, so I need to reconsider doing a partition on the OEM supplied Tesla USB stick with 128Gb. It used to be 64Gb in 2020, so I'm assuming the extra capacity is needed. But here's the problem: You can only format up to 32Gb on a partitioned USB stick, and that's with an app. So I'd have to leave 96Gb for music, when I only need 4.3Gb, so I was going to go with 10Gb. Now the question is how much space we need for the dashcam and sentry. I always have the dashcam on, in case something happens, but haven't recorded any 10-min segment yet. And haven't used Sentry yet either. There's a thread that says 32Gb is more than enough, but I want to hear from others, before messing with that. Thx.
Dashcam uses up a lot, I usually get 50 minutes of recording, you can buy a 2 Y splitter on Amazon to connect the wireless charger and the data line for the memory sticks. I don’t know what types of USB connections the 2021 model. My 2019 has both USB and not the USB-C. So look for the right Y Splitter.

I read on the partition USB thread over one of the sub-forums (forgot the name) that if you format the stick on your computer it works better. Forgot all the specifics, but go there, and it's the first 'sticky' thread on that forum. It also mentioned having to erase common error files that end up causing those issues like once a month or so. It might be that. Check it out, and let us know. Hope this helps.
This is the one I use and it seems to work well,

Ridgecrop Consultants Ltd

Ridgecrop Consultants Ltd

i seemed to have it working for now by plugging SDHC (high endurance card) and reader directly into left USB (bypassing a USB 3.0 Hub I was using) - I moved the hub to the right and the two charging cables for the phone tray on that one. I've got an old thumbdrive as the mp3 music drive on that hub. I kinda like using the phone charging on the left as it seems faster on the left USB but I'm afraid to touch it since it seems to be working.

Not sure really what the issue is - as I have the same USB 3.0 hub on the 2016 model S upgraded to HW 3.0 and the hub hidden below the charging deck (thread wire up thru existing whole) - and the same USB SDHC card and reader on the hub and no issues on the S. I even swapped the whole setup to make sure it wasn't defective.

Dashcam uses up a lot, I usually get 50 minutes of recording, you can buy a 2 Y splitter on Amazon to connect the wireless charger and the data line for the memory sticks.
That's a good idea, but does it work splitting the dashcam USB port? It'd be the perfect solution: connect both the 128Gb Tesla USB stick, and my music 8Gb USB stick with a 'Y' adapter on the same (and only) USB-A port, inside the glove box. The other 4 ports on the car are USB-C, and only the 2 inside the front storage cubby can be used for data (the rear ones are charge only). And unfortunately, the 2 front USB-C ports are right on the way of getting things inside. Couple that to USB-C sticks only being long, and one of us would eventually damage the port on the car, most likely.

This is the one I use and it seems to work well
Thank you, but that's hard to follow. May I ask if the Tesla drive is either 'IDE' or 'SATA', to know if I can use it? I saved some other similar instructions to partition a USB, using a different format utility... but not sure they work on 2021s anymore. Thx.

Dashcam uses up a lot, I usually get 50 minutes of recording, you can buy a 2 Y splitter on Amazon to connect the wireless charger and the data line for the memory sticks.
That's a good idea, but does it work splitting the dashcam USB port? It'd be the perfect solution: connect both the 128Gb Tesla USB stick, and my music 8Gb USB stick on the same USB port inside the glove box. The other 4 ports on the car are USB-C, and only the 2 inside the front storage cubby can be used for data (the rear ones are charge only). And unfortunately, the 2 front USB-C ports are right on the way of getting things inside. Couple that to USB-C sticks only being long, and one of us would eventually damage the port on the car, most likely.

This is the one I use and it seems to work well
Thank you, but that's hard to follow. May I ask if the Tesla drive is either 'IDE' or 'SATA', to know if I can use it? I saved some other similar instructions to partition a USB, using a different format utility. Thx.

That's a good idea, but does it work splitting the dashcam USB port? It'd be the perfect solution: connect both the 128Gb Tesla USB stick, and my music 8Gb USB stick on the same USB port inside the glove box. The other 4 ports on the car are USB-C, and only the 2 inside the front storage cubby can be used for data (the rear ones are charge only). And unfortunately, the 2 front USB-C ports are right on the way of getting things inside. Couple that to USB-C sticks only being long, and one of us would eventually damage the port on the car, most likely.

you don’t need a Y adaptor. Just set up a partition on your hard drive. It essentially turns your memory stick into two. Just google “partition external harddrive” for a ton of videos and how to

Problem is you can only format 32Gb for the camera if you partition the Tesla USB stick. And if a 'Y' adapter works, I prefer to just buy one, rather than messing with partitioning a stick :). So does anybody know if it's work???

Problem is you can only format 32Gb for the camera if you partition the Tesla USB stick. And if a 'Y' adapter works, I prefer to just buy one, rather than messing with partitioning a stick :). So does anybody know if it's work???
I doubt a Y-adapter would work for data (might work for power though). I'm pretty sure you would need a hub for data.

you don’t need a Y adaptor. Just set up a partition on your hard drive. It essentially turns your memory stick into two. Just google “partition external harddrive” for a ton of videos and how to
Sounds simple but it’s not, had lots of trouble formatting and partitioning, so the Y splitter works well for me and I don’t have to worry about running out of memory.

Fred