Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash cam still not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The drive may be going bad. It doesn't seem as if many options can handle the stress that it gets.
More likely buggy software on Tesla's side than actual drive problems. The amount of data being recorded is not much. There's another forum member who laid out all the data and compared it to what normal USB drives can handle and it's clear the drives should be nowhere near being worn out prematurely due to excess data writing.

Dashcam question (2023 Model 3) - My wife was hit (someone changed lanes right into her). She did not hit the save dashcam button but the dashcam is set on auto. The car is brand new so still learning...the dashcam did not save any footage from what I can tell. I thought auto was supposed to save if an accident is detected. Does that mean the dashcam did not function properly? User error?

If there was NO footage on the USB then it means dashcam was not recording at all (which could be user error- not formatted properly for example-- best to check if the red light is on at the start of every drive to be sure)

If there just wasn't any saved of the crash (ie the normal 1 hour buffer footage is there, just nothing in the saved folder from crash time) it could be it wasn't a bad enough crash to be detected by the car as a crash.

Reactions: adayley
Dashcam question (2023 Model 3) - My wife was hit (someone changed lanes right into her). She did not hit the save dashcam button but the dashcam is set on auto. The car is brand new so still learning...the dashcam did not save any footage from what I can tell. I thought auto was supposed to save if an accident is detected. Does that mean the dashcam did not function properly? User error?
(Would be better for you to have posted this as a new thread. That would keep this thread topic clear AND give more visibility to your question. But, I'll go along.)

With Sentry Mode (I think) or Tesla Cam enabled, the car is constantly recording and saving the last one hour of video from the four cameras. The flash drive always has the last one hour of video. As it records the “61st” new minute of video, it erases the 1st minute. It is a rolling one hour of video.

When you press the dash cam button or honk your horn (if enabled) or an physical event triggers, the computer copies 10 minutes worth of video to a different folder that does not get erased automatically. When view video in the car, ONLY the 10 minute copied segments are shown. You cannot see the full rolling one hour of video on the car's screen.

If you did not press the dash cam button nor honk your horn nor did the incident trigger the copying to save the video, the incident is still on the flash drive in the rolling one hour of recorded video. IF the incident happened less than an hour ago, you need to pull the drive so you don’t lose the video, take it to a computer and look for the one minute video segments that have the incident in the video. Sorry, I don’t remember the names of the folders but it should be obvious and you can just look in all of them for the right date and time on the video files.

We did this when my wife had a bump with someone in a parking lot. She didn’t know to save the video and it didn’t automatically save. I had her pull the flash drive and come home so the incident would not be over written. We found the needed segment and sent that to insurance.

Reactions: Joesmoe3
anyone found any good solutions to fix this dash cam "X" problem. I tried re-booting monitor, pulled out the driver (OEM Tesla USB drive), put back the drive, it will work for a while, then get the "X" again, or it will work for my entire drive, once I go "P", and go back "D", here comes the "X" again. this is annoying. I don't believe this is my USB problem (since it is a fairly new Tesla OEM unit), it is either the software, or the USB port problem, and too bad my car is out of warranty. any comments can help me ?

Guess I've been lucky so far. I had a few instances when I first got the car over 5 years ago, but they were resolved back then. I don't even think about my dash cam or thumb drive for years at a time, unless I'm purposely trying to save or pull something up. It "just works."

Reply here since the site wont let me make a new post. I just installed a brand new Samsung T7 SSD per recommendations from this forum. Format worked, but still no dash cam. (did this while super charging and posting this from the supercharger).
BTW My problem was solved by manually creating the folders on the drive. Which I had to do by copying my bosses drive. I could find no reference online that correctly described the correct folder names and locations.

How does one know if one has dash cam ? The option is grayed out on my screen. Can it be added ?

Also, the manual talks about a USB port in the glove box (or did i get than wrong ?) and in any case, I don’t see it, can’t find it.

2020 Model 3 AWD LR

in order to get rid of the red X, I had to keep pulling out the USB drive and putting back, like other mentioned. the USB is very hot, however, even pulling out, putting back may work for a while, then comes the stupid X again, also keep doing this I'm afraid may permanently damage the USB port. currently my USB ports are used for charging rather than dash cam. anyone had this problem and had it fixed ? anyone knows cost to have Tesla service center fix (car out of warranty) ?