Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

dash cam turning on by itself at 6am every day?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here is an odd one, my dash cam seems to be turning on every day at 6am, records until about 6:58am when it fills up my 8GB flash drive, then stops. So when I go to work in the morning, I see the X next to the dash cam icon, and have to pull the drive out and delete all the stuff in RecentClips to free up the space.

Aside from the fact that I should buy a larger drive (already on the way), why would the car be turning on the dash cam consistently at 6am every day? Shouldn't it only record when car is turned on? Or is there some automatic wake up sequence at 6am that I am not aware of?

RecentClips folder is the 60 min buffer that auto delete older files. It should stay at or under 60 x 90MB = 5400MB at any time. I don't see why files in there would fill up your 8GB drive even if you don't know the reason behind the 6am recording. You don't have any problem driving the car for more than 1 hour and the RecentClips folder filled up the drive right?

Maybe you left some SavedClips folders in your drive? Those you need to delete immediately if you only have a 8GB drive. A drive that labelled 8GB could have less and 7GB in size for storage. So 7 - 5.4, you could only save 1 event in the SavedClip folder... a 2nd event folder will fill up your drive.

So here is an odd one, my dash cam seems to be turning on every day at 6am, records until about 6:58am when it fills up my 8GB flash drive, then stops. So when I go to work in the morning, I see the X next to the dash cam icon, and have to pull the drive out and delete all the stuff in RecentClips to free up the space.

Aside from the fact that I should buy a larger drive (already on the way), why would the car be turning on the dash cam consistently at 6am every day? Shouldn't it only record when car is turned on? Or is there some automatic wake up sequence at 6am that I am not aware of?

There's more to this ... do tell ;)

RecentClips folder is the 60 min buffer that auto delete older files. It should stay at or under 60 x 90MB = 5400MB at any time. I don't see why files in there would fill up your 8GB drive even if you don't know the reason behind the 6am recording. You don't have any problem driving the car for more than 1 hour and the RecentClips folder filled up the drive right?

Maybe you left some SavedClips folders in your drive? Those you need to delete immediately if you only have a 8GB drive. A drive that labelled 8GB could have less and 7GB in size for storage. So 7 - 5.4, you could only save 1 event in the SavedClip folder... a 2nd event folder will fill up your drive.
That is a good point and I cannot explain it. I do not have any savedclips, I only have recentclips. And indeed I know that 1 hour should only be about 5.4GB. Yet somehow recentclips has almost 8GB. There are 3 files generated every 1 minute based on the timestamps. Maybe they increased the bitrate recorded recently?

That is a good point and I cannot explain it. I do not have any savedclips, I only have recentclips. And indeed I know that 1 hour should only be about 5.4GB. Yet somehow recentclips has almost 8GB. There are 3 files generated every 1 minute based on the timestamps. Maybe they increased the bitrate recorded recently?

That's odd. I just got 8.5 last night. When I had 5.15, I looked that RecentClips folder and it was exactly 180 files in there and all of them were under 30MB... some of them were really small. Maybe something got corrupted inside the folder. Maybe you should remove all the files and folder and just leave TeslaCam in there emtpy so the car could start flesh. I would also do a reboot on the car before plugging it back in just to have a clean start.

Paranormal Activity ? Seriously though, when I first had Sentry Mode activated in the garage, I had a lot of recorded clips with no movement....just clips of the garage fridge, Volt passenger door and NSX drivers door. Seems better now with the latest update though.

That's odd. I just got 8.5 last night. When I had 5.15, I looked that RecentClips folder and it was exactly 180 files in there and all of them were under 30MB... some of them were really small. Maybe something got corrupted inside the folder. Maybe you should remove all the files and folder and just leave TeslaCam in there emtpy so the car could start flesh. I would also do a reboot on the car before plugging it back in just to have a clean start.

so here's some interesting data.

my front and left files always seems to be around 30MB each, but my right is more than twice that at about 80MB. that is why it is filling it up. example below:
2019-04-05_23-49-front.mp4 - 28.3MB
2019-04-05_23-49-left_repeater.mp4 - 37.7MB
2019-04-05_23-49-right_repeater.mp4 - 78.0MB

I dug deeper and it seems like front and left files bitrate is around 4-5Mbps, but right is more than double at 11Mbps. So it was indeed a bitrate issue as I suspected! But not sure how this is possible unless recent software has a bug?

so here's some interesting data.

my front and left files always seems to be around 30MB each, but my right is more than twice that at about 80MB. that is why it is filling it up. example below:
2019-04-05_23-49-front.mp4 - 28.3MB
2019-04-05_23-49-left_repeater.mp4 - 37.7MB
2019-04-05_23-49-right_repeater.mp4 - 78.0MB

I dug deeper and it seems like front and left files bitrate is around 4-5Mbps, but right is more than double at 11Mbps. So it was indeed a bitrate issue as I suspected! But not sure how this is possible unless recent software has a bug?

Yeah that's gotta be a bug... left/right cameras should be the same