Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Display reboots while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else had dash display reboots while driving on newer Model S's?

I did our first long drive in our 2020 MSP on Monday (500+ miles). During the drive, the dash display rebooted 4-5 times while driving. First time freaked me out pretty good. After the trip, I did some research and it seems to happen to other people also but is this a pretty common thing? I was running navigation, XM radio, and running a better route planner on my web browser. When I got here I shut the power down on the car and also did the 2-scroll wheel MCU reboot to clear up any memory leaks. We'll see how the drive back on Saturday goes.

Thanks for your input.

-craigger.

What version of the firmware are you running,?. I saw this behavior twice during my last drive trying to use ABRP and navigation. the navigation crashed and booted the center screen. I was on 2020.20.1; when this happened.

I'm on the latest - 2020.24.6.4. I'll reply back to this thread when I do the long drive back on Saturday to see if it happens after the car/MCU reset.

-craigger.

Has anyone else had dash display reboots while driving on newer Model S's?

I did our first long drive in our 2020 MSP on Monday (500+ miles). During the drive, the dash display rebooted 4-5 times while driving. First time freaked me out pretty good. After the trip, I did some research and it seems to happen to other people also but is this a pretty common thing? I was running navigation, XM radio, and running a better route planner on my web browser. When I got here I shut the power down on the car and also did the 2-scroll wheel MCU reboot to clear up any memory leaks. We'll see how the drive back on Saturday goes.

Thanks for your input.

-craigger.

OK - I had scheduled mobile service for this and after some back and forth, they replied with this:

"Thank you for the information. Reviewed data for timestamp provided and found this to be known issue which is currently under investigation by our engineering department. This will be addressed in a future firmware. Unfortunately at this time there is no release date for said firmware. I have documented all my findings in our internal servers and attached it to your vehicle for future use. I would recommend if/when this occurs in the future to document the timestamp manually. Or, you can also use voice commands to report the concern. Say "Note", "Report", "Bug note", or "Bug report" (in the English language) followed by brief comments in your language of choice. Model S takes a snapshot of its systems, including your current location, vehicle diagnostic data, and screen captures of the touchscreen and instrument panel. At this time there no repairs are required. Thank you for your time."

I guess I'll have to wait for a future FW update to fix.

-craigger.

I had this problem too, over the course of a 4 hour drive it was happening very frequently, and also a few other times just driving around town. I noted that I was using the browser at the time, while listening to music or a podcast and probably running navigation. It seems that the car can be overwhelmed when asked to process a lot of data. I found something online that said it might be a memory issue and recommended clearing out my previous destination data on navigation, remove thumb drives, and other places where I could delete data to reduce the amount of memory that might be clogging up somewhere and thus leading to these quick reboots. It was disturbing at first, then just a nuisance. I also did the various scroll wheel reboots, deep reboot, etc. So far so good.

I am seeing the exact same thing - I upgraded to MCU2 / AP3 a few weeks ago and have had my driver-side IC go black / reboot a number of times. It causes some beeping / alarming when I’m on autopilot when it happens, but it hasn’t forced a disengage at least.

I was also having problems with a new USB flash drive I had installed for sentry mode recording (it seems to keep failing and needing to be reformatted) - I wondered if the USB reliability issues may have been related but that’s total speculation.

At least it’s better than the total system failures I was staring at when I was on MCU1 :)

• Helpful
Reactions: pears