Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Symbol Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Neat feature. when i had my prius it had no such hold feature so if i was at a long red light i'd just press the big "P" button to park the transmission into park mode. it takes literally 3 seconds to go back into drive so it was never an issue.

I live in the Houston area which is generally flat, so I have rarely seen the 'H', but I stopped at an intersection the other day that was on a slight incline and there it was!
Hmm, no hill is required for me.

The (H) always appears whenever I come to a full stop and hold the brake pedal for a second or two. Then I can take my foot off the brake, knowing that the car will hold its position until I press the go pedal again.

Perhaps this behavior only occurs with creep off?

Do you have creep on?

Last edited:
Hmm, no hill is required for me.

The (H) always appears whenever I come to a full stop and hold the brake pedal for a second or two. Then I can take my foot off the brake, knowing that the car will hold its position until I press the go pedal again.

Perhaps this behavior only occurs with creep off?

Do you have creep on?
I tested this today on my two trips to the hardware store (repairing my sprinkler system, long story). I realized that I had not been pressing the brake hard enough the second time to get the H to appear. Now I know how it works!

I do have creep on. By the way, this is one of those things in life where the is no right or wrong, only preferences.

I do have creep on. By the way, this is one of those things in life where the is no right or wrong, only preferences.
I guess with creep off, all you have to do is come to a stop and (H) will come on. That's my experience. I don't "press hard", I just roll to a stop (sometimes very slowly after regen-ing it most of the way), lightly press the brake at the end, and (H) comes on.

It's hill start assist and is activated and deactivate by depressing the brake slightly more pressure (past the point where the vehicle has stopped).

To test this sit in your on a level spot of road (no traffic of course) and depress the peddle while watch the dash and you will see the (H) come on in. The brake is now engaged and you can leave you feet free of any peddles (note this is not the parking break DO NOT leave your vehicle)

To disengage you may either use the accelerator or simple touch the brake to release the hill start assist.

I find that when on a starting on a hill headed down my foot is on the break to control the descent, and when stopped on a hill going up I just use the accelerator. No foot shuffling.