Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Symbol Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From time to time I am seeing a symbol pop up, then goes away after the car is off and comes back on.

It is a capital letter H inside of a circle then wrapped in parenthesis. It pops up above the power level usage meter on the right hand side of the dash. I see it fairly frequently.

Anyone Know What This Is For?

Thanks,

Bill

From time to time I am seeing a symbol pop up, then goes away after the car is off and comes back on.

It is a capital letter H inside of a circle then wrapped in parenthesis. It pops up above the power level usage meter on the right hand side of the dash. I see it fairly frequently.

Anyone Know What This Is For?

Thanks,

Bill

That sounds like the Hill Hold icon

Yes, "Hold". The indicator (or the stop lights lit on the display with no brake pedal pushed) indicates that the parking brake is engaged and the car will not roll (even only on a very slight grade or with a gust of strong wind.

It engages automatically when the car stops and your foot remains on the brake for a moment. Pushing the brake pedal again (or the throttle) will release it and let the car roll.

This is a really nice feature. Sort of the opposite of the stupid "creep" setting.

Reactions: Pezpunk and JPUConn
Took this bad screenshot from a video I made recently... it looks like this:

upload_2017-3-31_13-31-18.png

<pedantic>
I believe Tesla calls it "vehicle hold", not "hill hold" (which also makes more logical sense as it holds the vehicle in place; the hill isn't going anywhere anyway).
</pedantic>

FWIW, if you have creep mode disabled, hold gets activated with relatively little force on the brake pedal after the car comes to a stop. Hold requires a bit more pressure on the brake pedal to engage if you have creep mode on.

Last edited:
When Hill Hold is on, the car will not move when you release the brake unless you either:
A. Press the accelerator
B. Press and let go the brake (again)

Not sure whether it senses any hills, but you can engage Hill Hold any time the cart is stopped by pressing the brake pedal harder.

Yes, "Hold". The indicator (or the stop lights lit on the display with no brake pedal pushed) indicates that the parking brake is engaged and the car will not roll (even only on a very slight grade or with a gust of strong wind.

It engages automatically when the car stops and your foot remains on the brake for a moment. Pushing the brake pedal again (or the throttle) will release it and let the car roll.

This is a really nice feature. Sort of the opposite of the stupid "creep" setting.
I always assumed the hold was using the regular brakes.
Is it actually using the parking brake?

I also love vehicle hold. It eliminates the necessity for holding your foot on the brake while waiting for a light to change. BUT, when I drive my Prius and come to a stop at a light, I tap the brake and move my foot back to the accelerator pedal. The Prius immediately creeps toward the car a few feet away and reminds me I am not in my Tesla. Same problem occurs when I expect my Prius to brake upon release of the accelerator pedal. Without regenerative braking, I am reminded again that I am driving my Prius. Love regenerative braking also. Usually, I touch the brake only to engage the vehicle hold.

I think the vehicle hold senses the angle of your car. If you stop on a hill facing upward I find the (H) always presents itself after being stopped for a few seconds.

If you stop on level ground you have to push the brake pedal hard to engage it.

FYI my '51 Studebaker has "hill holder" functionality too! Albeit it's a primitive electro-mechanical setup that works off the transmission. Studebaker actually invented it.

I think the vehicle hold senses the angle of your car. If you stop on a hill facing upward I find the (H) always presents.

If you stop on level ground you have to push the brake pedal hard to engage it.

FYI my '51 Studebaker has "hill holder" functionality too! Albeit it's a primitive electro-mechanical setup that works off the transmission. Studebaker actually invented it.
I live in the Houston area which is generally flat, so I have rarely seen the 'H', but I stopped at an intersection the other day that was on a slight incline and there it was!

This reminds me of taking the driving test in the UK (Aberdeen) 25 years ago. Part of the test was to stop on a hill, and there were many steep ones in my area, engage the hand brake, and then show that you could start moving forward without rolling backwards. It requires good coordination between the accelerator, the clutch, and the hand brake. If you roll backwards at all, you fail the test. Other requirements were to execute a three point turn, parallel park, both without touching the curb, and back around a corner while staying within 18" of the curb (I don't know why this was required because I never did this in real life). When I was there, the failure rate on the driving test was over 50%. My how time flies!

Reactions: benjiejr
I live in the Houston area which is generally flat, so I have rarely seen the 'H', but I stopped at an intersection the other day that was on a slight incline and there it was!

This reminds me of taking the driving test in the UK (Aberdeen) 25 years ago. Part of the test was to stop on a hill, and there were many steep ones in my area, engage the hand brake, and then show that you could start moving forward without rolling backwards. It requires good coordination between the accelerator, the clutch, and the hand brake. If you roll backwards at all, you fail the test. Other requirements were to execute a three point turn, parallel park, both without touching the curb, and back around a corner while staying within 18" of the curb (I don't know why this was required because I never did this in real life). When I was there, the failure rate on the driving test was over 50%. My how time flies!
If we had that test around our area the failure rate would be much higher! Heck, I'm not sure I could pass! lol

Two advantages to having hold activated.
1. When you were stopped at a light or stop sign, it keeps your brake lights on.
2. It keeps the car with the brakes on, in case you get rear ended. Preventing you from getting pushed to the car in front of you or into the intersection.

This reminds me... I learned to drive from my dad. His requirement on hill stop-starts was to avoid rolling without using the hand brake. I had to learn to gauge just how much to release the clutch pedal with the left foot (this was on a manual transmission) to avoid rolling back while I moved my right foot from the brake to the accelerator. Having to rely on the hand brake on anything but an extreme slope would draw a joke at my expense :).

Last edited:
!

On mine, it's always active, even on level ground. Just hold your foot on the brake for a second or so. Push the brake again, and it releases.

On actual hills, there's a message to push the brake pedal again to release. If you push the throttle, it releases anyway (but may stress the brake calipers?).

One downside to the hold feature is that if you get used to it, go to another car that doesn't have it, forget that it doesn't, and :eek:

On mine, it's always active, even on level ground. Just hold your foot on the brake for a second or so. Push the brake again, and it releases.

On actual hills, there's a message to push the brake pedal again to release. If you push the throttle, it releases anyway (but may stress the brake calipers?).

One downside to the hold feature is that if you get used to it, go to another car that doesn't have it, forget that it doesn't, and :eek:

Assume you have creep off? I find with creep off the vehicle hold engages far easier.