Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam Aftermarket vs. built In

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a good question. I bought a 2 camera 4K dashcam with battery backup but haven't got around to installing it yet. I also wonder if it's worth the effort.

A couple big advantages of aftermarket is higher resolution and the ability to capture someone bumping your car while you are parked. I'm not sure if sentry mode will capture that.

I am planning to have an aftermarket Dashcam because it allows me to Stream and Save video via WiFi direct to my mobile (you have to unplug the USB Storage device from the Tesla to view the Tesla footage).

The installer recommended the ThinkWare Dashcam, and said he would connect it to the 12v socket in the rear boot area.

I will post when it’s done

..is there a point to investing in an aftermarket dash cam

Tesla system doesn't record sound. I still want audio recording too. You can decipher all the chimes, bells... and figure out whether your various functions such as autopilot, AEB.. were activated or not...

I still want rearview recording too. Tesla system only records front, left rear and right rear but not directly rearview in your own lane.

Its front view seems to be much more narrow and not on a wide angle.

Thus, Tesla system is a nice supplement but not a substitute for a front/rear third-party dash cam.

It's just like Autopilot/FSD is a good supplement to human but it's not time to let your car driving on its own without human yet.