Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch - OEM vs Aftermarket pros/cons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla decided to switch the tow hitch harness connector to a new molex type. From my research and talking with Molex rep, Molex has not released the male mating connector for this new connector yet. Until that happens, tesla wont be able to make the tow harness. What a fail.
Thanks. So if you just want the tow hook and plan to do wiring later, the current models of tow hooks should still work with hw 4 model Ys? Can you install the wiring later without completely removing the bumper?

I went with the OEM Tow package and was installed by Tesla before delivery. I cannot install tow hitch my self and rather not dare to do it, just by watching videos of people who DIY it since its extensive removal and reinstall of many parts.

I researched this before and usually would go to U-Haul for Hitch installations, as I have had them install some of my hitches from my other cars before, but the quote I received is around $800ish so the difference is not as much considering the lack of Tow mode software.

besides the safety while going the OEM route, I figured its also better for resale value later down the line if it comes from the factory....

I'm a little late to this thread but let me say.... the after market hitches are prone to rust when the powder coat peels off. I got one for my M3 and it was rusting before I even got it on the car. So I painted it before installation. My MY factor hitch is looking great.

Reactions: TomB985
My 2023 HW3 car was totaled out in an accident a couple weeks ago. I ordered a 2024 inventory car (presumably HW4) without the hitch because that gave the best overall discount even including retrofit cost. I'm supposed to pick it up Friday, and now I'm debating whether to go with the factory hitch again or go aftermarket for the cost savings.

I'm quite capable of installing the hitch so that's not a concern. I'm just wondering if it's really worth the extra several hundred for trailer mode. I don't care about autosteer (since I only use that on long trips), my trailers all have 4-flat connectors, and I won't have USS to set off alarms all the time. The main advantage seems to be that the range prediction automatically and instantly adjusts for the presence/absence of the trailer rather than having to take a while to adjust.

I also have some concerns that aftermarket wiring may not be "caught up" to changes made to HW4/2024 vehicles, and I'd like to know how they get power for the lights. I guess there are videos but I'd like to see printed instructions, I can read a lot faster than I can watch...

Aftermarket gets me a hitch faster and cheaper without having to wait for (and through) a service appointment. But it's not full factory capability...

Anyway, thoughts from the collective?

My 2023 HW3 car was totaled out in an accident a couple weeks ago. I ordered a 2024 inventory car (presumably HW4) without the hitch because that gave the best overall discount even including retrofit cost. I'm supposed to pick it up Friday, and now I'm debating whether to go with the factory hitch again or go aftermarket for the cost savings.

I'm quite capable of installing the hitch so that's not a concern. I'm just wondering if it's really worth the extra several hundred for trailer mode. I don't care about autosteer (since I only use that on long trips), my trailers all have 4-flat connectors, and I won't have USS to set off alarms all the time. The main advantage seems to be that the range prediction automatically and instantly adjusts for the presence/absence of the trailer rather than having to take a while to adjust.

I also have some concerns that aftermarket wiring may not be "caught up" to changes made to HW4/2024 vehicles, and I'd like to know how they get power for the lights. I guess there are videos but I'd like to see printed instructions, I can read a lot faster than I can watch...

Aftermarket gets me a hitch faster and cheaper without having to wait for (and through) a service appointment. But it's not full factory capability...

I added brakes to my utility trailer. I had my trailer shop swap the axles to one with brakes, and add a breakaway kit. My trailer is a 3k Aluminum 6x12 with wood deck with a reinforced AL ramp. I got a brake controller and picked up the harness from Tesla to wire it in. Telsa recommends trailer brakes with loads over 1k lbs. So, if you pull a trailer, and it isn't AL, 1k lbs is very easy to hit, when most 4x8 trailers are 700 lbs.

My trailer weights around 700lbs (being 6x12 that is awesome) and my motorcycle is also another 700 lbs. So, my towing weight is upwards of 1,400 lbs.

For the flexibility of being able to use electric brakes on a trailer and complying with the manufacture's recommendations on brakes for 1k lbs+, I suggest going OEM...

I put an after market on my m3, and had to spend time loving on it with a rattle can. I think I got it from e-trailer... it fit well, but it's chinese garbage. Powder coat coming off, I fear looking at it now after 3 years. I'd go with the factory because it'll be MUCH higher quality. Prob not the answer you wanted but buy once, cry once.....

...whether to go with the factory hitch again or go aftermarket for the cost savings.

I'm quite capable of installing the hitch so that's not a concern. I'm just wondering if it's really worth the extra several hundred for trailer mode.
I went a similar way: I bought factory components (a used hitch, used harness and new trailer module) and installed them myself. The trailer module was fully functional right after I plugged it in and it showed a yellow trailer icon when the trailer was plugged in and trailer lights worked right away, but there was no trailer mode slider and there was gateway configuration error in diagnostic mode menu. I then bought a diagnostic cable, subscribed for one hour of Tesla Toolbox (45 eur incl. tax) and activated trailer mode myself.

It's not a Y, it's a Model 3 Performance which shouldn't have been able to have tow hitch at all. So it is possible to do it in the comfort of your home, without paying Tesla prices to install it.

This setup is now in no way different than any other Model 3 or Model Y factory tow package.

Not sure about HW3 and HW4 though..

Attachments

• 429467320_418907350668571_7554993063623943472_n.jpg
    429467320_418907350668571_7554993063623943472_n.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 13
  • 429457835_338628959170958_5350770162406407683_n.jpg
    429457835_338628959170958_5350770162406407683_n.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 431754999_900191022113207_3832924912035603723_n.jpg
    431754999_900191022113207_3832924912035603723_n.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 6