Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam and Sentry USB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Could you please let me know the USB i need to get for SEntry and Dashcam recording.Best to get larger GB one? Is there a USB currently in the car by default or these features only works after we insert the USB (Sentry and Dashcam)?

I have seen some people using the Sandisk iExpand ones which you can get in various sizes. It allows you to pull it out and plug it into your iPhone (should you have one) and view the footage on your phone.

It is one i'll be tending towards...unless there are better ones that people can suggest?

There is no onboard storage by default, you need to supply your own. Dashcam won't work at all without some local storage; Tesla are a bit cagey about "Cloud storage" for Sentry mode (as in it's supposed to send clips to the cloud but no-one's ever got access to them afterwards as far as I know and it all sounds a bit wish-list-feature rather than committed-and-available), I wouldn't rely on it if I was you.

Any drive bigger than about 32GB will provide adequate storage for Dashcam; Sentry mode needs as big a drive as you can afford / justify as it writes quite a bit of data.

The car will warn you if your drive is too slow. I had the pop-up last night for the first time (after happily using an old drive I've had for a while for the last year). If I recall correctly it specified "more than 4MB/Sec write speed" which is a low bar to cross these days. One thing to look out for is you want as wide an environmental range as possible as the interior of cars gets colder and warmer than you'd think.

Anyway that was enough of a prompt for me to go off and order one of these:

as a) I've seen other people recommending them and b) They were 30% off from when I last looked.....

I just ordered another https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NY23WBG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 so that I can rotate with the one that I already have. It also needs either an SD card to USB adaptor or a Micro SD card to USB adaptor. I use the supplied micro SD to SD adaptor to treat it as full size SD as its easier to handle.

I went for 128GB again which is probably overkill with V10, but it means that I can archive stuff off should I need to. Only £10 difference with 64GB version.

I keep my audio on a separate card so it is not rotated with the TeslaCam footage. This hasn't been quite so successful as I think USB audio player still needs a bit of polish and I have received a message a couple of times when it could not access the media. Unplug/replug sorted it. Different spec card to the above but I don't think its that.

I also use the excellent TeslaCam Video WebApp Player website to view the videos. Not tried it on my phone yet, but great on my Surface. Please donate to the author if you find it useful. Decent stuff like that are worth supporting to keep future updates rolling.

I keep my audio on a separate card so it is not rotated with the TeslaCam footage. This hasn't been quite so successful as I think USB audio player still needs a bit of polish and I have received a message a couple of times when it could not access the media. Unplug/replug sorted it. Different spec card to the above but I don't think its that.
I’d probably suspect the card. I’ve been using the USB music player more than anything in my car for the last six weeks. It has its quirks, but I’ve never had an error. My Samsung drive has got a mixture of MP3 and FLAC music.

Perhaps try your new dashcam drive temporarily for music and see if you still get the errors?

just reviewed footage from TeslaCam today and noticed that all my vids look like they were filmed in the 1970s with some funky cross processing going on for the colour. Is that standard? Made me go out and check if the cams were covered with some kind of film they deliver the car with, but no, nothing there.

Check out the image and tell me if you think that's a red car...

Attachments

• life on mars view.png
    life on mars view.png
    193.3 KB · Views: 97
  • Funny
Reactions: Rooster6655
just reviewed footage from TeslaCam today and noticed that all my vids look like they were filmed in the 1970s with some funky cross processing going on for the colour. Is that standard? Made me go out and check if the cams were covered with some kind of film they deliver the car with, but no, nothing there.

Check out the image and tell me if you think that's a red car...
The cameras aren’t exactly 4K ...

The front camera seems to have a problem with red things.

It’s intentional. The cameras are designed for FSD and have filters to help image processing by a computer. Have a look at traffic lights and break lights in the footage. DashCam was a user request / after thought. If you needed to and had the skills you could post-production colour correct but it isn’t worth it.

• Informative
Reactions: kuruma and Roy W.
I have just had my model 3 for 6 weeks and came across this problem with Dashcam and sentry mode.
I have found that 64gb and above is needed for my sentry mode as it soon gets full. Dashcam deletes old files so no problem.
You can therefore buy any good ( Sandisk is the one I prefer) memory stick. The problem lies in formatting it to FAT32.
The other problem is being able to view it easily ie on your mobile phone in your car where you can check and delete if needed.
There are two apps available for phones. One for android and one for I Phones.
The I Phone one requires a Wifi Enabled Memory stick and the android requires a memory stick with a dual output either micro usb for Android phones like Samsung 5-6 and 7 and a type C conector for samsung 8-9 etc.
as you can see I have done a fair bit of reasearch. I have therefore decided to offer these memory sticks for sale ( formatted ready just to plug in) and you can find them on Ebay by searching for Tesla DashCam.
This is not a business so I dont have many. I will buy more in if there is the demand.

The free (accepts donations which I have done) TeslaCam Video WebApp Player is great for viewing files from a disc. Apparently works on mobile devices too where you have access to media - I guess native on some Android devices or via USB card reader on iOS devices. Totally transformed ability to simultaneously view all angles of camera footage.

Large Fat32 (>32GB drives) easy to format on Windows machines using free guiformat (Donations appreciated) from Ridgecrop Consultants Ltd I do full format and takes approx 40 mins for a 128GB card using USB 3. It may reset to 0% a few times whilst formatting, but as long as the time continues to decrease, it will complete at 00:00. Just make sure that you format the correct card!

I have no connection with either, just passing on previously highly recommended products that I have tried and liked, albeit for only a short period of time.