Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"safely eject USB"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Transformer

Do the math. Save the world. — Mark Leon
Dec 26, 2019
Silicon Valley
There should be a "safely eject USB" feature to stop all activity to all USB partitions (sentry, music, and any future partitions).

There is a hidden long-press to stop the Dashcam. It works but it doesn't promise to pause all USB activity and it's hard to find in the Controls or the Owner's Manual.

This comes up more often now when testing different lock chimes for volume level.

Reactions: KevinT3141
Upvote 0
Dashcam is the only one where you should stop recording first else possibly end up with corrupted files that were in mid-write.

Other uses of the USB (eg music) are basically read only and there’s no risk of corrupting the files by removing the drive.

• Helpful
Reactions: MitchMitch
Just for reference, Microsoft removed the safely eject USB functionality a few years ago.
News to me. Is there more to it than Change in default removal policy for external storage media in Windows? That MS article basically says the new default turns off write caching so (assuming all processes stop writing to the USB drive), "You can remove the device without using the Safely Remove Hardware process."

While sitting in the parked car, it's not obvious that Dashcam is still running and that (so far) no other process writes to the USB drive. The software should handle this.

News to me. Is there more to it than Change in default removal policy for external storage media in Windows? That MS article basically says the new default turns off write caching so (assuming all processes stop writing to the USB drive), "You can remove the device without using the Safely Remove Hardware process."

While sitting in the parked car, it's not obvious that Dashcam is still running and that (so far) no other process writes to the USB drive. The software should handle this.
I believe that that is correct from the Microsoft functionality.

For the car, I don't know.

But I do know that the car likes to slowly eat USB devices over time, even if never pulled out.