Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam icon not available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all-I’ve had my 3 for a couple months and have gone through several adapters, attachments, etc in the effort to get the sentry mode/dashcam recording to work. With the latest software update I’m excited to play clips right on the screen but have been unable to get anything to record. I have a 128gb Samsung micro adventure card with sandisk adapter that is formatted to FAT32. When it is plugged in I still don’t get the camera icon that should open the dashcam viewer and can’t turn on ‘record with horn’ which makes me thing the car doesn’t recognize the card. I’m using the Taptes wireless charging pad but have also tried the card plugged in directly without a splitter. Any suggestions appreciated!

Attachments

• 968476E6-5E90-419A-9A90-8F76544D76EE.jpeg
    968476E6-5E90-419A-9A90-8F76544D76EE.jpeg
    18.7 KB · Views: 162
  • 3F866CDD-B495-4AE5-A8B5-C4790C3B16EC.jpeg
    3F866CDD-B495-4AE5-A8B5-C4790C3B16EC.jpeg
    20.5 KB · Views: 128
How did you format your card? Windows by default can't format any drive to FAT32 that's over 32GB.

Did you try both USB ports? Steering wheel reboot from holding the two buttons on the steering wheel? Does other USB flash drives work? What about different microsd card adapters?

I used this link I found in another forum post to format the card and when I look at the properties on the computer is says FAT32 formatted

Ridgecrop Consultants Ltd

I’ve tried both USB ports and two different micro sd to USB adapters (I’ve purchased numerous cheap adapters, dongles, etc in my attempts to make this work)

I haven’t tried another usb drive as I was trying to avoid spending more money on the problem and the micro sd card seems fine when it’s plugged into my computer, just no video files...

Have the card and adapter worked in the past? Besides FAT32 file system, a root (top) level folder called TeslaCam is required. To confirm your card/reader is recognized and working, you can try placing an MP3 file to see if car can find and play it.

Forget about it!!! it’s not you. Dashcam & Sentry mode is Broken as if 2020.12.8 or 2020.12.5

I stop using it. I haven’t received the newest patch 2020.16.1 to see if they fixed it.

As far as not getting the icon, make sure that you are connected to the Data side and not just the power side of the hub. Also make sure that the USB cable you are using is a Data cable as well.

Fred

Last edited:
2020.12.11.1 with an SR+ here and Dash and Sentry are working fine.

I did have an issue where the icon disappeared right after the update with the new dash cam viewer. I just reformatted they card on my computer and it worked again. However, with that said, I think you can now format it on the Tesla to setup Senty/Dash Cam... but if the card isn’t showing up at all it’s possible that in car option wouldn’t show up for you...

Have the card and adapter worked in the past? Besides FAT32 file system, a root (top) level folder called TeslaCam is required. To confirm your card/reader is recognized and working, you can try placing an MP3 file to see if car can find and play it.

THAT’S IT!!!! The TeslaCam folder! Eureka!!!!! I feel stupid now, I probably could have solved this a long time ago, I’ve read so many tutorials and somehow have missed that step. On the upside I now have multiple replacement pieces if anything ever breaks Thank you so much!

Reactions: V__2
Forget about it!!! it’s not you. Dashcam & Sentry mode is Broken as if 2020.12.8 or 2020.12.5

I stop using it. I haven’t received the newest patch 2020.16.1 to see if they fixed it.

As far as not getting the icon, make sure that you are connected to the Data side and not just the power side of the hub. Also make sure that the USB cable you are using is a Data cable as well.

Fred
Got it working with the advice of V__2 above. I was lacking the ‘TeslaCam’ folder. When I added that folder to the card and plugged in the sandisk adapter the dashcam icon popped right up on the screen!

Reactions: Knightshade