Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam icon shows 'x' with or without usb flash drive inserted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I cannot get the dashcam to recognize my usb drive...
icon constantly shows 'x' like its corrupt whether usb stick is installed or not
removed usb; numerous reboots (brake and scroll wheels) nothing changes; icon still remains with 'x'

usb stick is formatted correctly fat32; w/TeslaCam as it works fine in my wife's S

previous FW 2019.12.1.1; current v 2019.16.2....both FW versions exhibited the same issue
it was working fine on 12.1.1 for awhile then the problem started

usb drive: sandisk cruzer glide 128gb formatted fat32

anyone have the same issue? Thanks in advance

I'm running into the same issue when i updated to 16.2. TeslaCam and Sentry Mode use to work previously now just have the grey x. I've reformated several times with different usb sticks, still doesn't work. I sent an email to Tesla today to see if they can fix it. Hopefully I'l hear a solution from them or someone here.

I spoke to soon.....after one day the problem has returned! Dashcam icon shows "x" once again
along with incorrect/frozen trip data.
Telsa support recommends sandisk pro extreme 3.1 usb; I'm sure many of owners are not using this
specific usb stick and not having problems. I did not start having issues until FW 2019.12.1.1 and now on 2019.16.2.

Put a message back to support; awaiting their response.

I've been having the exact same issue since updating to 2019.16.2 about a week ago. It had been working just fine on 2019.12.x. Twice I've managed to get it to work for the remainder of the day after various MCU resets and reformatting of the drive but it inevitably ends up not working come the next morning. Been trying two different USB drives as well that work perfectly otherwise. This is very frustrating.

I've been having the exact same issue since updating to 2019.16.2 about a week ago. It had been working just fine on 2019.12.x. Twice I've managed to get it to work for the remainder of the day after various MCU resets and reformatting of the drive but it inevitably ends up not working come the next morning. Been trying two different USB drives as well that work perfectly otherwise. This is very frustrating.

IMHO I don’t think it’s the drive at all
I’ve switched to different drives before I had the problem and they all worked fine I took the same drive to my wife’s model S and it
works fine
I think it’s a software issue as it also corrupts the trip information

IMHO I don’t think it’s the drive at all
I’ve switched to different drives before I had the problem and they all worked fine I took the same drive to my wife’s model S and it
works fine
I think it’s a software issue as it also corrupts the trip information

I agree completely, I was just eliminating that as a possibility. Plus it gave me multiple drives to work with before reformatting. Sadly I'm glad to see others are experiencing this same issue though, I won't bother getting it working again since clearly this is a software issue. Curious to see if @Leopold Stotch got the update and if it is working.

I agree completely, I was just eliminating that as a possibility. Plus it gave me multiple drives to work with before reformatting. Sadly I'm glad to see others are experiencing this same issue though, I won't bother getting it working again since clearly this is a software issue. Curious to see if @Leopold Stotch got the update and if it is working.

No update has come through yet sadly. The online chat support was well aware of the issue before brought it up. So it’s popular. Guessing it’s just an update away from fix, hopefully soon!

Hello guys, Tesla Model X 100D owner from Mexico here (AP 2.5 MCU1 February 2018 built. FW 2019.16.2)
This is my first post, but TMC reader for a long time.

I had the exact same issue, dashcam showed an X weather the usb stick (SandDisk128GB) was inserted or not. Tried formatting it several times but still had the same issue. Called Tesla service and they told me to reset the MCU, but nothing happened, then to made a hard reset but still getting the same result. They told me perhaps something got wrong with FW 2019.16.2 installation and they sent it again. later afternoon I received it and install it again. Problem solved I thought!! what a fool I was, a few hours later the same issue came back.
At the next day I called Tesla service again, but sadly this guy told me he had not the answer to my problem.

With nothing to lose, finally I made my last move, tried "factory reset" and... "Voila" problem solved!!!
It worked for me, this is my 5th day since then and my dashcam and sentry mode are recording again as always have done.

I hope my experience to be helpful!

• Informative
Reactions: Leopold Stotch
Hello guys, Tesla Model X 100D owner from Mexico here (AP 2.5 MCU1 February 2018 built. FW 2019.16.2)
This is my first post, but TMC reader for a long time.

I had the exact same issue, dashcam showed an X weather the usb stick (SandDisk128GB) was inserted or not. Tried formatting it several times but still had the same issue. Called Tesla service and they told me to reset the MCU, but nothing happened, then to made a hard reset but still getting the same result. They told me perhaps something got wrong with FW 2019.16.2 installation and they sent it again. later afternoon I received it and install it again. Problem solved I thought!! what a fool I was, a few hours later the same issue came back.
At the next day I called Tesla service again, but sadly this guy told me he had not the answer to my problem.

With nothing to lose, finally I made my last move, tried "factory reset" and... "Voila" problem solved!!!
It worked for me, this is my 5th day since then and my dashcam and sentry mode are recording again as always have done.

I hope my experience to be helpful!

Thank you . Worked for me as well. But now my maps don’t work ha ha as it says incorrect maps downloaded. And Tesla support for this is closed. Fix tomorrow hopefully!