Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam impact on battery and range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About as much as running the stereo - none.

Driving at 55 mph, your drive motor is using 15,000 watts of power. The camera may add something like 50 watts to that. It’s just noise.

Edit: using Sentry Mode is a different thing, because that keeps the computers active that would normally be off when the vehicle is parked.

• Helpful
Reactions: jbrady3324
Is sentry mode separate from the dashcam? Can I only use the dashcam so I don't have to turn the sentry mode on and off (since I park in a garage)

The short answer is "yes, sentry is separate from dash cam".

For more detail on how these work, there is a sticky thread where one of our members typed up an explanation and I stickied it.

Reactions: brkaus

For more detail on how these work, there is a sticky thread where one of our members typed up an explanation and I stickied it.

Thanks ! I try to find discussions before I post my own but of course I picked the wrong one lol. I see there ppl are saying there USB drives are to slow so they got a USB 3.0 but my 2018 M3 is USB 2.0. I'd like to buy a USB to micro adapter so I could use the 400gb micro SD that I already have. Hopefully it won't be to slow. And I just want the dashcam not the sentry mode. Do you think the dashcam eats a ton of battery?

Wow this was really helpful cus to be honest this whole time I thought sentry mode records 😂 it's a bit confusing to me but I think I got it. My only problem is since I have a 2018 (and don't wanna use the cigarette light charger cus there's no cutout for the wire to come thru the armrest) I would need a few splitters. 2 USB ports for the wireless charger that was there when I bought it(my phone doesn't even have wireless charging but ppl in my car use it) 1 port for my phone wire, 1 port for my vape charger wire, 1 port for my USB to micro SD adapter (if I go that route). So I need to make 5 USB ports out of 2 lol.

I have a 2018 Model 3 as well ( I know you know this but mentioning it for anyone else reading along). I bought one of the aftermarket dock solutions that were available, because I also wanted more than 2 ports. I also have an aftermarket wireless charging pad ...in fact, I think enough people bought aftermarket wireless charging pads to spur Tesla to make it a standard feature in later cars.

Anyway, I also use a usb to micro SD adapter, and bought an Samsung endurance pro SD card, since it says its "extreme endurance for monitoring devices". I wanted something that was built to write and rewrite constantly. I have had the same card since early 2019 and while I format it every so often, it still works fine.

You just want to get a quality splitter. before I got the dock (which I am not going to recommend the one I got because while it works, other things from the company didnt work the way I wanted so I dont recommend them to anyone), I had US splitter devices that had MicroSD cards in them that were actually designed by a forum member. That forum members "day job" was designing USB devices, actually (lol) and they made one for this exact situation for themselves, then started selling a few of them.

I have a 2018 Model 3 as well ( I know you know this but mentioning it for anyone else reading along). I bought one of the aftermarket dock solutions that were available, because I also wanted more than 2 ports. I also have an aftermarket wireless charging pad ...in fact, I think enough people bought aftermarket wireless charging pads to spur Tesla to make it a standard feature in later cars.

Anyway, I also use a usb to micro SD adapter, and bought an Samsung endurance pro SD card, since it says its "extreme endurance for monitoring devices". I wanted something that was built to write and rewrite constantly. I have had the same card since early 2019 and while I format it every so often, it still works fine.

You just want to get a quality splitter. before I got the dock (which I am not going to recommend the one I got because while it works, other things from the company didnt work the way I wanted so I dont recommend them to anyone), I had US splitter devices that had MicroSD cards in them that were actually designed by a forum member. That forum members "day job" was designing USB devices, actually (lol) and they made one for this exact situation for themselves, then started selling a few of them.
That's so funny cause I've been looking for a USB dock like the one that can kinda look stock(the type you have i think) but the problem is they all say 21-23 sliding door model. Which has kinda been a problem for a few accessories I wanted. I know it's 5 years old but I didn't think so many companies would only cater to 3 year old and newer. So I'll probably just have to use regular splitters and because of what you said I'll get a better quality one then I was gonna get. I'll get a 3.0 that's compatible with 2.0. I have a 400gb SanDisk that I used for my old Nintendo switch hopefully it'll work lol. Does it automatically format when I plug it in? And I see ppl saying the dashcam didn't record there accident, is it always recording you just have to remember to honk the horn to save? Or does it only record when it thinks it should? (With sentry mode always off, I won't be using that) and does it use a lot of battery?

Dashcam is always recording when you drive, so no it doesnt use a bunch of battery (its a miniscule amount, hardly measurable in the scheme of the overall battery usage). You always see people talk about Sentry mode because sentry mode keeps the car awake while its parked.

Dashcam writes over itself in an hour loop. You have to do something to save it while driving (thats covered in that thread I linked I think)

Does it automatically format when I plug it in?

I dont think so, but formatting it is an option in the menu. Keep in mind that like most drive formatting options, formatting the drive will erase whatever data is on it, so only use that drive if you are going to re purpose it permanently for the car. I have 256gb samsung endurance pros (in my 2018 model 3 and my wifes 2022 model Y). They are like $20 now I think. Its more than enough storage for me since I dont copy music to the drive.

The dock I have is from Jeda. the dock works well, but the ordering experience was bad (and I am pretty forgiving of this type of thing) and the other products dont work well for me from them so I wouldnt recommend them.

I think Taptes makes one as well. Its here:

The jeda one I have is similar. This should be the link for the "pre 2020" model 3 which has 2 USB A ports. I dont have any Taptes stuff, but from what I see here they appear to be passable / decent. It looks like its out of stock though.. perhaps try emailing them or look for them on amazon or something.

EDIT... here is that same taptes dock on amazon, and it appears to be in stock as it says "ships from amazon" and shows prime shipping.

Dashcam is always recording when you drive, so no it doesnt use a bunch of battery (its a miniscule amount, hardly measurable in the scheme of the overall battery usage). You always see people talk about Sentry mode because sentry mode keeps the car awake while its parked.

Dashcam writes over itself in an hour loop. You have to do something to save it while driving (thats covered in that thread I linked I think)

I dont think so, but formatting it is an option in the menu. Keep in mind that like most drive formatting options, formatting the drive will erase whatever data is on it, so only use that drive if you are going to re purpose it permanently for the car. I have 256gb samsung endurance pros (in my 2018 model 3 and my wifes 2022 model Y). They are like $20 now I think. Its more than enough storage for me since I dont copy music to the drive.

The dock I have is from Jeda. the dock works well, but the ordering experience was bad (and I am pretty forgiving of this type of thing) and the other products dont work well for me from them so I wouldnt recommend them.

The jeda one I have is similar. This should be the link for the "pre 2020" model 3 which has 2 USB A ports. I dont have any Taptes stuff, but from what I see here they appear to be passable / decent. It looks like its out of stock though.. perhaps try emailing them or look for them on amazon or something.

EDIT... here is that same taptes dock on amazon, and it appears to be in stock as it says "ships from amazon" and shows prime shipping.

Yeah I have the taptes floor mats which say for 2018-2023 but obviously they are geared for the newer ones because they do not fit well specifically in the back. Yeah that jeda one looks nice cus if the USBc and hidden compartment for USB drive but I don't wanna spend $80 with them cuz your not the first person to say you had trouble with them. Theres whole reddit threads about how they never answer and shipping takes forever. I'll probably go with the taptes one. Thanks for the link. Here's a reddit thread of the same things your saying

On quora they say if sentry mode is disabled then dashcam doesn't record even when driving which is obviously wrong. I don't have a home charger (I have to drive to my dad's) so I really don't wanna use sentry mode cus of the battery usage but I do wanna use the dashcam thinking it only records when driving. So I just got the USBmicrosd adapter today and a USB splitter (hopefully I'll order the dock soon)just outta curiosity does it record all cameras or only front? Is there a way to see the cabin? I see so many ppl confused about dashcam/sentry stuff do they not have a good system in your opinion?

Last edited:

Idk if it's the adapter or the USB hub. But I have to unplug and plug it in Everytime I get in or it doesn't work. So annoying. Both had good reviews on Amazon so idk which ones the problem