Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam ( M3 refresh with tesla thumb drive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having had the car a few days now, I'm noticing that the dashcam icon Keeps disappearing from the screen.
Happens when I get into the car to drive I notice its not on the screen. I then take the thumb drive out plug it back in and it then works??

Anyone else having this issue?

Yes lots of posts about this on Facebook. Raised a service call and they have been looking at his remotely for me but can’t say what it is. Get it logged as the more do the better chance they will sort it.

I feel mine is linked to not using the car for a few days or after charging.

Not sure whether to try a different usb maybe the often recommended ssd. I have provided them with dates and times that I have had to remove the usb and replace but it hasn’t helped.

The last message suggested trying the usb in the other front USB port but I didn’t think the refreshed model had one unless someone can tell me differently

May not be a factor here but just as a general point. What sort of drive are you using? Thumb drive is not the ideal medium. They are not durable enough to last long and some are not fast enough either . An SSD or a Sandisk Max Endurance microSD card are probably the best options.

What sort of drive are you using? Thumb drive is not the ideal medium. They are not durable enough to last long and some are not fast enough either . An SSD or a Sandisk Max Endurance SD card are probably the best options.

Its the thumb drive that now comes with the car supplied by tesla. Surely if its supplied with the car it should work and be compatible

Not sure whether to try a different usb maybe the often recommended ssd. I have provided them with dates and times that I have had to remove the usb and replace but it hasn’t helped.

The last message suggested trying the usb in the other front USB port but I didn’t think the refreshed model had one unless someone can tell me differently
Your right the refresh model only comes with one USB A port which is in the glovebox. Not sure if getting a USB C drive would work??

Same here, it is very temperamental. It was alright today morning, just checked the icon has disappeared. Had to remove and reinsert the USB drive. This issue started after the new update.
Also it doesn’t record the entire journey. Isn’t it supposed to record the whole journey?

Using a 1TB SanDisk ssd here on my 2021. Icon remains on/red all the time as expected. However I have had it connected in centre console as I didn't have the USB c female to usb adapter for glove box fit. As of today I've moved it to glove box as the adapter arrived. I noticed a notifications today saying its not connected, but the icon was there /red. Not checked to see of its been recording to be fair.

Video Playback can be sketchy mind you. Video jumping about the timeline.

YMMV but I took the supplied Tesla USB out shortly after collection. It seemed to record sentry footage but was unable to play it back. I've since swapped it for a Sandisk 120GB USB drive and it seems faultless so far. Worth trying a different USB, even if you have a spare one lying around just to see if it makes a difference.

The (other ports) on the refresh are in the rear panel of the central console, these are USB C.

I had this issue constantly. It used to disappear and when I went to settings, it would show messages like format USB stick - suggesting the stick had an issue. I’d format it, dashcam would work for the drive, then disappear again.

Ended up buying a T5 SSD for the glove box and its been fine since

Stupid because they’re providing a USB stick for that use - seems entirely unfit for purpose