Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam memory stick keeps going bad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been having the same problem since the V.9 release. Tesla suggested a soft reboot--no luck. Then download the latest update--no luck. And this a happens with a variety of USB drives from various brands. The USB works for a few days then stops. It appears the software doesn't always shut down properly and seems to corrupt the USB drive when the car starts and stops.

When I check the USB on my home PC, there is a cache file created and Windows automatically want to scan and repair the disk. I proceed and then the disk is fine and my videos are available for review. I then reformat the drive, add the TeslaCam folder and works fine until it fails again.

I now keep a spare USB in the car and insert it when the installed USB fails and go through the trouble of routinely switching and re-formatting them. I have reported the problem but not everyone seems to have this issue.

Reactions: 1375mlm
My belief is this was fixed in 46.2. I had the problem frequently with 42.2 and earlier versions. But it has worked solidly since 46.2, 48.1 and now 48.12. I use a partitioned stick, with music on the opposite partition. It only ever broke the partition with the TeslaCam directory, music continued to play fine. Suggesting there was nothing wrong with my USB stick.

Same issue. My x has problems with a brand new high speed USB. My model 3 has no problems using a 8 year old USB. Recently updated to 48.12 so I’ll reformat the usb and see if it’s still an issue.

My cheap USB drive was getting errors just a few hours every time I reformatted it. Last week, I reset my Model X with the steering wheel buttons and then turned the car off for two minutes (I guess this results in a more significant reset of the car) and haven’t had an error after days of driving. I think this fixed this problem for me!