Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DashCam recording missing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your TeslaCam root folder that you create should have two folders in it. RecentClips (1 hour of buffered video) and SavedClips. Anything saved while driving or anything saved after being triggered while Sentry Mode is on will be in the SavedClips folder.

So couple of questions: Are you saying your event/file is not in the SavedClips folder? When you depress the camera icon to save footage, are you seeing a green download arrow? Are you aware that when you click to save, it transfers the video footage for the prior 10 minutes. So are you letting enough time pass between what you want saved so that the camera doesn't cut off the recording in the middle of the minute? I usually wait a minute or two before depressing the icon to save after seeing whatever I want captured just to play it safe. Are you stopping TeslaCam from recording before you pull out the usb drive? Press down on the camera icon and if you press more to the right side of it, you will notice the screen by the icon send out a "wave". That indicates it is shutting down. I generally give it another minute to play it safe to then pull it out to view.

If you see an incident and wait a minute or two and then Save, the video of that incident should be in the last few minutes of files in the date/time stamped folder applicable to when it happened. So start at the most recent and work your way back focusing on the camera view that you think it would best be observed in to narrow down the files you need to scan.

Last edited:
Tonight, an LA Metro bus drifted into our lane while we were stopped at a light and bumped our Model 3's driver's side mirror. I chased the bus for several blocks and talked to the driver, who didn't believe he'd hit us, and in the darkness with a flashlight, I could find no damage (I didn't realize that the mirror was the point of contact until we were pulling away from talking to the bus driver, and found the mirror swiveled forward a few inches on its mount - which certainly saved it from significant damage), and decided to let it go. Afterward, I found a tiny paint chip on the rear edge of the mirror, but it's still a minor incident.

When I saw the bus approaching in my mirrors and felt the bump, I pulled away about a foot to the right to prevent further damage (since I had no confidence that the driver realized what had happened), and reached up to manually Save the Dashcam segment. When I got home and mounted the Dashcam thumb drive, I discovered that the first 43 seconds of the minute containing the impact (which would have been perfectly framed in the left_repeater camera) had NOT been written to the media. It appears that the system only wrote the remainder of that minute after I tapped the Dashcam icon. It's a good thing that I'm not depending upon that clip for legal purposes.

This is fatal flaw of the Dashcam code.