Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam recording non-stop, even when parked for hours

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so I just took delivery of my m3p. I am loving it, but I have a problem..
I notice that the dashcam seems to just keep recording even after I have parked in my garage and left the car for a very long time. I dont have sentry enabled right now.
I can go into the recent folder and see 1 minute files up until the time I pull the usb out of the car. Why is it recording when I am parked and have been out of the car for a while? I was under the impression that dashcam records when you are in the car, and sentry records when parked (if enabled). Dashcam just stays on for me ..

thanks for your help!

Sentry never records. Ever.

All it does is, when alerted, move the last 10 minutes recorded by Dashcam into the sentry folder... (plus throw up the warnings on screen, flash the lights, etc).

Dashcam records- always- in a cycling 1 hour buffer- if the car is awake and dashcam isn't turned off by a human.

It only stops recording when the car sleeps (which it won't do if Sentry it turned on)

Sentry never records. Ever.

All it does is, when alerted, move the last 10 minutes recorded by Dashcam into the sentry folder... (plus throw up the warnings on screen, flash the lights, etc).

Dashcam records- always- in a cycling 1 hour buffer- if the car is awake and dashcam isn't turned off by a human.

It only stops recording when the car sleeps (which it won't do if Sentry it turned on)

Wow. I thought that Sentry recorded with movement near the car also. I had no idea that the car was supposed to keep recording forever.
My problem has been getting the dashcam to show up at times. I have noticed that with preheating the car off the charger, ie coming from work, when I open the door and sit down, putting the car in drive, the Sentry cam disappears and nothing shows up. When this happens I can be certain that nothing got recorded in the sentry cam folder, regardless of how many incidents the dashboard says it found.

If the dashcam is supposed to stay on forever, then I guess that may be the problem since I often turn it off (when the icon shows up).

Your explanation above could also explain why last week when the car said I had 17 events none of them showed up in the folder since I turned off the dashcam before leaving the car.

To @rtshefe Make certain that you geofenced Sentry to not turn on while you are at home. It is in the menu. Hope that helps.

Rick

Reactions: rtshefe
Yup- that's also why Sentry can turn on even if there's not even a USB recording device in the car.... it still does the flash the lights, display HAL9000 warning, etc... it just skips the "move existing last 10 minutes of dashcam video into another folder" step if triggered in that case...since it's always dashcam that does the recording.

Reactions: RickW and Tz00
Yup- that's also why Sentry can turn on even if there's not even a USB recording device in the car.... it still does the flash the lights, display HAL9000 warning, etc... it just skips the "move existing last 10 minutes of dashcam video into another folder" step if triggered in that case...since it's always dashcam that does the recording.

THANK YOU SO MUCH. You solved most of my recording problems. I have now left the camera on all of the time and I've had no problems in Sentry mode anymore. What a Revelation! I wish I had known about this before. I also noted that the battery didn't drop further than 3% over a 10 hour period in Sentry Mode.