Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam unavailable check usb drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

⚠️ Dashcam unavailable Check USB drive”​

I am getting this message in our 2020 MX LR+ also.
We just aquired the MX LR+ , so I do not know if it had this problem prior to us getting it.
I thought that the dash cam was functional, then Tesla initiated the "30 day FSD trial" and it stopped working.
Tried rebooting.
Tried letting it go to sleep.
Tried swapping the Tesla SSD drive from our 2022 MYP.
The MX LR+ is out of warranty.
I have a Mobile Tech coming out on the 3rd for our MYP.
Hopefully he can shed some light on what is going on.
The FSD trial is over on the 10th, maybe that will clear up the issue?
Mine was doing it before the trial so its not that. Sleep as people noted did help by having it precondition in the morning, but it still is randomly not working. Unfortunately no way to submit an issue to Tesla and I too am out of warranty, I do have extended warranty, but its 100 deductible and I have -10% belief they would actually find the issue.

Glad to see I’m not the only one. 2019 with the 2020 USBC/USBA hub and factory wireless charging pad installed. I have to double scroll wheel reboot to bring it back.

I disconnected the usb connection in the passenger side of the center console and reconnected it and it brought it back without a reboot so it seems to be some issue with initializing the data connection when waking from sleep sometimes.

Reactions: adayley
This USB unavailable error has happened off and on to my 2020 Model 3 and less often to my wife's 2020 Model Y. Hardware failures of some kind are possible, of course. But, every cause and subsequent fix so far has been car software updates. We are both having problems right now for the last several months.

This time around the service people are suggesting that our 500GB SSDs are too large. They worked fine for almost four years but, OK, now they are too large. Maybe FSD (supervised) needed more memory and they can't mount large drives now. (?)

I created smaller partitions, tried Tesla support suggested formats and so on. The result is they work once in a while for some of the drive. We put a 128GB USB 3.0 stick in my wife's car and it seems to work more often but still has the problem. (I need to try that stick in my car, I guess.)

While it could be our SSDs both failed in the same way at approximately the same time, I doubt it since my laptop uses them both just fine. I still think it is a problem in the boot and USB drive mounting sequence. Or something else in the car's software.

The perplexing thing is if this issue is software related than why doesn’t a large percentage of the fleet have this USB onboarding issue upon wake from sleep?!

Because there are 2 USB controllers on the MCU, one goes to the center dashboard, other is unpopulated on models that are pre glovebox USB port. The issue is with the one that goes to the center console. Cars that have glovebox USB, which if you account for production rampup over the years is most of the cars, they dont have the issue.

That being said, I have tried and saw issue with every software release between February 2024 and now. And finally it appears the issue has been fixed with 2024.14.8 update.

Reactions: RMannino
An update;
Previously I had tried swpping drives between our MYP and MXLR+, it did not work.
But I reformated the drive each time I installed it in the MXLR+.
Just tired again, but this time I did not reformat the drive when I installed it in the MXLR+, I left it formated from the MYP, seemes to be working for now, no red X.

In my case, service has determined (remotely) that it's an issue with the USB hub. So they're going to order the part and replace it for free (still within the 4 year warranty period). Will report on how that'll go.

EDIT: Exact item to be replaced USB HUB FRONT part # 1522264-00-B

Just finished my mobile service, the tech said that he gets these all the time, its never older cars with USB in arm rest/cup holder center console, and its never newer ones with USB in the glove compartment. He said its always the models (3 and Y) that have the USB under the phone charging pads. He said that he has replaced two USB hubs just today before getting to me (part number FRONT(1522264-00-B)) and he said that from what he has seen that fixes the issue.
One thing that was a bit discouraging is that I was hoping they fixed something in HW to prevent this from happening. One that was pulled out of mine was "Rev 1" it states on the sticker, but he showed me the other two from earlier today that he pulled out and they are "Rev 2". So the issue is not necessarily resolved for the future.

Ill report back if replacing the hub fixes it. (my MCU was already replaced (for another issue) and didnt fix it).

Fix was covered under warranty but before warranty was determined the cost to replace was like $250

I have a 2020 and I’ve had this problem for over a year. Maybe longer. Tesla just says it’s a software issue which I don’t believe. Why would it work sometimes then? And why wouldn’t others have the same problem? I also get IO errors in my alerts over this. They won’t replace the hub.

same issue over here since buying a used 2020 M3P…

only temporary solution I’ve had is to reset the system each time, which is annoying, but less so that pulling out the usb which is sorta buried in the console…

a bit frustrating as I’d want to always be recording, just in case..

not sure it’s related, but I also have a glovebox that no longer opens…