Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam Unavailable Check USB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if anyone else is having issues with a message being thrown stating that the Dashcam Is unavailable, check USB.
This just started happening. So I formatted the USB drive and enabled/disabled the Dashcam and the red X disappeared but came back again with the same message. Pulled the drive and viewed it on my pc and recent files have been written to it.
Anyone?

It has nothing to do with drive type, formatting, or anything else that you can change. It is a software problem caused by their attempt at optimizing memory. It will be fixed by a software update. Until then... uplug, wait a few seconds, and replug.
It will be fixed...already been a month and it's not fixed. They haven't even fixed the Viewer and it's been buggy since day one. But I forgot Tesla is too busy working on putting more games into our cars.

Upvote 0
I haven't gone through all 8 pages of this thread, but found it when I noticed my 2021 TM3 showing dashcam "unavailable" while driving. I've had the car for 9 months and ~8600 miles, still using the included Tesla USB drive. At first I figured it was just full (too new for wearout) and reformatted. Rebooted the car but it still showed "unavailable" at times.

To be at least a little objective and quantitative (albeit with a m0nsTroUs! sample size of 1) I pulled the drive and ran a bad blocks diagnostic on it. That came back with zero errors. It's worth noting that the controllers for these drives have error correction and wear-leveling built-in that's transparent to the host computer (in our case, the car's MCU). They silently bypass bad flash cells until they encounter uncorrectable errors.

I suspect for flash drive wear-out, the car wouldn't start showing "unavailable" or displaying errors until it starts seeing read/write/seek errors, or is just unable to mount the drive because the filesystem (FAT, which is 45 years old this year) is corrupt. That this is clearly not the case with my Tesla-branded USB drive, which suggests today's earlier post from @rjpjnk covers the root cause for at least some of the "unavailable" indications we're seeing.

All that said, I'm still going to grab a Samsung Pro Endurance MicroSD card and MobileMate USB adapter, and use the Tesla-branded stick where I'll actually see and enjoy it. It'll see much lighter duty shuttling screenshots between my oscilloscope and laptop.

-mtbkrdave

PS, had to make this after my previous 2019 TM3 chewed through its first USB stick... What About Bob? never gets old. ;)

View attachment 815033
Save your $$ until your car updates to 2022.16.x software. 2022.12.x has a bug which causes USB ports to stop mounting / recognizing devices until you reboot the computer and sometimes reinserting usb works but ultimately, I need to reboot after certain period.

Upvote 0
Just wondering if anyone else is having issues with a message being thrown stating that the Dashcam Is unavailable, check USB.
This just started happening. So I formatted the USB drive and enabled/disabled the Dashcam and the red X disappeared but came back again with the same message. Pulled the drive and viewed it on my pc and recent files have been written to it.
Anyone?
Yes. Tried many formatting several times. Nothing seems to work

Upvote 0
Anyone?
Yeah. Same here. Formatted a few times. Nothing seems to work

Upvote 0
same issue for me on my M3. Only started happening in the last month. It is very sporadic in its failure. Sometimes I can start and it's not there then other times it works. I tried taking out the usb and deleting all the files on there on my pc and reinserting. Worked for a day before getting the same failure message. It is the Tesla issued USB.

Upvote 0