Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam Unavailable Check USB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if anyone else is having issues with a message being thrown stating that the Dashcam Is unavailable, check USB.
This just started happening. So I formatted the USB drive and enabled/disabled the Dashcam and the red X disappeared but came back again with the same message. Pulled the drive and viewed it on my pc and recent files have been written to it.
Anyone?

I've been struggling with this problem for the past 6 weeks or so. I was the victim of a hit and run and sadly, the TeslaCam didn't record anything.

After lots of experimentation, I think the problem is caused by the built-in Tesla Format function. I reformatted my USB drive as FAT32 using my Win10 PC and the 3rd party guiformat.exe tool. So far, so good. It's been working for 5 days now, by far the longest stretch I've seen in quite a while. Maybe this might have solved it.

Reactions: BitJam
Upvote 0
After lots of experimentation, I think the problem is caused by the built-in Tesla Format function. I reformatted my USB drive as FAT32 using my Win10 PC and the 3rd party guiformat.exe tool. So far, so good. It's been working for 5 days now, by far the longest stretch I've seen in quite a while. Maybe this might have solved it.
That's very interesting! It might explain why some people still have a problem with 2022.16.1.x while it fixed it for others. I've been formatting my music usb sticks with exFAT and they work fine with the newer 16.1.x firmware. I've been using msdos partitioning. I'm going to try gpt partitioning to see if that works too.

Here is how Elon described the problem:

Problem arose from optimizing application performance. Use of Linux page cache caused increasing memory fragmentation, eventually preventing mounting of dashcam. Patch to filesystem driver fixes this. Update coming soon.

I doubt that the file system type or the partitioning will have affect the problem since the root cause was memory fragmentation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas7
Upvote 0
Many people are still having this issue with 2022.1.2, so it hasn't fixed anything. I don't have this update because I'm on the FSD beta with 2022.12.3.20. Some days I don't have the issue and others I do. It's to the point of being ridiculous and really sad that Tesla still hasn't fixed it and this is the downside to a software based vehicle.

Upvote 0
Many people are still having this issue with 2022.1.2, so it hasn't fixed anything.
2022.16.1.x has fixed the problem for a lot of people including me. Saying it didn't fix anything is factually incorrect. It's curious it didn't fix the problem for everyone. Perhaps we can help figure out what's going on by posting information about our cars and whether the 2022.16.1.x fix worked or not.

It seems to have totally solved the usb mounting issues in my 2021 LR Model Y. It works with msdos and gpt partitioning and fat32 as well as exfat file systems. The console usb ports are fully functional in my car so I use those for music and light shows with an SUMK 4-port hub. I use the glove box port solely for the TeslaCam. All the usb devices I use in my Tesla have a single partition.

Upvote 0
Why should we have to figure it out?! Tesla caused the problem and they should be the one figuring it out, after all they supposedly have all these talented people working for them. SMH
Figure it out? I did not mention having us figure it out. I suggested that we help Tesla figure it out by providing information about, primarily, what systems are still having symptoms and what makes them different from the systems where the symptoms have gone away.

There is obviously not just one problem. The problem you seem to be so angry about has already been fixed. Previously, usb devices would not mount reliably on almost any car. Now they mount reliably on many cars. Since some people still have problems with usb devices not mounting, there must be another problem.

If you would rather moan and complain with outright lies instead of help fix the problem, that is your choice.

I've done high level free and open source software development for many years, working with a group of other very talented and motivated programmers. One of our most valuable resources is a user-base that reports problems when they encounter them. Turns out that no matter how smart, dedicated, and experienced an engineer is, there will be circumstances they did not anticipate that only show up on certain hardware configurations.

It's strange that someone here is happy to complain but is outraged over being asked to lift a finger to help solve the problem. IMNSHO if you're not willing to even issue a bug report then you have no right to complain. At the very least you should stop lying and stop grossly twisting my words away from their clear meaning.

If you've tried 2022.16.1.x and it didn't fix the problem on your car then I'm sorry and I sympathize but that does not give you the right to lie and twist words.

Upvote 0
Figure it out? I did not mention having us figure it out. I suggested that we help Tesla figure it out by providing information about, primarily, what systems are still having symptoms and what makes them different from the systems where the symptoms have gone away.

There is obviously not just one problem. The problem you seem to be so angry about has already been fixed. Previously, usb devices would not mount reliably on almost any car. Now they mount reliably on many cars. Since some people still have problems with usb devices not mounting, there must be another problem.

If you would rather moan and complain with outright lies instead of help fix the problem, that is your choice.

I've done high level free and open source software development for many years, working with a group of other very talented and motivated programmers. One of our most valuable resources is a user-base that reports problems when they encounter them. Turns out that no matter how smart, dedicated, and experienced an engineer is, there will be circumstances they did not anticipate that only show up on certain hardware configurations.

It's strange that someone here is happy to complain but is outraged over being asked to lift a finger to help solve the problem. IMNSHO if you're not willing to even issue a bug report then you have no right to complain. At the very least you should stop lying and stop grossly twisting my words away from their clear meaning.

If you've tried 2022.16.1.x and it didn't fix the problem on your car then I'm sorry and I sympathize but that does not give you the right to lie and twist words.
I send Tesla bug reports all the time but doing it via the car doesn't give you much time to say what the issue is. I don't have 2022.16.1.x, because I have the FSD beta firmware 2022.12.3.20 and Tesla isn't quick to give us updates, but they should because this issue effects my dashcam evidence if someone hits me and my Sentry Mode evidence should someone break in or key my car. This should have been a priority to fix instead of adding more games in my car! I like Tesla but I'm not a fan boy and when they screw up I'll say something about it. Just like how now my Tesla insurance got more expensive because, according to them, everyone got the group employee discount by mistake so now they are adjusting it. And that's screwed up and they had to of known this from the start so I believe this was a bait and switch tactic. I could have stayed with my previous auto insurance because it had a bundled discount with my home. Now I have to call them and see if they will be lower than Tesla because before they were only a little more than Tesla insurance but now with the increase from Tesla I'm sure I get set it lower elsewhere.

Upvote 0
I got it fixed. software wasn't the issue for me. I am on 2022.16.1.2. I had this problem since 2-3 patches ago.

what I did was i had to manually create the folder 'TeslaCam' from my PC. I tested on BOTH Samsung ssd I have and the Tesla USB that comes with it when you get the car.

It's been 3 days and no hiccup or anything.

Upvote 0