Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Dashcam: USB drive is not readable" issue with 2019.28.3.1 firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else get the "Dashcam: USB drive is not readable" issue ?

I'm using the Samsung 500G SSD drive and ensured it was formatted with FAT32 properly. It was working fine before I upgraded to 2019.28.3.1 ...
It will work for a while after rebooting the Car but corrupted again randomly ?

Attachments

• IMG_8005.jpeg
    IMG_8005.jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 121
I'm seeing 1KB files more frequently. Sometimes entire folders of them on all three cameras; some files without any corruption. Worse than 24.x.x.

Hopefully the newest minor update improves/fixes this.

It's actually been working perfectly for me. When 2019.24.x rolled out, Tesla even fixed the garbled video problem. I also noticed that after 2019.24.x sentry mode burns more juice than before which I assume is related to the fix. Try wiping your drive and start fresh to see if that works for you as well.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
I tried delete all partitions and reformated the ssd drive but still not working. I also tried another USB key but the same problem ...

I feel your pain ... I spent way too many hours yesterday trying all sorts of ways to erase / partition / etc. my SanDisk Extreme 500 GB SSD, and finally, when I was about to quit for good & give up, it worked. I don't know exactly what I did to make it work, but the program I used is called "EaseUS Partition".

I believe what I did was the following. I started the WIPE DATA function (make sure you are on teh SSD and not your C: drive!) and that process was taking forever. So after about it being 10% complete I stopped the WIPE DATA process.

I then formatted the SSD to FAT32 again (for like the 10th time...), and after that process was done, I went to the car, plugged it in, waited for the dredded red "!", which usually came up in a few minutes, and it did not appear.

Thinking it was solved I finally went to bed, and let it run in Sentry Mode all night last night. I will check the SSD later today to see if it recorded anything, and if I remember to update this post I will. Hope this helps.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
I tried delete all partitions and reformated the ssd drive but still not working. I also tried another USB key but the same problem ...

I think it's time for a Tech Support call !
Have you tried a smaller usb drive? Perhaps the large partition size is messing it up. Just a thought. If it doesn't work with a 8-16 gb stick then maybe something is wrong with your usb port.

I have a 128gb flash drive as a single large partition and haven't seen any issues with newest firmware, though I haven't looked at any footage recently. I often get corrupted videos in sentry mode, but never an issue while driving.

Talking to Tesla Oakville service techs and the corrupted/garbled video in sentry mode is a 'common' issue because when parked the car is keeping the power feed at a minimum (though still a crazy power draw for running 3 cameras if you ask me). Recent updates have apparently made it more stable, and perhaps I have seen that in the previous firmware I had, but haven't checked sentry videos in the latest one I got last week.

Did you use diskpart.exe to delete your partitions or the Computer Management console?

You need to use diskpart.exe to make sure you delete the GPT reserved partition. The MCU sometimes corrupts the file tables contained in this partition so you have to wipe it and get Windows to re-create it.

I would suggest trying a smaller USB key as well, and if you have your drive connected to a usb hub, try connecting it directly to one of the car's USB ports instead to test. Hopefully you get this sorted out.

Did you use diskpart.exe to delete your partitions or the Computer Management console?

You need to use diskpart.exe to make sure you delete the GPT reserved partition. The MCU sometimes corrupts the file tables contained in this partition so you have to wipe it and get Windows to re-create it.

I would suggest trying a smaller USB key as well, and if you have your drive connected to a usb hub, try connecting it directly to one of the car's USB ports instead to test. Hopefully you get this sorted out.

Thanks for the Recommendations ... I will try them out tonight !

Just update model 3 -usb was working fine, same usb now not recognized at all - can't see usb to read music, etc. Tried hard reboot, no difference.
I thought updates were supposed to improve things not break them!

I'd rather have my usb's working than getting loads of new games!!!!!!! Wish I had an option to turn games off.