Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use the automated raspberry pi zero teslacam that automatically uploads sentry and dash cam footage to a PC at home. There are variations that will also upload to AWS so you can get a cloud storage solution also.

I also use tesla-dashcam to combine all the footage into a single MP4 file. so what happens is that once all my footage is uploaded the PC runs the program to merge each sentry/dashcam save into a single MP4

I have a script that runs on the raspberry pi zero that copies/moves out the RecentClips (where the dashcam footage is stored) to another directory so it then fills up the SSD with dashcam footage before deleting the oldest version(it'll store about 5 hours before it loops) currently testing it, but i'm hopeful it'll help. The biggest issue atm is the scheduling, but i'm getting here(famous last words)

Also, I will admit i've found the video quality poor when compared to an aftermarket dashcam

That all sounds quite technical, which can be an end to itself.

I've gotta ask though....why do all this?

LateSoftHoneyeater-small.gif

Reactions: apehest
That all sounds quite technical, which can be an end to itself.

I've gotta ask though....why do all this?
One of the key features of the Tesla is the amount of data it produces, and fiddling potential it has. I am sure "normal" people just treat it like a mode of transport, but this car brings out the geek in me.

In all honesty, if the car had a dashcam that worked like a proper dashcam I wouldn't bother, but since it doesn't then it opens the door for the aforementioned fiddling potential :)

Reactions: Durzel
One of the key features of the Tesla is the amount of data it produces, and fiddling potential it has. I am sure "normal" people just treat it like a mode of transport, but this car brings out the geek in me.

In all honesty, if the car had a dashcam that worked like a proper dashcam I wouldn't bother, but since it doesn't then it opens the door for the aforementioned fiddling potential :)

A man after my own heart!
Though, I'm, slowly learning as I get older that I sometimes need to remind myself that just because something can be done =/= it must be done.:D

I've used the horn once or twice, occasionally use Sentry when parked in an unknown location then have a quick check of the footage around the red dot, delete & forget about it.

Without meaning to appear harsh or offend others who do, even with time on my hands during lockdown days it's never occurred to me to spend time re-watching a journey for old times sake or any other reason that hasn't occurred to me yet ;)

Reactions: Zakalwe