Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Data on how long it takes to charge to 100% from 90%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am going on a trip today and so last night I took my car up to 90% overnight. Then this morning I asked it to go to 100% and I watched how long it took (so I could plan for the future).

Here are the results as indicated by my Sense Home Energy Monitor. It was about an hour and twenty minutes.

Indicated charge state was 89% when I started, and 99% when complete (not sure why it does not show 100%).

Charge rate started tapering within about fifteen minutes of starting the charge on my 60a circuit HPWC setup.

Ignore the yellow, that is my solar on this smoke filled cloudy day. There is also some small amount of other nominal house loads dirtying up this graph, but you get the idea.

I thought others might find this useful!

Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 1.26.37 PM.png

I am going on a trip today and so last night I took my car up to 90% overnight. Then this morning I asked it to go to 100% and I watched how long it took (so I could plan for the future).

Here are the results as indicated by my Sense Home Energy Monitor. It was about an hour and twenty minutes.

Indicated charge state was 89% when I started, and 99% when complete (not sure why it does not show 100%).

Charge rate started tapering within about fifteen minutes of starting the charge on my 60a circuit HPWC setup.

Ignore the yellow, that is my solar on this smoke filled cloudy day. There is also some small amount of other nominal house loads dirtying up this graph, but you get the idea.

I thought others might find this useful!

View attachment 326315
What was the mph rate of charging when you started? (I'm not familiar with the normal rate of charge (in mph terms) coming from a 60a setup.)

One thing I learned with my 3 is that if you want to charge to 100%, go out to the car and move the slider on the screen all the way over. If you do it from the phone app it doesn't quite get to 100%.

Ah! So maybe that explains why it did not get all the way to 100%... Thanks.

The slider on the car and on the phone don't seem to fully match. Also, the "snap to" point at 90% does not visually appear to be at 90%.

I really hate the UI's. I would much rather be able to set a fixed percentage to charge to, not some arbitrary drag the scale thing. The OCD in me really dislikes it....

Ah! So maybe that explains why it did not get all the way to 100%... Thanks.

The slider on the car and on the phone don't seem to fully match. Also, the "snap to" point at 90% does not visually appear to be at 90%.

I really hate the UI's. I would much rather be able to set a fixed percentage to charge to, not some arbitrary drag the scale thing. The OCD in me really dislikes it....

The S loaner I had, you can click on the arrows and the limit would shift to each mark (50%, 60%, 70%, etc), not sure why the 3 doesn’t work the same way. I feel like I get the point right on the mark and as soon as I lift my finger, it moves just a tad off the mark. I think I have the same OCD you have.

Reactions: eprosenx