Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DC Fast Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm about to take my longest M3 trip (FL to Santa Fe, NM). I have a pretty good plan for using Superchargers for the trip but as a backup I was trying to figure out if I could use any of the other fast charger systems like ChargePoint or PlugShare. Since it looks like CHAdeMO is going the way of BetaMax (imo anyway) and I really don't want to spend $450 for a backup I probably will never use I was hoping there were some non-Superchargers I could use.

Does anyone know if I can charge at one of these non-Tesla sites?

I'm about to take my longest M3 trip (FL to Santa Fe, NM). I have a pretty good plan for using Superchargers for the trip but as a backup I was trying to figure out if I could use any of the other fast charger systems like ChargePoint or PlugShare. Since it looks like CHAdeMO is going the way of BetaMax (imo anyway) and I really don't want to spend $450 for a backup I probably will never use I was hoping there were some non-Superchargers I could use.

No.

It's Superchargers plus AC charging only if you don't have a CHAdeMO Adapter.

If you hook up with the Florida Tesla Owners Club maybe they have an adapter lending scheme.

You should have a continuous availability of Superchargers all the way.

No worries. You aren't exactly going into the back of beyond.
Mostly I-10 and I-20, surely?

Plot out the route for reassurance.

Reactions: XLR82XS
You can totally use some of those other chargers out there but you'll be using the J1772 adapter that came with the car and it'll be balls slow and expensive probably but yes, you can use them.

Jump on A Better Route Planner for the route but you can take a look at the attachments here for an idea

Attachments

• superchargers.PNG
    superchargers.PNG
    477.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Capture23.PNG
    Capture23.PNG
    397 KB · Views: 51
I recommend checking plugshare for nema14-50 sites like campgrounds. That way you can charge all night and wake up with a full charge. If car camping is your thing.... Or a bail out option. If you do the camp method, make sure you have a TT-30 ev specific adapter as a back up to this backup.

But ya borrowing a chademoe is an ok temp solution. Bring an extension cable for your plain mobile adapter plug.

A most kind person was lending out CHAdeMO for free -- give him a call.

================================= Hello everyone. I now have a supply of CHAdeMO Adapters ready and available to loan out for free to people in North America. I have 2 adapters on hand, and I have 4 more waiting for me to pick up from the service center Friday when I drop my car off for service at Highland Park. So for now, I will have a total of 6 available to borrow. I also placed one already on permanent loan at Marshall Auto Body in Waukesha, Wi (Authorized Tesla Body Shop) who has a 50kW CHAdeMO Station, 20kW HPWC and 20kW J1772 available for free powered by their 70kW Solar Array.

Details: No cost to borrow. Just a deposit for the adapter that will be refunded upon return of the adapter. This is to cover the cost if the borrower does not return it.

I will ship anywhere in USA or Canada. Shipping is to be paid by person borrowing the adapter. I'm Located in Wisconsin, so shipping to either coast is fairly reasonable.

You can pick up the adapter from me in Milwaukee, WI, Madison, WI or Wisconsin Dells, WI. Or I can meet you (within reasonable distance).

I hope this can help some people do some good traveling! I also have 14-50 extension cords (They are HEAVY, I will not ship these) and 14-30 cords. I also have a 5-15/5-20 to 6-20 (120v 15 or 20 amp plug to 240v 20 amp plug) that is very handy for plugging into Motel/Hotel air conditioner outlets.

Please contact me at 414-807-8354 or [email protected] or PM me here!

As posted earlier by another person, Superchargers all the way seems straightforward. ABRP is a great tool I just used to map out the trip in my Model 3 LR. Out of curiosity I used the result to calculate average charging speed presuming 300 Wh/mile and found 110 kW. The average is not higher because quite a few stops are planned for charging > 70% SoC. I don't know if Superchargers are being skipped but the plan to stop for ~ 30 minutes every 2 - 3 hours of driving makes a lot of sense for a pleasant (and healthy) long drive.

As posted earlier by another person, Superchargers all the way seems straightforward. ABRP is a great tool I just used to map out the trip in my Model 3 LR. Out of curiosity I used the result to calculate average charging speed presuming 300 Wh/mile and found 110 kW. The average is not higher because quite a few stops are planned for charging > 70% SoC. I don't know if Superchargers are being skipped but the plan to stop for ~ 30 minutes every 2 - 3 hours of driving makes a lot of sense for a pleasant (and healthy) long drive.

Right, that's the correct cadence.

Buy the 14-50 adapter and use RV parks.

thanks for all the quick feedback! I do use ABRP and really like it. One reason I asked the question is they have a Tesla CCS filter which lead me to think I may have missed something, but after posting it occurred to me that is probably for non-US Tesla owners. Sigh

Another reason is on a recent (and my first) long, long day trip what I realized was that I was tied to the Superchargers more than I was to my 310 mile range. I charge based on where the Superchargers are, not where I need to charge. Granted that can mean a 10 minute stop, but still.... Also in my original post I said I was going to Santa Fe, but I'm going via Taos which doesn't have a supercharger (yet, there is a future one on their map). Anyway, being able to use other fast chargers, while not a show stopper would have made my trip a little better from my POV. I do not know why Tesla can make a Chademo adapter but not a CCS one (rhetorical question)

I do have an EVSE extension cable and one of their 14-50 adapters and the Tesla adapter kit, so if need be I can always find a way to charge, I just hate the idea that a Conestoga might beat me to the next charger station!

Again, thanks to all

So if you're still interested in what the CHAdeMO coverage is on the ChargePoint network, here are the current stations:

chargepoint_chademo_map.jpg

A vast wasteland between FL and TX and then after TX, nothing into NM. Looking at EVGO, it's the same story:

evgo_chademo_map.jpg