Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DCFC in SE NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nwdiver

Feb 17, 2013
United States
If Francis Energy is as prolific in NM as they are in OK there should be a lot of CCS available soon.

Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 9.03.58 PM.png

If Francis Energy is as prolific in NM as they are in OK there should be a lot of CCS available soon.
Let's hope they get started in NM soon!

Time for a real Tesla-produced CCS adapter? Don't want to buy the Chademo adapter, even if it was in stock, which seems rare. It seems clear that CCS1 is the future in North America.

Indeed. I think we can expect that a Tesla CCS1 adapter will be available before they open superchargers to other cars in North America (it would look pretty bad for Tesla otherwise) - but hard to say if that's 3 months or 3 years away!

Francis Energy got funding from the State for 2 DCFC at ~20 locations, mostly at Allsups in SE New Mexico:

Sierra Electric Cooperative EVNM-0048 Truth or Consequences
Allsups Carrizozo EVNM-0031
Allsups Hondo EVNM-0024
FEC Ft. Sumner 0010
Allsups Alamogordo EVNM 0025
Sierra Grande Travel Center EVNM 0027 Des Moines
Allsups Tatum EVNM-0047
Allsups Tucumcari EVNM-00050
Allsups Vaughn EVNM-00049
Allsups Gallup EVNM-00037
Allsups Hobbs EVNM-00019
Clines Corners EVNM-00033 Travel Center
Allsups Artesia EVNM-00017
Allsups Carlsbad EVNM 0022
Allsups Elida EVNM-00034
Allsups Roswell EVNM-00014
Allsups Grants EVNM-00038
Allsups Ruidoso EVNM-00044
FEC Clovis EVNM 009.

This is really exciting to see! Someone has updated PlugShare with many locations in SE NM that show coming soon. The map looks much more filled in. One can actually travel into Carlsbad and back out of the charge desert (except east) without L2 charging!

While the CCS adapter will be welcome, I’d really like to see an option to add a CCS port (3 & Y have the space) so that I can take full current, I’d be surprised if the adapter permitted more than 250A. Being able to take Tesla, j1772, and CCS1 without adapters and full power would be ideal.

Reactions: Jane4 and sdoorex
Meanwhile, up in NE NM, Kit Carson Electric is apparently installing 2 new DCFC sites (down from 5 originally proposed). This article doesn't separate DCFC sites vs L2 charger sites, but one might guess that Questa and Peñasco might be the DCFC sites, because they're the only two sites listing 2 installations. It claims that they were scheduled for completion by mid-August (as of early June when the article was written):

That was quick. Nameplate says 75Adc max so depending on your SOC these are a just little faster than a HPWC... so DC’F’C....

View attachment 707066View attachment 707065
Amazing they accomplished this so quickly! The speed is a big improvement if you only have the 11 kW onboard AC charger. But CCS only is a little disappointing, all the more reason for a Tesla CCS adapter. (I’m familiar with the setec adapter but I’m waiting for a hopefully 350A capable pass through adapter). Hopefully Francis is just as fast with their other planned locations.