Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DCU not being fixed rate anymore?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First their site says "1.49%", second none of the CU's I've ever belonged to ever had membership fees (thats weird).

A quick 2min search (I'm not spending more time researching something I dont need) shows that both PenFed and NFCU have 1.79 (0.3% higher, but also I spent no time searching). Splitting hairs when rates are 2%... plus they're brick and mortar so you can go in and talk with someone if you have an issue and get a check cut right there.
Well brick and mortar stores and banks are slowly vanishing. Take Tesla buying experience for instance, I didn’t talk to a soul during the entire process. Ordered thru app, got Tesla insurance thru app, applied loan at DCU thru website, took delivery of the car thru app. Boom done ! No hassle..no bargaining..no upsell ..nothing plain and simple. I understand it’s not for everyone, but that what the new generation is going towards . Right or wrong !

I just financed thru DCU , it was smooth as buttercream ! Just like someone said on this thread …just filled out a form and send a message saying it’s an EV and have DD , the rate was 1.34% , uploaded the purchase agreement and a day later they send me photo of the check and a fedex confirmation number for the check that was send to Tesla . Boom ! Done !
Do they ask for proof of income, were planning on purchasing a Tesla for my mom as well she has a credit score of 750+ but planning on retiring soon so was curious with $10k down and stellar credit, do they ask for proof of income?

First their site says "1.49%", second none of the CU's I've ever belonged to ever had membership fees (thats weird).

A quick 2min search (I'm not spending more time researching something I dont need) shows that both PenFed and NFCU have 1.79 (0.3% higher, but also I spent no time searching). Splitting hairs when rates are 2%... plus they're brick and mortar so you can go in and talk with someone if you have an issue and get a check cut right there.
You get to that rate through a couple of discounts. It starts at around 2%, but you deduct .25% for Tesla being an EV, then you deduct another .5% if you set up a direct deposit of any amount. Assuming you have high enough credit, this will bring you to 1.24%.

DCU does have physical locations in NH and MA. I admit, their relative inaccessibility and unusually long hold times are detriments. I'm not trying to make DCU out to be something they're not. You said "I'm not sure why people are all over DCU," so I responded with why they're so attractive.

Reactions: solodogg

The rate is 1.49% for ICE vehicles, 0.25% discount for EV's making it 1.24% for Tesla purchasers with direct deposit setup.

$50k purchase at 1.24% for 65 months would cost you $1724 in interest. Raising the rate to 1.79% increases that cost to $2500. $775 isn't exactly splitting hairs when you're going to spend the time applying for a loan at either place, why not take the one that saves the most money? DCU is also brick and mortar if you live in Mass. Not everyone qualifies for NFCU/USAA. PenFed/NFCU are only 1.79% for up to 36 months.

Do they ask for proof of income, were planning on purchasing a Tesla for my mom as well she has a credit score of 750+ but planning on retiring soon so was curious with $10k down and stellar credit, do they ask for proof of income?
I can't speak for other people, but they didn't ask me for proof (and I'm self employed, which usually invites higher scrutiny for income verification.)

You mentioned putting 10k down. If you want my unsolicited opinion, provided you do get approved at or near 1.24%, I wouldn't put anything down. Maybe pay the taxes and fees, but at least take the loan for the entirety of the car. Assuming you finance for 65-72 months, you're paying 10k to lower your monthly payment by about $12. With interest this low, you're better off investing that 10k in something else that would provide a significantly greater return after the 5-6 year period of your loan.

I can't speak for other people, but they didn't ask me for proof (and I'm self employed, which usually invites higher scrutiny for income verification.)

You mentioned putting 10k down. If you want my unsolicited opinion, provided you do get approved at or near 1.24%, I wouldn't put anything down. Maybe pay the taxes and fees, but at least take the loan for the entirety of the car. Assuming you finance for 65-72 months, you're paying 10k to lower your monthly payment by about $12. With interest this low, you're better off investing that 10k in something else that would provide a significantly greater return after the 5-6 year period of your loan.
Where were you 3 weeks ago 😜 that’s a good thought . Had I seen this I would have done exactly what you said. But I also put 10k down ! 😢

Show me another bank or credit union that will offer 1.24% with zero membership fees, will finance over 100% of the car, and will let you apply for the loan before becoming a member! DCU is the best there is now. I understand the mods cracking down on people spamming referral threads, but discussing DCU in general feels like walking on eggshells on this forum. It's an amazing resource that's uniquely beneficial to someone buying an EV.

Thats because of the very (very) rampant referral exploitation that we asked repeatedly for people to stop, and they would not. So now, we are "making" people stop it.

If you notice, I havent shut down every discussion about it, but invariably, people start either promoting it with basic "wink wink" PM me type stuff, or something else.

I dont mind if people are clear that it doesnt need a referral and point them to DCU website for them to do whatever, but anything that looks like referral is going to meet action, because of what I said before.

People simply would not stop when we repeatedly said "Hey TMC doesnt allow referrals like that, and yes we are well aware there is a financial incentive for people pushing DCU referrals so please stop."

This is not directed at the person I am quoting, but Anyone asking for a DCU referral or saying "PM me for a referral" is likely to get a temp ban, and if its a person I know has seen the previous messages it wont be a 1 day "get your attention" one.

• Informative
Reactions: Daniel L
Thats because of the very (very) rampant referral exploitation that we asked repeatedly for people to stop, and they would not. So now, we are "making" people stop it.

If you notice, I havent shut down every discussion about it, but invariably, people start either promoting it with basic "wink wink" PM me type stuff, or something else.

I dont mind if people are clear that it doesnt need a referral and point them to DCU website for them to do whatever, but anything that looks like referral is going to meet action, because of what I said before.

People simply would not stop when we repeatedly said "Hey TMC doesnt allow referrals like that, and yes we are well aware there is a financial incentive for people pushing DCU referrals so please stop."

This is not directed at the person I am quoting, but Anyone asking for a DCU referral or saying "PM me for a referral" is likely to get a temp ban, and if its a person I know has seen the previous messages it wont be a 1 day "get your attention" one.
I can appreciate the expectation that members don’t solicit referrals by saying "If anyone needs a referral PM me". I don’t think I‘be ever posted anything like that, but have seen them for sure. But I’m curious if we are also discouraging new comers from saying "Can someone send me a referral?".

100% agree that membership is not dependent on a referral code. I joined with just a $10 donation to an affiliated organization.

I realize my post earlier when someone asked "Can you send me a referral?" And I replied "I could, PM me" so I may have crossed the line, but to be clear I don’t think I’ve ever actively solicited referrals.

Just trying to clear things up.

But I’m curious if we are also discouraging new comers from saying "Can someone send me a referral?".

Yes, we are, especially because some of them are sockpuppets of other accounts, or start threads specifically asking for DCU referrals. Those threads we delete, and those users get banned for 1 day and sent a PM as a warning.

Reactions: OCJeff
I just financed thru DCU , it was smooth as buttercream ! Just like someone said on this thread …just filled out a form and send a message saying it’s an EV and have DD , the rate was 1.34% , uploaded the purchase agreement and a day later they send me photo of the check and a fedex confirmation number for the check that was send to Tesla . Boom ! Done !
I second this experience. I just closed a loan for $100k with them at 1.24%. The variable rate feature allows them to bump the rate by 50bps if you fail to satisfy their direct deposit requirement. I'm not sure if you cure that default if you revert back to the 50bps lower rate.
Smoothest banking/borrowing experience I've had in a long time. The only downside is that getting DCU on the phone can be a long wait time.

I think it means that if you sign up saying your doing direct deposit to get .5 off and then don't they will bump your rate up .5%

So "consummation" means you've signed up for the loan. So they're saying that the _final_ rate could change.

Metaphorically, there's no guarantee on the weight of the baby until it's delivered.

It's 1.24% for anything that gets 35MPG or better combined. Assuming you finance 100% of the car, 1.24% vs 1.79% is $1000 in savings. Not splitting hairs.

This..same experience. But i was able to set up an account when they were offering referrals.

I started filling out the new member application and then stopped short of giving consent to check my credit. I am still waiting on my vin before applying for a loan but thought it would be proactive to become a member first. So do they check your credit to become a member and when applying for a loan? TIA!

I started filling out the new member application and then stopped short of giving consent to check my credit. I am still waiting on my vin before applying for a loan but thought it would be proactive to become a member first. So do they check your credit to become a member and when applying for a loan? TIA!
There's a hard pull when you apply for a loan but not when you open an account to become a member.

Once you get approved for a loan, the rate/approval is good for 45 days. 1.99 approval means 1.24 interest rate after factoring in the direct deposit and EV discount. This isn't clear during the approval process. I applied (without VIN) and did not "accept" the loan on the final screen but they pulled my credit and the loan was considered approved. Once I received a VIN and MVPA, I reached out and they finalized it.

There's a hard pull when you apply for a loan but not when you open an account to become a member.

Once you get approved for a loan, the rate/approval is good for 45 days. 1.99 approval means 1.24 interest rate after factoring in the direct deposit and EV discount.
I saw something in the consent form that said it was ok to check my credit so I backed out of it. How long does it take to approve a request for membership? Also do I need to open both a savings and a checking to get the best rate?