Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dead 2013 Model S after DCDC converter repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reading about the fuse fix in DC converter to possibly fix a dead heater and needing to replace headlight too I tried the fuse repair. I had little time and ran into delays so this took longer than anticipated and I now have a dead car. Ideas? Day 1: Opened door and put windows down. Left door open. Disconnected 12V DC battery lead and first responder loop. Changed headlight bulb Day 2: Removed DCDC converter, found bad fuse, replaced it, resealed and replaced unit. Day 3 put everything back together and reconnected only to find that the car was completely dead. I measure 12V battery and it shows full but the car won't power up or even open charge port. I noticed that the door lights were ON at Day 2 and thought that was odd with the 12VDC disconnected and first responder loop removed but Day 3 they were out when I was putting things back together. Any thoughts to get back up?

I closed the car doors last night and went to bed, put the battery charger on this AM and checked voltage...3.4V now (down from over 13V last night when I checked). I hit the "Charge Battery" and like magic everything came to life. My screen is showing 128 miles range inside so I didn't empty the HV battery like I went to bed fearing. Love to hear theories on what happened, but I'm currently waiting for the battery charger to finish charging the 12V and plan to then disconnect that and then connect my tesla charger to top off before going for a ride and testing the heater fix. Whew (I think)! I did get the 12V battery replaced by tesla (about 1 year ago?). 2013 Model S P85 with about 140K.

U must get super jumper from big truck which will give you at least 14.5 volts. After 20 to 30 minutes your car will come alive. Leave it hooked up for 30 minutes. Then go get a normal 220v or super charger.
Mine died Thanksgiving, Tesla rep knew how to bring 12v battery back to life.

U must get super jumper from big truck which will give you at least 14.5 volts. After 20 to 30 minutes your car will come alive. Leave it hooked up for 30 minutes. Then go get a normal 220v or super charger.
Mine died Thanksgiving, Tesla rep knew how to bring 12v battery back to life.
Thanks for the recommendation. Been running fine since I charged up the 12V with my little Black & Decker. The DCDC fuse fix also resolved my broken heater so I'm back at 100% functionality!

Reactions: brkaus