Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Plaid dead after pyro fuse replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How did you find out it was battery controller? Would Toolbox still work when the screens are out? Mine is at similar condition, but one day it did light up the screens and could to go service mode. There were only 8 active alerts, all of those were from VCBATT. There should be a lot more codes, headlights, coolant level, airbags, one ABS sensor missing etc. Was away briefly and the screens were out again, no luck after that. My VC front has mechanical damage, 55pin connector and the pins were bend. LV was 11.8v, used 13.5v supply, LV disconnected. Tried also charge LV up to 16v and use it, made no difference.

Should the screens start even when HV pyro fuse is open? As far as I understand, screens are LV and they should not need HV as far as LV voltage is sufficient.

I am very new to the world of Tesla so my knowledge is very limited. But on my 2021 Model S, the screens went black after an accidental airbag deployment. Even after replacing the pyro fuse the screens were black... and the ECU would not communicate with Toolbox. I replaced the VCBatt and it didn't change anything. I replaced the VCFront and that did the trick. I reinstalled my original VCBatt and everything is back to normal. I believe in most cases, the screens will remain working even with a blown pyro fuse. The pyro fuse is an easy change... just a little scary. =-)

I am very new to the world of Tesla so my knowledge is very limited. But on my 2021 Model S, the screens went black after an accidental airbag deployment. Even after replacing the pyro fuse the screens were black... and the ECU would not communicate with Toolbox. I replaced the VCBatt and it didn't change anything. I replaced the VCFront and that did the trick. I reinstalled my original VCBatt and everything is back to normal. I believe in most cases, the screens will remain working even with a blown pyro fuse. The pyro fuse is an easy change... just a little scary. =-)

What is an accidental airbag deployment? Was your car in an accident or are you saying it deployed without the car having an impact?

Not at ALL!!! The noise was pretty spectacular. The shop that supposedly "repaired" the car after the accident, installed the LH curtain airbag on the RH side and vise versa and didn't have all the fasteners attached. So when the airbags deployed, one of the loose fasteners flew up and shattered the panoramic roof glass as well. It has been a COSTLY mistake that could have been prevented in 30 seconds by unplugging the LV battery.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Not at ALL!!! The noise was pretty spectacular. The shop that supposedly "repaired" the car after the accident, installed the LH curtain airbag on the RH side and vise versa and didn't have all the fasteners attached. So when the airbags deployed, one of the loose fasteners flew up and shattered the panoramic roof glass as well. It has been a COSTLY mistake that could have been prevented in 30 seconds by unplugging the LV battery.

On the bright side, it might save a life later having exposed the incorrectly installed airbags which you wouldn't have known about without the accidental deployment.

New VCFront from Tesla or used one? So, based on examples in this thread, it seems there might be some safety feature in these VC controllers that cuts some LV power when airbags are deployed. New controller and they work again. Maybe controllers could be erased like RCM.

The VCFront I installed for my 21+ MS was part number 1585663-00-D (see first link below). I would check the epc.tesla.com website to validate if you have a different model/year. It is literally 3 bolts and a ground and is easy to access. It is mounted on the forward passenger side of the air suspension super beam (see second link below).

Parts Catalog

Last edited: