Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dead battery 2008 Tesla Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The suspense was killing me so I called the dealership and...

$27,995 is the asking price (AutoTrader ad is incorrect)!!!!?

giphy.gif

The sales rep I spoke with said they've sent the car to the local Tesla SC for "reconditioning" as the car needs to pass a 67 point inspection in order for them to sell it. Anyway, this has got to be the lowest price on record for a running, complete Roadster so someone's going to get screaming deal if all checks out. BTW... there's apparently a waiting list so I'm sure some of you on here have already put their names in. :D

• Funny
Reactions: DeedWest
So, since the battery has been dead three years, I suppose Tesla is checking to make sure everything else checks out?

A 3.0 for $49,000 & change is fantastic to say the least. Also, in case anyone is curious what this car look(ed) like, here’s an old photo.

72E2250D-6C5E-4031-962D-870DC4E03E10.jpeg

She’s Very Orange with Dark Gray Base interior, Gray Cast Wheels, and had a Body Color Hard Top last I saw her.

• Informative
Reactions: Roadster
Are we sure we’re talking about the same dead ESS car the OP was inquiring about?
Yeah, that's what I've been wondering. @DeedWest, how did you conclude that 313 at Nissan of New Rochelle is the OP's car? Although @dead08roadster's comment about taking the car to auction is something I'd expect a dealer to say rather than an individual owner... Curiouser and curiouser...

That would be poor show when a dealer lies to an open forum to sort out how to make a 50,000 profit. I’m sure a mod can find out. However there could be a couple of 08’s floating around. Or the dealer may have bought it at auction and got a winner. Either way it’s strange the OP went silent straight after.

OP reporting they are in Long Island, and dealer listing being in New Rochelle put them in proximity, so seems plausible that it is the same car.
DeedWest, was yours a guess, or did you find some actual reference between the two?

OP reporting they are in Long Island, and dealer listing being in New Rochelle put them in proximity, so seems plausible that it is the same car.
DeedWest, was yours a guess, or did you find some actual reference between the two?

It wasn't a guess, as I heard from a friend about this car before he sold it to the dealership. I guess the OP had initially reached out to potential buyers for advice and I got sent a text asking for advice.

You can tell it's the same car from the photo that the dealership posted. When the orange display shows only mileage, the ESS is inactive.

Looks like "Nissan of New Rochelle" has this vehicle question now. I'm a little confused, as their website lists it for $27,999,
That is not what I see. Go to Used 2008 Tesla Roadster New Rochelle NY 5YJRE11B781000313

It shows the price as $80K. Which of course is very negotiable. In my opinion, they will not get anywhere near that for that particular Roadster, a 1.5 with 24K miles on it.

I’ve read through this thread and I’m unclear on what the Roadster #313 for sale listing has to do with the topic of the thread?

Its the same car, the OP sold it for $18,500 to Nissan, its unclear if they did anything other than put the service plug in and recharge and sent it for a service, or put a 3.0 battery. either way when they first got it, they put a price of 27,995 before they got it running and then added 50,000 to the asking price

• Helpful
Reactions: DeedWest
Thank you for the explanation.

Based on the OP, the dealer could not have just plugged it in and re-charged it and got it going again.

So they must have put a 3.0 battery in it. My understanding is that Tesla is no longer offering Roadster batteries of the original type/capacity.

With a 3.0 battery in the car they may get something close to their $80K asking price. Or maybe not. We’ll never know unless the next owner shows up on TMC and tells us what they paid.