Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dear hatch fitment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every Model Y rear trunk I’ve came across recently have slightly misaligned rear trunk with gap being wider on the driver side. You think service center reports and customer complaints for the past several months would have corrected this but I don’t believe so.

I had this issue as well. The rear hatch was perfect on delivery day- but a few hundred miles later it had adjusted off center so the gap was bigger on the drivers side. Took it to service center and the adjusted it free of charge.

Hate to revive an old thread, but the same thing just happened to mine. 9/2020 delivery. Sometime between yesterday at 11 am and this morning, the hatch shifted, and now it's catching on the passenger taillight.

50% will open after a struggle, other 50% will just shut back down. The worst part is the first available service is the first week of March...

Hate to revive an old thread, but the same thing just happened to mine. 9/2020 delivery. Sometime between yesterday at 11 am and this morning, the hatch shifted, and now it's catching on the passenger taillight.

50% will open after a struggle, other 50% will just shut back down. The worst part is the first available service is the first week of March...
Let me guess. You tried to get an appointment at Burbank, California? My trunk also is misaligned. In back trunk passenger side has the much larger gap and is inset from passenger rear panel A lot. I think both side are supposed to be slightly inset but could be wrong. My driver side is hardly inset and almost touches driver side rear panel. liftgate has gaps / hardly any gap on either side of upper are which curve down from rear windows. Going in the shop today. Sadly had to use a shop on other side of Los Angeles to get an appointment anytime soon since the shop down the road (Burbank,ca) is busiest in the state. First available appointment was also March 1 as of a week ago.

Let me guess. You tried to get an appointment at Burbank, California? My trunk also is misaligned. In back trunk passenger side has the much larger gap and is inset from passenger rear panel A lot. I think both side are supposed to be slightly inset but could be wrong. My driver side is hardly inset and almost touches driver side rear panel. liftgate has gaps / hardly any gap on either side of upper are which curve down from rear windows. Going in the shop today. Sadly had to use a shop on other side of Los Angeles to get an appointment anytime soon since the shop down the road (Burbank,ca) is busiest in the state. First available appointment was also March 1 as of a week ago.
Down in San Diego. Earliest was in Temecula but it's ~60 miles 1-way. Going to try the bumpers after work but still strange that it was fine for the first ~16 months of ownership then shifted one day.

You can dial in or out the rubber bumpers on either side to see if that helps. Might take a couple tries of adjustment and opening/closing see what looks best. If that doesn't work, then service is the next step.
Hi Mike/All I just took delivery on MY with a misalignment and gap on the passenger side of the rear Hatch. It is also sunken versus flush on the other side. I will try the stoppers you mentioned here Mike, and see if that helps. But I tried to set an appointment with service and used the app and the only place I could find that was a fit was under "Door handles and Latches" and described the problem. They came back with a $96 Cost Estimate on the same day I took delivery of the car. Is this what everyone else experienced? How do you file a warranty service visit for this? I questioned the estimate and said it should be no cost, and because they already processed it they are not responding. I really am not enjoying this impersonal non-customer centric experience. Where did everyone file their complaint on hatch misfit problems in the Service/Tesla app?

Forgot to update, the service center across town (Centinella SC near Los Angeles International Airport) sent car to approved body shop. Issue fixed. I had other out of spec panel gaps that were fixed as well.

Hi Mike/All I just took delivery on MY with a misalignment and gap on the passenger side of the rear Hatch. It is also sunken versus flush on the other side. I will try the stoppers you mentioned here Mike, and see if that helps. But I tried to set an appointment with service and used the app and the only place I could find that was a fit was under "Door handles and Latches" and described the problem. They came back with a $96 Cost Estimate on the same day I took delivery of the car. Is this what everyone else experienced? How do you file a warranty service visit for this? I questioned the estimate and said it should be no cost, and because they already processed it they are not responding. I really am not enjoying this impersonal non-customer centric experience. Where did everyone file their complaint on hatch misfit problems in the Service/Tesla app?
You're all good, nothing to worry about. You filed the service ticket just fine. The $96 estimate is nothing to worry about. That is the cost estimate if the issue is not covered by warranty. I have a 2022 which has needed service a few times due to fixing delivery day issues. I've never been charged for any work so far. After the service is performed, a final bill comes via Tesla app asking for payment and it says $0 due and already says paid on it. I think Chevy did the same thing for my Volt.

By coincidence, I had Tesla Mobile repair come fix something this morning. My estimate was $120 and after the tech left, final bill was $0 due. My issue was interior trim piece popping out of the fasteners. Definitely covered by warranty still.

Last edited:
The $96 estimate is nothing to worry about. That is the cost estimate if the issue is not covered by warranty. I have a 2022 which has needed service a few times due to fixing delivery day issues. I've never been charged for any work so far. After the service is performed, a final bill comes via Tesla app asking for payment and it says $0 due and already says paid on it. I think Chevy did the same thing for my Volt.

By coincidence, I had Tesla Mobile repair come fix something this morning. My estimate was $120 and after the tech left, final bill was $0 due. My issue was interior trim piece popping out of the fasteners. Definitely covered by warranty still.
Thank you for your experience.