Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Debating Protective Paint Film on a MS Lease 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got confirmation on delivery notice for Late July- August on MS60 Solid Black. I was originally going to get the white but after seeing black in the delivery bay at my local SC in costa mesa, I was sold. I've been researching the threads on protective paint and corrective color but after receiving the quote back from a reputable shop, the full front would cost just under $2k and the rear $650 installed. Considering this is a lease I've been advised by family members that this would be a waste of money to apply. My main concern is that with the new face lift and it being black, I wanted to avoid rock chips and bumper taps over time.... anyone else lease and justified the additional costs?

I know I've decided to lease, and had looked into these/considered it if I was purchasing; however, agree with your family members that it's a waste if you are leasing since it's basically money you are throwing away. Mind you as it would keep your car looking nice and if the roads/parking lots you frequent lead to chipping it might be worth it.

While YMMV, a service advisor noted the other day that the front end of my car had far fewer rock chips than expected for a car with now 54,000 miles in 18 months. Indeed, the windshield has all sorts of micropitting and some chips, and those started in month 1. In hindsight I should have had them replace the windshield.

So I attribute the lack of rock chips in the paint in part to the 5 microns of protection from Opti-Coat Pro. Didn't stop a rock scuff off a logging truck in Wyoming one trip, but it's stopped pretty much everything else. I didn't get it for that feature, obviously - primarily it's made removal of seabird strafing runs in a non-garaged ocean environment much easier than prior to the application of the coating.

I looked into a full Xpel wrap and they wanted just about $7,000. Pass.

Since you're leasing, I wouldn't worry about any of this unless you live in an area with poor roads or disproportionate truck traffic.

For top-end shine, search for artsci's recent Permanon thread. That's relatively inexpensive and can be done *and maintained* yourself presuming that the paint is not in need of professional correction yet.

Last edited:
How about skip the xpel and get the opticoat? its about $750 for the whole car but what exactly does this benefit and how long does it last? thanks,
Opticoat won't prevent rock chips
Hell, it didn't even prevent pain swirls on my old blue model s, which I was very disappointed with as that was its biggest "advertised" benefit

My 2 cents, I'm also leasing, and have scheduled a front end expel wrap.
My reasons are:
1) I want a great looking car!
2) I take a lot of road trips and would love the ease of wiping off the bugs without worrying about damaging the soft paint
3) I might keep the car after the lease and want it in as perfect shape as possible

Reactions: glusc2002
How about skip the xpel and get the opticoat? its about $750 for the whole car but what exactly does this benefit and how long does it last? thanks,

I don't know if you'll find an authorized detailer for Opti-Coat Pro that's not going to recommend paint correction before the application of the coating. But if you can get it all done for $750, more power to you.

Google or check out their website for benefits and for how long it lasts. My $0.02 and ballpark understanding is this:

C-Quartz - 3 microns, 3 year warranty
Opti-Coat Pro - 5 microns, 5 year warranty
Modesta - 10 microns, multiple days to apply, 10 year warranty (the coating of choice for folks with black cars, according to some)

The thing is, if you're leasing, and if the car is garaged, the new diluted coatings (which is to say, not any of the above) are pretty impressive - the difference being that they require semi-annual (more or less) attention.

Be aware that there's a contingent who just waxes their cars every 3 months and calls it good. Now, wax doesn't provide anywhere close to the thicknesses of the above coatings. And I'm sure someone will chime in with an alternate view.

Reactions: glusc2002
I agree with @TaoJones regarding price, unless your vehicle is in immaculate condition already, no shop will recommend applying a sealant without detailing and correcting the paint.
So that 750 price is going to be 1k+ when all said and done
I paid 1100 for a paint correction and opticoat pro, big mistake. (In my opinion)

I agree with @TaoJones regarding price, unless your vehicle is in immaculate condition already, no shop will recommend applying a sealant without detailing and correcting the paint.
So that 750 price is going to be 1k+ when all said and done
I paid 1100 for a paint correction and opticoat pro, big mistake. (In my opinion)

thanks for the input, but can you clarify for me. Your $1100 spent for correction and opticoat was a mistake or just getting quote without the correction is a big mistake... thanks

thanks for the input, but can you clarify for me. Your $1100 spent for correction and opticoat was a mistake or just getting quote without the correction is a big mistake... thanks
Doing the correction and opticoat was a mistake
For a few hundred more I could have had expel installed and prevented the rock chips in my hood/bumper as well as made it easier to clean the bugs off

Again that's just my .02 cents

Definitely a waste on a lease car...although the next owner (who you don't care about) would be happy (note: I'm assuming you have no intention of buying out the lease). If you really want to sink $2500 more into a leased Model S 60 you might just consider putting that money into the first few months of payments or getting an option you may not have already selected (like the air suspension). Leases get progressively worse financially as you start optioning up cars.

thanks for the input, im not keeping the car for sure so i do think it would be a waste, but i am a car guy and i do love a clean car and see the value of protection, time it would save to clean and anti swirling. The black is going to scratch and get small noticeable rock chips. I suppose I will have to oversee these and remind myself its a lease. This was the same issue i had with my yellow 991S 14'. 2/3'rds into the lease i stopped caring about the rock chips (very few but of course noticeable to me). I guess im just super excited about the delivery like everyone else was and want to protect it. thanks again for the opinions.

thanks for the input, im not keeping the car for sure so i do think it would be a waste, but i am a car guy and i do love a clean car and see the value of protection, time it would save to clean and anti swirling. The black is going to scratch and get small noticeable rock chips. I suppose I will have to oversee these and remind myself its a lease. This was the same issue i had with my yellow 991S 14'. 2/3'rds into the lease i stopped caring about the rock chips (very few but of course noticeable to me). I guess im just super excited about the delivery like everyone else was and want to protect it. thanks again for the opinions.

I had Opti Coat Pro Plus and Scotchguard 3M (whole hood/ Front fenders) applied to my Obsidan Black 90D Model S at delivery last month. I am leasing the vehicle with no intention to purchase at lease end. Cost for coatings and 3M was around $2200. I live in the midwest where the cost at a good shop is likely cheaper than you would pay on the coast.

I agree that it is a completely irrational expenditure on a lease car, but the car looks awesome! It's also alot easier to keep looking awesome with Opti Coat No Rinse wash than having to wax it. The Scotchguard has already absorbed several rock dings and the gloss from the coating is amazing! In my opinion, the $2200 cost is worth to keep the car looking great for the next three years. If you are obsessive/ compulsive about keeping your black car looking great and have the diposable income, then find a reputable shop and go for it!

Everything I've seen seems to indicate xpel or other wrap will cost 3.5-8K depending on how much of the car I get wrapped (Sacramento/Bay area).

I'm still leaning towards seeing what happens as I'm leasing; however, I did get a quote for two pass color correction + CQuartz Finest for $1399. The quote I got for the opti coat pro plus was the same price w/ out any paint correction/polish before. But think longer lasting protections like opti-coat & xpel are a waste, but many recommendations for CQuartz w/ a lease (since it's only designed to last 2-3 years). Slight protection + easier care as dirt/dust come off and it's hydrophobic that prevents water spots.