Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decision time!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m obsessing over a model 3.

From a time and part ex point of view, I’m looking for a low mileage, LR with less than 5k miles for which I’ll probably pay a few k below list price which im happy with.

If I end up with a November 2021 model for example, is there anything that I’ll lose out on by not getting a march 2022 model?

by time do you mean getting it quickly? You may find it potentially quicker to get a new one this quarter.

How are you planning to pay for it - if a loan for instance you may find the Tesla terms on a new one also competitive vs bank rates on a used one. Worth checking as used seem to not be that much cheaper. Tesla seem to ‘gold plate’ their used cars maybe to help them give better trade in values so eg they’ll flip a switch and enable enhanced autopilot to help them sell for a higher price. Also demand generally will keep used prices up

Just to clarify, I was wondering if there are any new hardware improvements expected imminently that I might regret not getting if I get a car that’s a few months old?

Ryzen infotainment computer for more responsive apps, possibly rear laminated glass for improved sound insulation (although that hasn’t been confirmed except on the model Y), Lithium ion 12v battery to provide a more robust low voltage battery.

Larger battery than some 2021 so more range too - not an issue if you get a very late 2021 but I think you‘d struggle to get one of those used. I think they only came in December in the UK (Europe and US had them earlier). More likely you’ll get the smaller battery. So assume more range on the new cars

LR with less than 5k miles for which I’ll probably pay a few k below list price which im happy with.
You will find that very difficult if you are looking for a basic white/black/18" model. Cheapest on AT at the moment meeting your age/mileage spec is only £1k below the new price - and that would be £500 more than the purchase price when new as it would have been brought before the £1.5k price rise in November.

If you want another colour/interior/wheel combination then you might find something around £50k which would be a £2k to £3k saving.

Ryzen infotainment computer for more responsive apps, possibly rear laminated glass for improved sound insulation (although that hasn’t been confirmed except on the model Y), Lithium ion 12v battery to provide a more robust low voltage battery.

Larger battery than some 2021 so more range too - not an issue if you get a very late 2021 but I think you‘d struggle to get one of those used. I think they only came in December in the UK (Europe and US had them earlier). More likely you’ll get the smaller battery. So assume more range on the new cars
Cheers. Looking at a December one

The Ryzen isn't all benefits, you loose some range and gain faster loading apps like YouTube. I imagine the UI responds faster generally but the Intel one isn't at all slow (apart from loading YouTube etc when parked).

You will likely get better games in the future too.

With new you get to choose which wheels you get and other options like black or white seats. Also standard autopilot or the other 2 options.
It all depends if you want a new one or not. When I was in your shoes in October, the price difference between 2nd hand or new wasn't that big.

Thanks - what about the ryzen upgrade? Could I find this out from the vin?
Did any of the December 2021 Model 3 UKs have Ryzen? I didn't think that was the case, and the new Model Y and 3 coming this month and next will be the first.

Why don't you just keep an eye on the Tesla Inventory, as the boats will be coming in for March delivery there will be cars appearing there that haven't been assigned to customers. There are 15 LR there already to pick from (if you like Black).

I believe Ryzen will only be MY for the first half of the year, and you can't tell from the VIN, at least not until people start reporting getting the Ryzen and you might be able to work out an approximate cut over date from the last 6 digits.

Over the last 6 months there have been changes to the battery and motors, these are a bit easier to tell from the vin, certainly the new motors. There's plenty of online VIN checkers, tesla-info one also tells you what other models have similar vins to compare, although it doesn't work so well on very recent changes,

Yes, I stand corrected, I've since seen that they're starting to come through. All Fremont 2022 cars seem to be getting the new processor and it seems the new low voltage battery thing which may well be linked and I've heard of some China builds the same.

I’m obsessing over a model 3.

From a time and part ex point of view, I’m looking for a low mileage, LR with less than 5k miles for which I’ll probably pay a few k below list price which im happy with.

If I end up with a November 2021 model for example, is there anything that I’ll lose out on by not getting a march 2022 model?
you lose the Ryzen CPU