Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decision to make----- Many will soon--Thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a fully loaded, late November 2015 "S" P90D. I was our 2nd "S". I paid almost $120,000 + tax as I recall. It has everything except 3rd seat and cold climate package. I have had very few issues. The battery pack was replaced in 2018. No issues with replacement. The worst current issue is miles at 100% (244). I have 40,000 miles on the odometer.
We love the car and bought the extra 4 years warrantee. We have 17 months left on the warrantee. I understand Tesla does NOT offer any warrantee beyond the 8 years (or we would buy it). The car does have lifetime charging and we live close to a charging station.
The question is:
1. Do we just keep the car past warrantee, until a major issue we don't want to pay for, and then sell for what we can get?
2. Do we sell it about 6 months before the warrantee runs out? Value should be good because of the free charging for life.
3. Do we trade the car for another "S" when the warrantee runs out?

Does anyone have experience after 8 years and still driving without an extended warrantee?

Thanks for all the suggestions!

... suggestions!

That depends on your budget.

The most expensive item is battery. If cheap, it would be under $20,000 but it’s more likely above that

Then the drive unit. It used to cost more than $10,000 but now it's more affordable at below that.

Either you keep the car or sell it off, you still lose lots of money.

I would guess that paying to keep it might still be a cheaper solution.

Drive it until your warranty is about to expire and then sell it and get a new Tesla (or another EV). You’ve only driven 40k miles since 2015, there is not a lot of value in unlimited supercharging in your particular case.

Reactions: mswlogo