Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Declared as a total loss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is surprising it was totaled. Keep in mind that even if they pay you out full value say $50K. They might still sell the car as salvage for $25K (I suspect salvage/parts market is probably strong too). So they are out $25K. Also insurance might have to pay out lost value too.

But it might cost OP $55K for a replacement.

Those are just example numbers. Don’t know actual numbers at all.

Insurance companies do not want to pay to fix cars. It’s easier and fewer headaches / chances of being taken for a ride by body shops if they simply pay out and be done with it. This is not a phenomenon unique to Tesla at all. It’s been going on for a few years now and is a shift in the historical way insurers have approached vehicle damage claims. Body shops are disappearing and those that remain are “R&R” shops only - no longer doing any serious metalwork.

Even though it might seem counterintuitive it’s probably sensible from an economics standpoint as it cuts out a lot of auditing, back-and-forth negotiation that involves expensive employees, etc. At the end of it all, since the insurers are subrogating a lot anyway, cutting payroll and getting people to take lowball first offers, they’re probably not losing.

They are also loathe to pay for “new” parts on a “diminished value” car. A friend of mine had a minor accident with his 911 a few years ago ago and was handed a bill for a couple thousand dollars by HIS insurance company after the repairs (the accident was not his fault either - he got sideswiped). They claimed that there were no five-year-old side view mirror or doors available to replace the damaged ones so they had to use new parts, which represented a “betterment” of his vehicle since everything else on it was five years old at the time. He ended up having to pay it - insult to injury. It was either that or get into a lawsuit (which he’d likely lose) or get dropped from coverage.

Insurance companies are ALL dirty and they don’t typically lose money. Just point it out so people know what they’re up against.

It’s not surprising at all that relatively minor accidents are resulting in “total” claims to avoid the headaches and associated hours of work. It’s because it’s penciling out in their favor when one considers all the claims involved.

This was my first Model 3 in 2018, 9 days after delivery and ~85 miles. Declared total loss after 45 days in the shop, multiple hidden damages. I guess insurance company wanted to confirm the damage.

Attachments

• 16502361910640.jpg
    16502361910640.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 205
  • 16502361910911.jpg
    16502361910911.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 135
When the whole car is stamped out of a single casting, will all accidents become a "total loss"?

Not necessary.

I seem to recall the BMW i3 was "cast" out of two halves of carbon fiber compound, that can't be easily repaired, and were fused together. In the event of appropriate damage you had to replace one of the halves.

I'm sure most were totaled but BMW did have a repair process by replacing the damaged halve.

I can't image that removing everything from the car, taking two halves apart, putting two halves back together, and putting everything back in - while expecting everything to still work again was a better choice over just totaling it.

About 20 years back, someone cut into my wife's lane abruptly, forcing her 2-year old Porsche into a spin into multiple other cars. No major structural damage but almost every body panel was dinged up. Initial repair estimate was for "only" about 60% of the car's value, so the other at-fault party's insurer opted to fix it - six months later, final repair ended up 110% of the used value, after replacing every single body panel, plus other things. We didn't ask them to pay for a rental car, opting to get a used third commuter car - but maybe we should have, as that added expense maybe would have pushed them to total it upfront.

All said though, we did own the car for 15 year after that, and the car was perfectly fine after the repairs. Finally traded it in for our first Tesla.

About 20 years back, someone cut into my wife's lane abruptly, forcing her 2-year old Porsche into a spin into multiple other cars. No major structural damage but almost every body panel was dinged up. Initial repair estimate was for "only" about 60% of the car's value, so the other at-fault party's insurer opted to fix it - six months later, final repair ended up 110% of the used value, after replacing every single body panel, plus other things. We didn't ask them to pay for a rental car, opting to get a used third commuter car - but maybe we should have, as that added expense maybe would have pushed them to total it upfront.

All said though, we did own the car for 15 year after that, and the car was perfectly fine after the repairs. Finally traded it in for our first Tesla.

But the trade in would be less than if it didn't have an accident on it's history I would expect so unless Tesla didn't car, they didn't even look at my trade.... ???

When I placed the order for the replacement I was told it would be 4+ months. Which I was okay with as I was work from home during the pandemic. Actually we both were. Plus we had already bought another new car at the time. So there was no need to hurry the replacement Tesla. I figured I would be going back to work when it was ready. In a actuality the car was ready in under a month. Since I was still work from home and we had the other new car I questioned just flipping the Tesla back to the market again. But I ended up just keeping it. I really enjoy driving it over the other other new car which is an Audi eTron. I don’t keep flipping as I already have a regular job that pays me well and two side gigs that pay me more. My dads been in the car business for decades - flipping and leasing cars - not something I enjoy. There are other ways to make money I enjoy more.
Just curious. What insurance company did you have? I just got rear ended with my Tesla y LR. I haven’t done the estimate. I don’t think it will be totaled (hopefully not). I’m scared because if I order new one now cost 13k more than I bought mine and the wait is like a year.

Reactions: Kimmi
Just curious. What insurance company did you have? I just got rear ended with my Tesla y LR. I haven’t done the estimate. I don’t think it will be totaled (hopefully not). I’m scared because if I order new one now cost 13k more than I bought mine and the wait is like a year.
Well depending on your states laws around how an insurance company determines value of your vehicle they would use todays market value not how much you paid for it. Also any amount they offer you is negotiable if it is a total loss.

Reactions: Occhis
So yeah in my cash when I first talked to them they said I would not get what I pushed even though I barely had the car and there was near no miles on.

When they pulled comps they were all over new prices and those were much older and way more miles.

It was a nice profit, got a newer version, extended my overall warranty.

I recently got bumped by a dodge challenger and the impact was above the driver's side rear wheel today I got a call from my insurance agent telling me, my car is a total loss. I was shocked to hear that. Please let me know your thoughts. As far as I know, I don't think this should be considered a total loss. I am thinking about getting another one, even if the insurance pays out the current value of the car. No airbags deployed, no warnings in the screen.
I just had my Tesla YP totaled after getting hit broadsided. Unlike someone else I’d the thread, I lost over 10k with the price decrease and another 5k for the wrap, etc. Paid 72k all in and they are offering me 51k. Not sure I’m sticking with Tesla due to the crappy resale. Plus it’s scary to know that even small things total the car which leaves you upside down. I was not at fault. The dealership 1 mile from home has about 50 cars on the lot that are available. Even with the price decrease from Tesla I’m still Out over $10k to replace the YP.

I just had my Tesla YP totaled after getting hit broadsided. Unlike someone else I’d the thread, I lost over 10k with the price decrease and another 5k for the wrap, etc. Paid 72k all in and they are offering me 51k. Not sure I’m sticking with Tesla due to the crappy resale. Plus it’s scary to know that even small things total the car which leaves you upside down. I was not at fault. The dealership 1 mile from home has about 50 cars on the lot that are available. Even with the price decrease from Tesla I’m still Out over $10k to replace the YP.
Other guy’s insurer paid for my PPF and ceramic coating when my S was totaled recently. Also, for comps insist on Tesla used inventory pricing. Don’t let the insurer push CCC appraisal withou factoring in Tesla listed pre-owned inventory for your region

Reactions: buckets0fun
But the trade in would be less than if it didn't have an accident on it's history I would expect so unless Tesla didn't car, they didn't even look at my trade.... ???
Coming back to this thread more than a year late, so thought I'd just finish my tale for completeness, as there's still a bit of activity here (which is how I stumbled back here ha ha)...

Yes, for sure a major repair would impact the resale/trade value, and if we'd known upfront it was going to be such an expensive (as well as lengthy) repair, we would've certainly argued for it to be totaled. But we were naive then, esp I didn't think 2-year old cars would readily be totaled, and in any case planned to keep the car a long time, which we did - it worked and looked great after we got it back. Resale value only matters when a car is like young, as by 16 years old, losing 20% of nothing is still, well nothing.

Or if a car has any sort of value at that point, it is probably increasing in value, as with our case an early model Porsche Boxster (not a collectible by any stretch, but apparently has some enthusiast value). The Tesla trade-in seemed like the typical lowball, a few thousand less than blue book - but we still came out ahead. Why? Well, the car had been throwing occasional emission error codes for a few years, so while it kept passing smog beautifully, there would soon come a year when we'd be facing a $5000 catalytic converter replacement to keep it on the road, on top of an impending need for a new convertible softtop ($1-2K). Tesla didn't care, didn't even look at it when we came in and took delivery of our new Model S.

Anyways, wrt to the thread topic, used car values have crashed a year later, and just a month ago my now 6-year old Model S was totaled by a drunk driver running a red light. Our damage was mainly to the front bumper and hood, definitely looked repairable and no battery damage - but since the airbags went off, it was an automatic total loss (this was before our insurer even had the car in their possession to inspect). I've also realized since that some big HV battery fuses blow anytime the airbags go off - which explains why the car lost not just HV power, but eventually 12V power about 2 hrs later as well. So add airbag/dash and HV fuse to repair costs, I get it now...