Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dedham, MA Tesla woes... "Hugh"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it's about 4pm on a Friday night on the 15th of November, on "Delivery Day Eve." I get a call from Hugh in the Dedham, MA delivery center confirming my pickup at 12:30pm on Saturday, November 16th. Awesome, I'm getting excited... but then Mr. Hugh says

"Well I noticed that your trade in offer was made past the 30 day window and I need to confirm with you the odometer reading." (alarm bells ringing because I'm getting the sense he is trying to give a reason to delay"

"Well, yeah, that car has been parked and covered since I put in the order so I wouldn't put miles on it. It really hasn't left my house at all and is actually less than the mileage that I originally thought it was... and I'm at work right now, so I guess I can try to call my son to ask him to take another look if you need the number still. Also my sales advisor said that it would be ok as long as the mileage is not above what we listed it as."

"No, that's OK - as long as it is at or below the number here we should be fine."

"Great. Is there anything else you need from me?"

"No, looks like we're all set then. See you tomorrow!" Awesome...I'm happy that things are falling into place after waiting 4 more weeks than what the original estimated delivery date was.

So then my phone rings again not more than 25 min after the first call.... it's Mr. Hugh... just at 4:30pm on a Friday

"So, I am sorry to say you won't be able to take delivery tomorrow because our system is down and we cannot finalize the registration that we need to send to your insurance so that it's covered."

"oh, no problem - I had already preemptively had my insurance company write up a binder which shows my car with the vin and everything already on my policy, I can send it to you via email right now if you'd like to see it."

mumble mumble... "Let me ask my team here."

"yeah, I'm sorry that's not going to work, you're going to have to pick up delivery sometime in the next week."

"OK, so that's not going to work. The reason I chose Saturday is that that is when my wife and I can be off work to take delivery. Is there no other options here so that we can make this work for this weekend, otherwise we'll need to wait until next Saturday?"

"Well, we're not even sure when the system will be up again, so there's a chance you won't be able to pick it up on Monday."

"OK... so what are my options?"

"I'm sorry, I don't have any other options... and I need to make 15 other calls tonight"

WTF!!!!!!???? I don't care about the other 15 people you need to call. What are you doing to FIX THIS????

I went from thrilled to pissed off and about ready to storm the gates all in one afternoon.

Sounds like standard customer service at Tesla these days.

Don’t worry though. It will get exponentially worse after they have your money.

And this is a company that relies on word of mouth advertising.

Worse how? I need to know what exactly I'm getting into. I heard that the delivery process was awful but that the vehicle itself is well worth the wait. I have been religiously checking in on what to expect, but THIS, I did not expect.

Please inform the uninformed as I am starting to feel this whole thing is just a big scam - if it wasn't for the handful of Model 3s I see roaming around Massachusetts.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Why again do we put up with this crap? For what other product in the world would we accept this?I've never owned a German brand, so can't speak to how they treat their customers, but Toyota Honda and Lexus, vehicles I have owned, treated me like they actually wanted me to buy their product. For a supposed genius, Elon sure doesn't seem to get that the product will only get you so far.

I've queued it up for the Tesla defenders to tell me I should cancel so that the other supposed billion people can order their Model 3. It's as if they don't realize that Tesla only owns the market for electric cars. Compare that to how many gas guzzling trucks are sold each day, and it's a drop in the bucket. My point is that Elon's goal of getting an electric vehicle in everyone's garage is never going to happen. And if it does, it's certainly won't be mostly Tesla's. History is ripe with cases of companies seemingly owning the market, only to fall flat on their face and not exist 10 years later.

Why again do we put up with this crap? For what other product in the world would we accept this?I've never owned a German brand, so can't speak to how they treat their customers, but Toyota Honda and Lexus, vehicles I have owned, treated me like they actually wanted me to buy their product. For a supposed genius, Elon sure doesn't seem to get that the product will only get you so far.

When I bought my BMW 3 Series, I was practically given the keys to the dealership - you'd think I was a king or something. Sad thing is that I paid way less for that car than I am expecting to pay for this Model 3

I've queued it up for the Tesla defenders to tell me I should cancel so that the other supposed billion people can order their Model 3. It's as if they don't realize that Tesla only owns the market for electric cars.C that to how many gas guzzling trucks are sold each day, and it's a drop in the bucket. My point is that Elon's goal of getting an electric vehicle in everyone's garage is never going to happen. And if it does, it's certainly won't be mostly Tesla's. History is ripe with cases of companies seemingly owning the market, only to fall flat on their face and not exist 10 years later.

That seems to be the answer - well, then just cancel! Sure, I can do that. And I still just might. They likely will just find another dunce who is willing to also put their hard earned money into a company that doesn't really care about what it's trying to do?

We're part of an environmental movement you say? What kind of movement do you know of that craps on their followers? Don't get me started on politics!

Worse how? I need to know what exactly I'm getting into. I heard that the delivery process was awful but that the vehicle itself is well worth the wait. I have been religiously checking in on what to expect, but THIS, I did not expect.

Customer service is generally very difficult to get a hold of. If you are lucky and your local service center is good, you will have a good experience. However, more and more service centers no longer staff folks on the phone or respond to emails and text messages so your only contact option is the app.

I recommend you take a look at the Yelp reviews of your local service center, or talk to other local owners (maybe at a cars and coffee) and see what their experiences are. You can also try to contact the service center directly yourself and see how hard it is.

Also note that many locations have discontinued their loaner program and are now only issuing Uber credits.

• Informative
Customer service is generally very difficult to get a hold of. If you are lucky and your local service center is good, you will have a good experience. However, more and more service centers no longer staff folks on the phone or respond to emails and text messages so your only contact option is the app.

I recommend you take a look at the Yelp reviews of your local service center, or talk to other local owners (maybe at a cars and coffee) and see what their experiences are. You can also try to contact the service center directly yourself and see how hard it is.

Also note that many locations have discontinued their loaner program and are now only issuing Uber credits.

So interestingly enough, yelp reviews for the Dedham location on its surface don't look bad. But then you dig deeper to see that there are a ton of reviews with no comments, just the stars. Makes me believe that someone is purposely voting up this location artificially to overcome the bad reviews. Also on Google review.

I'd like to see Tesla actually work to resolve the issue versus have their own customers try to come up with creative solutions. How about that and actually working to make those of us who are being wronged feel like they care... ?

So interestingly enough, yelp reviews for the Dedham location on its surface don't look bad. But then you dig deeper to see that there are a ton of reviews with no comments, just the stars. Makes me believe that someone is purposely voting up this location artificially to overcome the bad reviews. Also on Google review.

I'd like to see Tesla actually work to resolve the issue versus have their own customers try to come up with creative solutions. How about that and actually working to make those of us who are being wronged feel like they care... ?

Fakespot gives the reviews an “A”:

Fakespot | Tesla 19d6ab5e Eccf 4c7c 973f 3e9fffe546b2 Fake Review and Counterfeit Analysis

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl

Please inform the uninformed as I am starting to feel this whole thing is just a big scam - if it wasn't for the handful of Model 3s I see roaming around Massachusetts.

Well...after delivery you can never call or talk to a human. All service appts are scheduled through the app and can be weeks/months out.

Then if you need parts to go along with that service that will compound the time.

If something goes wrong under warranty they may or may not honor it.

Any promises made prior to delivery are effectively null and void. So if they tell you they’ll fix something after you sign on the dotted line, expect them not to and be happy if they do.

You know, the usual Tesla stuff.

If you get a vehicle that has zero problems you will be happy. Otherwise you’re in for it. Unfortunately there is no way to tell what your experience will be.

Surface reviews on the cars and service center are generally good but there are some real horror stories. And no matter what anyone says, depreciation will be 50%+ after only a few years. Tesla’s DO NOT hold their value (check used Model S/X prices for confirmation). The 3 has not been around long enough to take the huge hit, and for whatever reason, owners expect they are immune from it.

Well...after delivery you can never call or talk to a human. All service appts are scheduled through the app and can be weeks/months out.

Then if you need parts to go along with that service that will compound the time.

Any promises made prior to delivery are effectively null and void. So if they tell you they’ll fix something after you sign on the dotted line, expect them not to and be happy if they do.

If you get a vehicle that has zero problems you will be happy. Otherwise you’re in for it. Unfortunately there is no way to tell what your experience will be.

Surface reviews on the cars and service center are generally good but there are some real horror stories. And no matter what anyone says, depreciation will be 50%+ after only a few years. Tesla’s DO NOT hold their value (check used Model S/X prices for confirmation). The 3 has not been around long enough to take the huge hit, and for whatever reason, owners expect they are immune from it.
Damn, what a positive sounding experience. I assume you regret your purchase?

Damn, what a positive sounding experience. I assume you regret your purchase?

I regret the direction the company has opted to go in and will not be purchasing anything from them in the future.

This was not anyone’s experience prior to the Model 3 launch. Yes there were issues but you felt like you were dealing with a luxury vehicle manufacturer when they occurred. Now it’s the worst service and customer care in the industry by a wide margin.

Elon needs to go and until that happens I’m sitting on the sidelines. The founder can only take a company so far. He did his part and now it’s time for someone to step in and run the organization properly.

This is just... scary... I am not sure what to do here. Basically I am at a point of 1) asking whether I have come this far so I should see it through, or 2) run... run far far away

I need a new vehicle. This is not a toy for us. The reason we went this way was to support the cause. But it is now feeling like a terrible price to pay.

Please please please someone tell me I shouldnt worry and this is just a minor bump in the road.

Reactions: giantshark18
So then the skeptical in me thinks that this is exactly what they want because they have a buddy that wants my exact configuration and now that it's here, they're going to hand it to someone else. Paranoid? Sure why not? After all, I'm spinning out here with madness after the shenanigans this afternoon.
Did you have a VIN number? I don’t see how they can give your car to someone else.

This is just... scary... I am not sure what to do here. Basically I am at a point of 1) asking whether I have come this far so I should see it through, or 2) run... run far far away

I need a new vehicle. This is not a toy for us. The reason we went this way was to support the cause. But it is now feeling like a terrible price to pay.

Please please please someone tell me I shouldnt worry and this is just a minor bump in the road.
If it was me having gone this far, I’d wait for Monday delivery. My delivery wasn’t great and I could have walked but I don’t regret taking the car. I took delivery of a June 2018 build car in March of this year. Asking the delivery guy “where the hell has this car been all this time, I was hoping for a 2019 build?” He told me the equivalent of “ Stay in your lane bro”. So far after 7k miles the car has been great. I wish you good luck in getting your car ASAP.