Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dedicated Pearl White Picture Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
5604B222-8C3A-47A2-8EEC-C4CDEABCDF81.jpeg
B3F859AE-0349-4E8D-B51F-E10ED340B7D8.jpeg

I've looked at hundreds of pictures, read many posts and watched a few videos. I think I pretty much know everything about chrome deleting and paint protection. The one thing I can't figure out is the headlights. Is it just me, or some of these headlights look darker? If yes, how is it done. What are the rules and regulations around headlight modifications?

(Taking delivery of my white M3 performance on Friday!)

I've looked at hundreds of pictures, read many posts and watched a few videos. I think I pretty much know everything about chrome deleting and paint protection. The one thing I can't figure out is the headlights. Is it just me, or some of these headlights look darker? If yes, how is it done. What are the rules and regulations around headlight modifications?

I had mine covered in a slightly smoked PPF. Pictures on page 1 of the thread.

Looks great! Is it street legal? How much less effective are the headlights with the smoked film?
Technically no, but even at the official car inspection for where I live they didn’t notice or say a thing. The wrap doesn’t have any noticeable edges as it’s tucked in nicely. I never use any pre-cuts. However Tesla Model 3’s are so new that the guys doing inspections don’t know much about them anyway. No effect on performance of the headlights. I drive often in very dark conditions through forests and in the alps of Switzerland.

Reactions: hun
already wrapped the entire body & windows, BUT not the windshield..will 30% ppt do enough to keep the heat out in fla??
I'm also considering doing the wrap where there is a seam up at the top of the windShield ..any thoughts??
I have never had the tint on the windshield before in all of my previous cars and never had the heat-rejection tint done. You can notice the difference with the film and without when they do the test with a handheld heater. With that said, if the car sits in the sun for a long time, I don't think any film will keep the car cool but I think the biggest difference will be when you drive and it won't burn your face!

I have never had the tint on the windshield before in all of my previous cars and never had the heat-rejection tint done. You can notice the difference with the film and without when they do the test with a handheld heater. With that said, if the car sits in the sun for a long time, I don't think any film will keep the car cool but I think the biggest difference will be when you drive and it won't burn your face!
My 3 sits in the south Florida sun 8+ hours per day 5 days a week at the office and my Xpel Prime XR ceramic film keeps the cabin cool. Windshield film is 20% - remainder 5%. Obviously the darker the better but any quality ceramic film less than 50% or so will block a lot heat.

My 3 sits in the south Florida sun 8+ hours per day 5 days a week at the office and my Xpel Prime XR ceramic film keeps the cabin cool. Windshield film is 20% - remainder 5%. Obviously the darker the better but any quality ceramic film less than 50% or so will block a lot heat.

My understanding was that the tint% doesn't matter and that all of the Prime XR is 98% heat rejection, is that wrong?

My car was white before I got it wrapped blue. Just a note the 3 already has black painted housings so the headlights are already black. Just has 2 silver areas in each headlight that's for the LED's to reflect off to increase output. Smoke film just decreases headlight output which is not good.

I put smoked film over my headlights about a month ago as a test and it was terrible. Don't mind the poor job I did. Bought a kit from China for $20. I already knew I didn't like it after the first side but just wanted to see the look of both tinted. I suppose it would look sick if done properly and if I had black interior but the headlight output is what was horrid.

Eqy4w45.jpg

XutPvNW.jpg

Left in this pic has tint off and right side has the tint on. Notice the decreased output on the right

EwwlFdi.jpg

You can see the difference in output

0StjU5g.jpg

What you can do is get the silver pieces in the headlight housing painted black, but that costs way more. I like the lights how they are. Or there might be lighter hues of smoke film, but I've done it already and didn't care for it.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hun
After looking at the M3 for years and trying to decide on any other color but white, I morphed into the notion that the only correct color for an M3 IS white. I am considering to powder coat the 19 inch silver OEM wheels to a satin gray. But, what would happen 4-5 years from now should I want to trade-in the car to Tesla? Would Tesla make a deduction in value due to the powder coat?

Reactions: Slate
After looking at the M3 for years and trying to decide on any other color but white, I morphed into the notion that the only correct color for an M3 IS white. I am considering to powder coat the 19 inch silver OEM wheels to a satin gray. But, what would happen 4-5 years from now should I want to trade-in the car to Tesla? Would Tesla make a deduction in value due to the powder coat?
WHITE is the best! :cool: I'm powder costing my wheels as well. I doubt Tesla will ding you for different color wheels - do it and enjoy your ride! Life is short.