Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Default right scroll wheel function

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20231119_150043.jpg

Let's talk about what to do with the right scroll wheel.

By default, the right scroll wheel doesn't do anything (at least for model 3) unless you activate autopilot. There could be many useful functions.

The best function I can think of is to switch between background apps. Another one is to minimize our maximize an open app. For example, if you have the radio up, scrolling down would minimize the radio so so you can see the map.

What do you think?

View attachment 992096

Let's talk about what to do with the right scroll wheel.

By default, the right scroll wheel doesn't do anything (at least for model 3) unless you activate autopilot. There could be many useful functions.

The best function I can think of is to switch between background apps. Another one is to minimize our maximize an open app. For example, if you have the radio up, scrolling down would minimize the radio so so you can see the map.

What do you think?
I’d adjust the cruise control speed

Tom

Thanks. I’ll try that. I’m finding the documentation less than clear.

Tom
The documentation seems fairly clear on what the scroll wheels do in the steering wheel section (right scroll wheel activates voice commands on press, but scroll/left/right is used for TACC/AP).
https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/...FC-8D10-B7B1BBCFCB1F.html#CONCEPT_EQF_XS1_K4B

It also describes how to change the set speed and follow distance using the right scroll wheel.
https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/...tml#GUID-842DBF70-E101-4250-8CA5-DCE6135D7149

The documentation seems fairly clear on what the scroll wheels do in the steering wheel section (right scroll wheel activates voice commands on press, but scroll/left/right is used for TACC/AP).
https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/...FC-8D10-B7B1BBCFCB1F.html#CONCEPT_EQF_XS1_K4B

It also describes how to change the set speed and follow distance using the right scroll wheel.
https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/...tml#GUID-842DBF70-E101-4250-8CA5-DCE6135D7149
But by default it doesn't do anything

I think the idea of having it do different things depending on whether or not TACC/AP/FSD is active is problematic, and that's why Tesla doesn't do it. Too much potential for confusion, and that could be unsafe depending on the situation.

Also, just to clarify, the left/right click of the right scroll wheel will adjust following distance even when TACC/AP/FSD is not engaged, so it's just up/down that doesn't do anything when TACC/AP/FSD isn't engaged.

Reactions: RTPEV
I came here to say exactly the same thing that @jsmay311 did, and while I don't like needlessly reiterating things, I'll do it this time because it's important. It will be very confusing and potentially dangerous to have a given control do two different things based on what mode the car is in. Especially the scrolling action. Imagine someone being used to scrolling up/down to remove an app from the display (or whatever alternate function you assign to it) but they didn't realize they were in cruise/AP and suddenly they've sped up or slowed down their car...which may be startling to them.

In general I'm not a fan of overloading functions on buttons for want of a minimalist design (which is certainly Elon's vision). Granted, I don't want a huge array of buttons and knobs either, so it's a balance, but it's like my wireless headset. The one I had 15 years ago was great: it had one button for answer/hang up; one for mute; and another to control the volume. But then the minimalist folks came in and wanted to combine all of those into a single button, including the pairing function. So now to mute/unmute you need to press the button for 2 seconds (not exactly helpful when you need to mute/unmute fast). And to pair the device, you have to press the button for 5 seconds or more to turn it off, then turn it back on while holding the button in until it starts blinking. No thank you.

Reactions: jsmay311