Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Defective upholstery in Tesla Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a big complaint.
My 2022 Tesla Y leatherette upholstery has started to peel after only 18 months. No matter what excuse you have about my personal products body oils, etc, this should NOT happen. A standard quality synthetic leather under standard conditions should last at least 10 years. Unfortunately your buyer/ supplier did not do their research and chose an inferior product. For example, we have 2 types of exam tables at my office. One is peeling after several uses and the other tough as can be. The latter is wiped w all types of cleaning hospital grade cleaners and still intact .They feel the same texture, look the same. Just one is higher quality than the other.

The Tesla product is defective bc the average consumer with standard use should get at least 10 years of use from the upholstery of their new car. This has been my experience with all my previous non Tesla vehicles.

Saying it is my fault that the upholstery peeling prematurely is no excuse. You need to upgrade your synthetic upholstery bc a better products are available. Take responsibility. There needs to be a recall and this defect fixed. Anyone else hav e this concern? Can file w FTC and you state attorney general

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 5.40.36 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 5.40.36 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 56
  • Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
This post is written like you think you are writing to Tesla itself:

No matter what excuse you have about my personal products body oils, etc, this should NOT happen.

This site is not affiliated with Tesla itself in any way other than being a fan site. This complaint will likely not reach anyone in Tesla. I just figured I would let you know since this is written like you think you are reaching Tesla.

Million cars sold, and it seems a tiny amount have any problems. So I would say the average user has no problem.
Despite your belief that your personal care products should NOT affect the seats, they clearly do, and maybe they’re just too strong. Nothing is impervious to certain chemicals.
I would change the head restraint, and change your hair care products.
Just my suggestion.

• Helpful
Reactions: MitchMitch
Take responsibility. There needs to be a recall and this defect fixed. Anyone else hav e this concern? Can file w FTC and you state attorney general
Maybe OP did complain to Tesla and they had her talk to the hand. In any case, let us know how your complaints to the FTC and state AG go.

Oh, did you opt out of arbitration when you bought the car? Just curious. Good luck!

Maybe OP did complain to Tesla and they had her talk to the hand. In any case, let us know how your complaints to the FTC and state AG go.

Oh, did you opt out of arbitration when you bought the car? Just curious. Good luck!
Maybe is the key word. Or they simply want to defend for a fight that hasn’t happened. Looking at the white stains all over the seat I suspect this will be reoccurring event.