Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Define Home location by GPS instead of address?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Defining Home Location.
I have entered my address as Home in Navigation. But when my car is in my garage, it thinks it is 100 feet from home. As a result, it folds the mirrors when they aren't supposed to fold at home. And my Charge Stats show my charging being done at "Other" rather than at "Home". Is there any way to set Home as "this location" when the car is in the garage?

Interesting! Thanks for checking. It's a mystery for sure. So what happens when two people are in a household and one has iOS and one has Android? ;)
Tesla uses google maps for the base, and seems to use either Mapbox or Tomtom for the map data. Those services may consolidate multiple sources. Mapbox claims they gather data from hundreds of millions of mobile devices to do map updates so it could be possible somehow that Apple maps or Google maps corrections filter to them.
Elon Musk Says Tesla Will Build Its Own Maps From GPS & Fleet Data

• Informative
Reactions: gearchruncher
Upvote 0
So I received notice back from Google that my address has been corrected (nice only took a couple days) But my car still thinks it is next door.
Any idea how often Tesla updates the maps in the car? Are is there something I could be doing on this end.
Thanks
I don't know if Tesla is still using mapbox, but you can also try correcting mapbox. Mapbox says they gather data via mobile phones so also check if Google maps on mobile is fixed. It may take some time to feed there.

Upvote 0
Thanks, Google has fix my address on there maps, it only took 3 days so that went well. Tesla uses Google Maps so at what point will my car recognise the updates and show the same location as my phone? Not sure if I can do anything to update the car. When I look at my cars location (while in the garage) it still said the car is at the address next door. Real pain for Sentry and door locks

Upvote 0
Thanks, Google has fix my address on there maps, it only took 3 days so that went well. Tesla uses Google Maps so at what point will my car recognise the updates and show the same location as my phone? Not sure if I can do anything to update the car. When I look at my cars location (while in the garage) it still said the car is at the address next door. Real pain for Sentry and door locks
Tesla does not use google maps for the map data. Tesla uses google maps for the tiles for map images, but all the addresses and navigation is provided by another provider. Again, you can try correcting it on mapbox. Tesla also used Tomtom at some point.

Reactions: gearchruncher
Upvote 0
Charged my car at home last night for the first time and it says it charged at ‘other.’ Looking in the app, it shows the car is located at my address and appears in the right spot even (in the garage).
When in the garage, enter your address in the navigation and see what happens. In my initial issue, it would guide me out of the garage and about 50' down the road since Google had my address tagged opposite that point. After they moved it to my garage the problem went away.

Upvote 0
When in the garage, enter your address in the navigation and see what happens. In my initial issue, it would guide me out of the garage and about 50' down the road since Google had my address tagged opposite that point. After they moved it to my garage the problem went away.
I just tried this. At first it thought it would have to navigate a few feet, although it still looked like it was at my house, but then it corrected itself and said Home Now.

Upvote 0
Using our home address works fine for wife’s YP when it is on driveway or in garage. Not so for my SP. so having Google change anything would probably not solve our case. I simply used a utility address that is two digits different from home. Our houses are 12 numbers apart and the various utilities use some of the numbers in between. Works like a charm even for this OCD dude. :)

Upvote 0
You’d think they would just make the geofence bigger. Sure there might be some weird edge case where you are using your neighbor’s charger, but that would be far less often than how frequent the mistakes seem now.

That said, it got it right last night after I entered my address in the navigation and let it sit for a few seconds until it realized it was at my house. Maybe the gps is more accurate when driving because it takes more readings or something?

Upvote 0
You’d think they would just make the geofence bigger. Sure there might be some weird edge case where you are using your neighbor’s charger, but that would be far less often than how frequent the mistakes seem now.

That said, it got it right last night after I entered my address in the navigation and let it sit for a few seconds until it realized it was at my house. Maybe the gps is more accurate when driving because it takes more readings or something?
For the app at least, the GPS location does not update unless the wheels are moving under the car's power. Some people have gotten their cars unknowingly towed due to this.

Upvote 0
For the app at least, the GPS location does not update unless the wheels are moving under the car's power. Some people have gotten their cars unknowingly towed due to this.
My buddy's car got repo'ed (not entirely his fault, Tesla financing never initiated payments). He walked out of his house. App said car was in driveway. It was not. :)

Upvote 0
My buddy's car got repo'ed (not entirely his fault, Tesla financing never initiated payments). He walked out of his house. App said car was in driveway. It was not. :)
Let me guess... financed through Wells Fargo?

I never wait for the financial institution to send payment information.

I called US Bank a couple days after taking delivery of my M3P to get the loan account info, and sent the first payment 5 days after getting the car.

Upvote 0
So it worked great for about a week, always recording the home charge correctly, but last night it recorded it as Other again. The location of my house looks correct, but it seems like the car doesn’t update the gps quickly enough when I park. Does it make a difference if you pause for a few seconds before parking? Does it matter if you plug in right away after driving? I.e. if you are parked for a while, it takes a fresh less accurate gps reading rather than using an accurate one at the end of a drive? Just spitballing for ways to fix it.

Upvote 0
So it worked great for about a week, always recording the home charge correctly, but last night it recorded it as Other again. The location of my house looks correct, but it seems like the car doesn’t update the gps quickly enough when I park. Does it make a difference if you pause for a few seconds before parking? Does it matter if you plug in right away after driving? I.e. if you are parked for a while, it takes a fresh less accurate gps reading rather than using an accurate one at the end of a drive? Just spitballing for ways to fix it.
For the app it only updates the GPS location while the car is moving under the vehicle's power. Maybe try pulling into your garage slower? Or pause before you fully enter (and presumably the car loses the signal)?

Upvote 0