Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

delay delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla just changed it’s policy on delaying delivery.

According to the email, the delivery window on the Design Studio when you first place your order will now be used to determine how and when you can place your order on hold. While explaining the changes, we will use a delivery window of October to December 2022, the current timeframe for a Model 3 Rear-Wheel Drive order in Canada and the US.

Tesla refers to this as your “configurator window,” saying that before the window begins you can place your order on hold, or be unmatched from a vehicle if one in your configuration arrives early.

In our example, this would mean any time before October 1.

Once October 1 hits however, you are now only allowed to place your order on a one-time 7-day hold.

If you decide to place your order on hold, once the 7 days expires, you must accept delivery or your order will be cancelled and your deposit will be forfeited.

Reactions: ord3r
Upvote 0
My Y is now slated for delivery some time in November. Does anyone know if there a way to delay delivery so I can take advantage of the $7500 tax credit after 1/1/2023?

When I put the exact same words from your thread title ("delay delivery") to search TMC, I get the following threads that have ongoing discussion on this topic. This was the first page of results, but there were 10 more pages after that. Perhaps consider joining in one of these existing discussion threads?

Upvote 0
Tesla just changed it’s policy on delaying delivery.

Heaven forbid Tesla just clarify to the general population.

It’s all so silly. Like, that article talks about it as if you placed your order now but Tesla is using that policy on people with delivery dates that were pulled in (in some cases) from their original EDD.

One of the comments there is funny, imagine not being able to take a week vacation in your window for fear of losing out on your car.

• Funny
Upvote 0

It’s all so silly. Like, that article talks about it as if you placed your order now but Tesla is using that policy on people with delivery dates that were pulled in (in some cases) from their original EDD.

One of the comments there is funny, imagine not being able to take a week vacation in your window for fear of losing out on your car.
You can still take a 1 time 7 day hold.

So your week vacation is safe. Likewise is any vacation prior to your EDD. And based on the posted policy, if your delivery date gets pulled forward you are fine.

Upvote 0

I think its pretty clear. Tesla wants people to actually take delivery of the cars they ordered, and stop trying to delay delivery.

Blame all the people who delayed last year (like is being asked in this and 10 pages of other threads on this topic) for tesla being more hard up for people to, you know, actually take delivery of the cars they ordered, instead of ordering them and trying to hedge on pricing or something else.

For every person who has a real issue, there are a bunch of people flipping reservations ("I can no longer take the car for reasons, I reserved it 6 months ago and at a price thats 5k cheaper, I am selling it for 2.5k and can transfer the entire account").

People just need to either cancel their orders, or take delivery of the car they ordered when its available. Pretty simple.

Upvote 0
I think its pretty clear. Tesla wants people to actually take delivery of the cars they ordered, and stop trying to delay delivery.

Blame all the people who delayed last year (like is being asked in this and 10 pages of other threads on this topic) for tesla being more hard up for people to, you know, actually take delivery of the cars they ordered, instead of ordering them and trying to hedge on pricing or something else.

For every person who has a real issue, there are a bunch of people flipping reservations ("I can no longer take the car for reasons, I reserved it 6 months ago and at a price thats 5k cheaper, I am selling it for 2.5k and can transfer the entire account").

People just need to either cancel their orders, or take delivery of the car they ordered when it’s available. Pretty simple.
“I think it’s pretty clear. Tesla wants people to actually take delivery of the cars they ordered, and stop trying to delay delivery”

So, I’m just gonna stop at this statement. What would make it 100% clear (not “pretty clear”) is if they released a statement on policy to the general public. This is so standard it’s weird to me someone would be against it.

Upvote 0
“I think it’s pretty clear. Tesla wants people to actually take delivery of the cars they ordered, and stop trying to delay delivery”

So, I’m just gonna stop at this statement. What would make it 100% clear (not “pretty clear”) is if they released a statement on policy to the general public. This is so standard it’s weird to me someone would be against it.

The policy is in your order agreement, the one that you agreed to when you put your deposit down, spelled out "very clearly". The reason they cant make a blanket statement is because they have order agreements that people have "from before".

You want to know what yours says, go look at the MVPA agreeement that is in your tesla account for the car you ordered. It spells out your agreement in detail, including the how long you can delay, what they consider a delay, and when you forfeit your deposit. Its all there.

If you have not ordered yet, it will be in there when you order. Its not relevant before then, because people shouldnt be ordering before they are actually ready to take delivery of a car. If they dont want it till next year, then they shouldnt order till next year.

Upvote 0
The policy is in your order agreement, the one that you agreed to when you put your deposit down, spelled out "very clearly". The reason they cant make a blanket statement is because they have order agreements that people have "from before".

You want to know what yours says, go look at the MVPA agreeement that is in your tesla account for the car you ordered. It spells out your agreement in detail, including the how long you can delay, what they consider a delay, and when you forfeit your deposit. Its all there.

If you have not ordered yet, it will be in there when you order. Its not relevant before then, because people shouldnt be ordering before they are actually ready to take delivery of a car. If they dont want it till next year, then they shouldnt order till next year.
Yes, mine says I have to take delivery within 30 days of the first attempt, ordered early Mayish.

This article and people’s experiences say they are enforcing different rules. Isn’t that the whole point here? Replying to the above person’s article?

It’s just a head scratcher that people want to maintain less transparency (yes, seeing policy changes via leaked internal communications isn’t transparency).

Upvote 0
my order agreement says I have to take delivery within 30 days of the first attempt when I placed the order in March.
Now VIN assigned an updated version of agreement attached saying 14 days instaed of 30.
So legally do both parties follow the updated agreement or original? Need a legal expert to answer

Upvote 0