Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delaying fall delivery for EV credit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Xerxes5!

Aug 20, 2022
Dc
Hello! I have a Y scheduled for delivery this fall, but would love to get the credit by having it delivered post January 1. I know I can decline once - how long does it take after that? Any other advice?

What does that mean? And what incentive do they have to not delay? Just move deliveries earlier?

The question should be "what reason do they have to allow everyone to delay their orders till after the new year?" and the answer to that is "none", they need to make and move cars, and deliver them to people who ordered. One should not order something they are not willing to take delivery of.

What does that mean? And what incentive do they have to not delay? Just move deliveries earlier?
They have no incentive to allow you to delay. They're in the business of delivering cars. And they are honoring the price they gave you at the time you ordered, despite the fact that inflation has likely made everything much more expensive since then. If you don't want the car, I'm sure they'd be happy to allow you to cancel the order and then place a new one at the current price.

Reactions: KJD
Question related to delaying delivery... When I ordered my MYLR two months ago on 6/23, I was given a range of January - April 2023, which was perfect: I was waiting until at least January 2023 delivery because I will be getting promoted around Jan 2023 and will lose access to my company vehicle. However, over the last two months, my delivery window has been getting pushed up: first Dec 2022 - Feb 2023 (no issue there), and most recently today, Oct - Nov 2022. This is MUCH earlier than my estimated delivery range, and I understand that nothing is set in stone until I get a VIN. Say I get a VIN in Oct/Nov 2022, what can I do to delay delivery of my MYLR to align with the time frame I was originally quoted (Jan - April 2023)?

Question related to delaying delivery... When I ordered my MYLR two months ago on 6/23, I was given a range of January - April 2023, which was perfect: I was waiting until at least January 2023 delivery because I will be getting promoted around Jan 2023 and will lose access to my company vehicle. However, over the last two months, my delivery window has been getting pushed up: first Dec 2022 - Feb 2023 (no issue there), and most recently today, Oct - Nov 2022. This is MUCH earlier than my estimated delivery range, and I understand that nothing is set in stone until I get a VIN. Say I get a VIN in Oct/Nov 2022, what can I do to delay delivery of my MYLR to align with the time frame I was originally quoted (Jan - April 2023)?
It’s not going to happen. Read any post on recent Y deliveries. Once they give you a VIN they are cracking down on postponement. Maybe someone gets lucky, and even then it’s out 30 days - MAX.

Ordered 3/22. Got bumped up deliver my car this week out of nowhere! Was originally late December/January. Called my local Tesla center. Asked if I could put my delivery on hold until 1/1/23 to get the 7,5000. They said yes! And I kept my original price. I have heard mixed results but it worked for me Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: roostY
Why is there so much negativity on threads like this? Everyone is different as is their financial situation which can be fluid. Forums are designed to be helpful. Where new people can come to find out information. Answers like “One should not order something they are not willing to take delivery of” is less than helpful. If in your opinion Tesla will not allow people to delay orders, fine say that but trying to shame people because they are trying to make their own financial decision makes no sense in a forum for a car we all seem to like.

Tesla is certainly making decisions in its own financial interest, why wouldn’t the consumer and why is it all of a sudden bad if they do??? Like it or not the new ev tax credit is incentivizing people to wait until 2023 to take delivery of their vehicles. Tesla is incentivized to move as many vehicles in the 4th quarter as they can. Timing of the new bill put the two diametrically opposed to one another. Don’t blame people for asking for completely legitimate ways to save 7,500 on a new vehicle. Who wouldn’t try if the car maker allowed it?

Why is there so much negativity on threads like this? Everyone is different as is their financial situation which can be fluid. Forums are designed to be helpful. Where new people can come to find out information. Answers like “One should not order something they are not willing to take delivery of” is less than helpful. If in your opinion Tesla will not allow people to delay orders, fine say that but trying to shame people because they are trying to make their own financial decision makes no sense in a forum for a car we all seem to like.

Tesla is certainly making decisions in its own financial interest, why wouldn’t the consumer and why is it all of a sudden bad if they do??? Like it or not the new ev tax credit is incentivizing people to wait until 2023 to take delivery of their vehicles. Tesla is incentivized to move as many vehicles in the 4th quarter as they can. Timing of the new bill put the two diametrically opposed to one another. Don’t blame people for asking for completely legitimate ways to save 7,500 on a new vehicle. Who wouldn’t try if the car maker allowed it?
Is it negative or do people not like the correct answer? You configure and build a car you committed to purchase. Waiting for a promotion and “add story here” was not part of your agreement. Easy enough to cancel and reorder at the Current price when it meets your time line. Simple enough.

Lots of angry car flippers out there who lost their cash cow because of the rebate. Just ignore them.

If Tesla can delay my order 7 months then I see nothing wrong with asking them to delay it half of that.

Is it negative or do people not like the correct answer? You configure and build a car you committed to purchase. Waiting for a promotion and “add story here” was not part of your agreement. Easy enough to cancel and reorder at the Current price when it meets your time line. Simple enough.
Totally agree. If canceling the order is the only way to do it so be it. However if Tesla allows people to put it on hold or delay than just as fine right? This is all caused by three things coming together to form the perfect storm only one of which people can control.
1) Unprecedented wait times (Tesla)
2) EV tax credit that takes affect 5 months after the bill is passed. (Government)
3) Ordering one of the most popular cars in the world (The individual)
Take away any one of those factors and this isn’t even a discussion. Just remember the individual is only ONE factor here. 👍

All I’m saying is most of us come to these forums to research, share information and explore options. Somehow shaming people because they are trying to explore their options isn’t what these forums should be about.

Which is cheaper? Paying the new price or getting the tax credit?
Sure, Tesla delayed the order because they couldn't build it - but the kept the price locked in. In that case they didn't have a car so had nothing invested. If anything it cost them more to find the parts needed to build it.
Difference with you delaying is that they've now built the car and have all that cash locked away in the car until you take it - at this point it's costing them money that they could easily recoup by giving it to someone who can take it.

Cancel your order and place a new one at the higher price and you get that timeframe.

Some people are providing feedback from their experiences that differs from the standard snark, seems like this thread is entirely warranted.

I’ve seen 30 day delays, delays to original EDD and now a user saying they were able to push out to 1/1/22. I’d rather see more on-topic feedback like that then being told we can cancel our orders.

Like ya, I know boomer.

• Disagree
Lots of angry car flippers out there who lost their cash cow because of the rebate. Just ignore them.

If Tesla can delay my order 7 months then I see nothing wrong with asking them to delay it half of that.

"If Tesla can delay my order 7 month" - SAs can do that. I got an "unasked for" 6 month MYLR delay back in 2021 after I bought a demo Y and another 6-7 month delay on a separate Model 3 RWD order I had also. I was only expecting a hold for 30-60 days but the SA gave me a long extension.

However, Tesla HQ had other ideas two months later. They forced an unhold after 120 days (after original order date) as I recall. I got a VIN a week or two later.

So your SA can do whatever he/she wants with the order... but I will warn you that Tesla HQ will send an e-mail and force unhold your order.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54

Look at the main site now... all MYLRs can be delivered between Dec 2022 - Apr 2023. Even the base white model which used to be 8+ months.

Production has ramped up significantly according to a source of mine. I suspect most orders made before today will be delivered by the end of 2022.

I would just take delivery and enjoy it.